Hi all, looking for some advice on clubs to join in Melbourne. I tend to play 2 times a week (would like to make it 3), with 1-2 times per week on the range mixed in. I've been thinking it may make more financial sense for me to join a club. I generally play on the weekend, but am getting out more early mornings on weekdays.

So far, I've considered, in general order of driving distance from me: Yarra Yarra, Spring Valley, Churchill-Waverley, Rosanna, Southern GC, Woodlands, Cardinia Beaconhills, Settler's Run, Gardiner's Run, Yering Meadows and Eastern GC.

Seems Yarra Yarra, Rosanna and Woodlands are pretty expensive for me ($10k+ joining fees, but I'm not 100% sure about that or their annual subscriptions). Rosanna seems nice, but its membership application process is a bit opaque, plus I'd really prefer to avoid the 'mudbelt' (assuming its regarded as part of the 'mudbelt'). I heard Woodlands' waiting list is really long. Churchill-Waverley has ugly powerlines going over it. Cardinia Beaconhills, Settler's Run and Gardiner's Run all seem nice, but a bit far at 45-60 mins drive for me. Heard Yering Meadows has a gun club next door, which is distracting. Recently heard bad things about Eastern GC's course design.

I know there are plenty of exclusive, expensive Sandbelt clubs I've left out, like Commonwealth, Metro, Capital, Victoria, RMGC, Huntingdale and Kingston Heath. I'm obviously just not sure about their actual fees (joining and annual), membership process and waiting lists.

This has kind of left me with Spring Valley and Southern GC, which seem to be decent 2nd/3rd tier Sandbelt courses reasonably close to me. I've heard their waiting lists are not that crushing.

Spring Valley's joining fee is $6000 and 7-day membership currently ranges from $4019 - $5024 p.a. I know from one of Spring Valley's annual reports that some of its land has recently been acquired by the local council, but planning maps show it won't likely affect the layout or holes (it seems the acquisition just partly cuts into a track of trees). It's been acquired as part of the council's redevelopment of the of the old adjacent rubbish tip as part of the Sandbelt Parkland project.

Southern GC's joining fee is apparently $2000 and 7-day membership ranges from $3055 - $3760 p.a. Unfortunately, their range is very short, so no driving allowed.

For me, I'd prioritise a club with good practice facilities and decent course conditions (doesn't have to be incredible).

What I'd like help with is understanding:
(1) how people rate the above courses/facilities;
(2) how people make the most of their memberships (beyond playing as regularly as possible);
(3) how important club practice facilities to you are;
(4) how important travel time to and from your club is to you;
(5) if any of the things I've heard about the above clubs are wrong/misconceptions;
(6) if I should consider any other clubs; and
(7) anything else I should know or try to find out about clubs?

Cheers all.