Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Default 2007 QLD Matchplay

Draw attached
    Attached Images
    Last edited by PeteyD; 24th September 2007 at 08:59 PM.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

6??!?!

you f#cking burgular - we'll be playing off the stick.

How about Indro in a couple of weeks then? Or RQ week after the plate?

I need some home track advantage.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Major Winner

How about somewhere where we both play sh!t? I suck at par 3's so RQ is out. Indro might be the go at least I know most of people who work in the shop so I might get a discount .
    I'm back.

Senior Member Major Winner

Moe? Neutral venue, It's been about 100 years since I played there.
    I'm back.

sounds ok to me, put up some potential dates and let me know
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Locked in.

Matchplay Round 2, AndyP vs Rusty.
    Saturday, June 9. Mt Coolum GC.
    Result - All square.

There was some good golf and some shocking golf, but in the end neither could declare that they were the best or worst. I did, however, find it amusing that Rusty beat me off the stick by 4 shots.

A replay (my fifth match of the year) is tomorrow at Beerwah.

goughy

Jeeze andy, your getting the most value for money out of the matchplay aren't ya!!!

Considering that I was meant to have a bye in the first round, yes.

Both of our clutch up & downs with tough putts on 18, is what it is all about and why we have the OZgolf matchplay.

goughy

So, with 5 matches so far does that mean we declare you 2006 matchplay champion??

I thought I'd do a Westy-style rundown of the matchplay contest I had with Rusty. Sorry if it's a bit long, but it's not like I can finish a matchplay within 18 holes........

Mt Coolum (The battle)

1: Two errant drives, but Rusty plays a safe recovery, while I dump mine in the water. Rusty 1up.

2: Both miss the green with relatively short approach shots. Rusty chips closer than I do, but misses a putt he feels he should have got. Halved. Rusty 1up.

3: Once again it came down to the short game, with two missed greens, but I win on this occasion. All square.

4: Rusty gets a shot here on this 543m par 5. Both of us have to hit hybrid/woods into the green, I miss right behind trees, Rusty misses left. My chip fails to run on through the slop. Rusty lobs over the bunker, and with one bounce it drops in the hole. Rusty 1up.

5: 192m par 3. Another short game battle. Rusty get up & down, I don't. Rusty 2up.

6: Rusty gets a shot on another par 5. His second shot disappears into the water, and doesn't recover enough to beat my par. Rusty 1up.
    7: Rusty struggles on this hole going right, then left, then airmailing the green. My careless bogey is enough. All square.

8: Par 3. I hit it on the green, Rusty doesn't, and fails to get up & down. AndyP 1up.

9: Long par 4. Both of us finish short of the green with our approaches with woods. I hit a fat chip, followed by a knife into the back trap. Rusty probably got up and down. No contest. All square at the halfway point.

10: Both of us get it on the green of the par 3, then pump our first putts down the tier too long. We also then make good putts back to halve. All square.

11: Rusty has an errant drive down the right, that finishes in the trees. He's never able to get away from the right, and a careless 3 putt bogey by me knowing the hole is won is enough. AndyP 1up.

12: Par 3. I miss left, while Rusty hits the green. A good chip and putt save me from losing the hole. AndyP 1up.

13: Rusty gets a shot on another par 5. Both of us hook it into the scrub and I recover slightly better for us to be sitting at 4 and 5 shots apiece 180-190m out (so it is even with the shot given). I opt for a 3W (inspired decision ) and put i t straight in the hazard right. Rusty still decides to go with a wood, but misses to the safer left side. My attempted hero shots don't save me and Rusty's 8 beats my 10. All square.

14: Par 3. I miss left but safe, while Rusty puts it into the hazard. He takes a drop and puts his chip close, while I leave mine short and 2 putt. For me, a disappointing half. All square.

15: Another shot to Rusty. Guess what? It's a par 5. Rusty blows another shot hole, while I have a solid par. AndyP 1up.

16: I miss right short, while Rusty falls short of the narrow par 3. I fall short again with the chip (Rusty looking good for the hole), while Rusty puts his too far past and leaves a tough downhill putt. My next chip hits the flag and gets rejected (I think it would have gone in without the flag), and leaves me a tap-in bogey. Rusty's first putt down the hill gathers speed and goes miles past (I'm looking good for the hole), however he makes a great putt back and it's halved. AndyP 1up.

17: Short par 5. Two differing 2nd shots here. My 6I safe shot to the corner, fades right and is pushed by the wind into the trees on the corner of the dogleg to the green. Rusty decides to take on the water and bunker carry from 190m for his second shot and hits a superb shot which hits the green and runs just off the back. I'm shocked that he even went for it. I now I have to go for it now, and try for an ambitious shot through the trees to the green, which clips some branches and plonks in the water. Rusty pars to make it all square heading down the last.

