A couple of recent experiences make me wonder if there's anyone out there who plays a 3 wood as his driver.

I played 18 in an ambrose at Virginia on Friday & hit my driver like crap. Found it hard to hit the centre of the club (yes, I know it was me, not the club) A mate I played with has been raving about his G10 3 wood & how he can barely be bothered hitting his driver because his 3 wood is effortless, accurate & long. I witnessed first hand on the front 9 how well he hit his 3 wood. On the back 9 when we were looking good on the scorecard, my mate switched to his driver & never played anywhere near as good as his 3 wood.

So I pick up my new 3 wood over the weekend and play 9 holes on Sunday morning where I deliberately left the driver in the bag. Here are my gps verified distances, and results, with the 3 wood.

1st tee (warming up) - fairway hit - 230 metres.
Next drive - caught it a little fat - fairway hit - 220 metres.
Next drive - fairway hit - 240 metres.
Next drive - fairway hit - 250 metres.
Footnote: par threes removed from score. 240m drives rounded off. No embellishments with the driving distances.

After the round, I was thinking that if you can hit the fairway more times than not with a long 3 wood, why even touch the driver.

Anyone have any similar experiences/thoughts?