18: 275m par 4. Rusty puts his T-shot slightly right, but with access to the green, I hit down the centre. Rusty gets his approach onto the false front of the elevated green, and sees it roll back off. I push my approach right yet again. Rusty then puts the pressure on me by running his chip nicely to a couple of metres past the hole. I manage not to choke, and lob it a couple of metres short. I get to go first and nab the clutch putt to put it back on Rusty. He's up to it and unbelievably I have another tied match.

Beerwah (the beating)

19: Both drives look pretty good, but Rusty has gone thru the corner of the dogleg. I put my 4 iron on the green (nice start), and Rusty finds the water from the trees. AndyP 1up.

20: Short par 3 to a temp green. I'm up first and I'm baffled by the distance, as there is no sign for the distance to the green. It messes with my head and I hit it super-fat. Rusty knocks it on to the tiny temp green, while I pitch it past, and chop it around. All square.

21: Both approaches miss, mine long, Rusty left. Rustys has a good up & down, I fail. Rusty 1up.

22: Rusty gets a shot on a short par 4. Although I pull my drive left and Rusty is straight, I manage a GIR as does Rusty. Neither of us make the putts, but both par. Rusty 2up.

23: Par 3. Rusty sprays his T-shot left, while mine is straighter, but just short. Rusty's ended up on the fringe and chips to just past the hole, while I manage to finish outside him and miss the putt and the one hand attempt at a tap in. While I trudge away, Rusty knocks in his par putt. Rusty 3up.

24: Rusty hits his drive down the middle again, while I pull one left. I hit my approach from the trees fat, while Rusty misses the green left. My approach from 75m is just short of the pin. Rusty gets up & down, while I make the putt, and hold off Rusty's run. Rusty 3up.

25: Rusty middle, me left again on a par 5, however we are both in alright position for our approaches. He just goes through the green, while I spray mine right and long. Rusty gets up & down for par again (as I'm beginning to expect by now) and I don't. Rusty 4up.

26: Rusty has a shot on this par 5. See previous 2 holes for T-shot results. I manage a bogey, which is nowhere near good enough for Rusty's regulation par, which makes 7 pars in a row (+2 off the stick). Rusty 5up thru 8.

27: Rusty plays conservatively up the fairway, while I take on the bunkers with the driver and succeed. Rusty's approach goes right into the bunker, while I manage to miss another green, this time long. Rusty leaves his first in the trap, but gets the second out pretty close, then gets the putt. I was left with a testing putt after my chip, but manage to bookend the nine with wins . (jarro is getting SMSs by this stage) Rusty 4up.

28: I take advantage of my T-shot on the toughest hole on the course by blowing my drive right. On coming back from filling my water bottle, I find Rusty's T-shot sitting in the middle of the fairway in "the mayor's office". Where else would it be? He gets yet another par (8 in 10) to stretch his lead. Rusty 5up.

29: I drive down the middle of this par 5, while Rusty has a rare venture left. I hit my hybrid down the guts, while Rusty sprays left and then plays a provisional in case it has gone OOB. He finds his first and puts it on the green not too far from the pin. I hit my wedge on the green but outside Rusty. I just miss my putt, Rusty nabs his. I'm gutted after playing a solid hole. (Another bitching SMS to jarro) Rusty 6up.

30: Rusty gets a shot on this par 4. Oh joy for me, the pain can finally be ended. Rusty in the middle, I'm left again. I put my approach into the wind short. Rusty blows his OOB. Wow! He's human. He still manages a 6, but I get up and down for par and a rare win. I'm back baby. Rusty 5up.

31: I'm down the middle with my T-shot, while Rusty goes left. I get my approach to the front fringe, while Rusty misses left. My putt is thereabouts. Rusty knifes his chip which should have gone off the other side of the green, BUT it hits the flag and stays within a couple of metres. I didn't hide my look of disgust and shaking of the head. One putt each and it was halved with pars. Rusty 5up, Dormie 5.

32: We both putt our T-shots in position. Hitting my approach first, I continue my good patch by hitting it to the left fringe. Not to be outdone, Rusty puts his ball on the back left fringe. Rusty gets it thereabouts, and I leave my fringe putt short on line. Pars each, and another square hole. Despite parring the last 4 holes, I gain nothing, and Rusty wins 5 and 4.

Of course, I carried on with par then birdie.

Rusty played great all day and never let me in. He parred (or better) 11 of the 14 matchplay holes at Beerwah. Did I have any hope? He made me feel like I was playing pretty ordinary, so I was very surprised to see that I had scored pretty well. Of course, his score was a snotload better. His short game was fantastic and really applied pressure to mine, which failed until it was too late. Well done, Rusty, that was an awesome round.

I'll also mention that Rusty has set a new precedence for weapons used in matchplay. He brought along his mum that had been a member of Beerwah for 20 years or something.

Good luck to the next OZgolfer that plays Rusty, whether it is Tezza or not. If he's on song, and in a burglar mood, you will be in a world of pain.
    Last edited by AndyP; 10th June 2007 at 09:27 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Congratulations Rusty.

Hopefully now that AndyP is out, it means that the rest of the matches will be completed in 18 holes or less.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Hopefully now that AndyP is out, it means that the rest of the matches will be completed in 18 holes or less.
    If I had won, I would have had to play Tezza next week. Now that I've lost, Rusty will probably get a walkover to the semis.

I feel violated.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Nice summary AP, well played Rusty.
    Next match v Tezza at Moranbah perhaps?
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Quoting one of my favorite lines from Madagascar "well that sux"

And I fell I am in better form now than leading into the match with Vegas, meaning I haven't touched a club for longer this stint

There might be a small window of opportunaty for a mid week game when I am down for the V8's in July. I can come down a day earlier or leave a day later, so I will put some dates up when I get home from work. But it will only work if Rusty can do a mid week game.

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Great review Andy. spelt out beautifully. with the first match, i was so concerned 1down with 3 to play. was looking to make the most of your short right tee shot on 143m par 3, and couldn't... aaarrggh. ended up just so glad to sink my second putt to square the hole. so glad to get the next hole to even, and sink my putt on 18 to square the match. after the match, added up my putts and had 25! couldn't believe it. my best ever by 4 (the chip in also helped)! and my last 5 games i've averaged about 36 per round.

was a bit worried going to Beerwah the next day - smallish, sometimes fast greens. the rain helped me out slowing down the greens a bit to what i expected, and yeah, my secret weapon helped too . putter held out - 30 putts, with only 3 putt on 18 for a double . but i equalled my best ever score of 7 over - my second only ever sub 80 score, so i was ecstatic.

Tezza, yeah a mid week came'll be fine. i'd certainly rather play than not. [edit: v8 supercars Ipswich 20-22 July - wife's requested a 2-3 week holiday in late July. i'll start planning the hol when i get back from China 25 June. may be able to make it last week of July + some of August. so please confirm dates as soon as you can.]
    Last edited by Rusty; 12th June 2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add hols in July

No chance to play this match now,so I am officially conceding

I have had a dream gig at one of the mines fall in my lap and I don't want to spend any more time away than I have too. Plus I am in the process of buying a new 4X4 (in Brisbane ) so I will have to fly down and drive it home one weekend

Terry.
    Smugmug

AndyLo v BrisWesty - Riverlakes 23/6/07 - BrisWesty won 3/2

Full description in matchplay thread (if anyone cares.)
    http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthr...?t=7132&page=2
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by terryand View Post
    Plus I am in the process of buying a new 4X4 (in Brisbane ) so I will have to fly down and drive it home one weekend
    lemme guess.... a Ford Ranger???

Can I play Rusty instead?

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    lemme guess.... a Ford Ranger???

Can I play Rusty instead?
    Yes(Did anyone drive past Denmac Ford at Indooroopilly today and see a black twin cab with 20" mags on it?Haven't seen a pic of it yet but they are trying to sell it to me. Not sure whether to get a pimped up one or one with more traditional off road rims and tyres),

and what a good idea.

Terry.
    Smugmug

20" light truck tyres don't sound too cheap....

golflink WITB

Blog Entries

Draw updated. Now that Terry has had to quit Rusty is the first semi finalist.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Shouldn't Vegas get another crack now that Terry is out?

goughy

buggers me how it works now. Past seasons occurances should be the presidence for what happens?

Players have been re-instated in the past haven't they after a withdrawal??

Blog Entries

If that is the case I am happy for that to go ahead. Anyone ... Bueller Bueller ...

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

I don't wanna rock the boat. I only suggested it half in jest as it's fun to play matchplay. Honestly, I don't mind either way.

golflink WITB

goughy

I think rusty would have a say in this.

I just don't want to read back through all the posts from last years matchplay. Especially when AP will know what happened in a few instances. I just seem to recall that someone was re-instated to keep the matches going, although the opponent may have had a say in it.

Thread Information