Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Latest and Greatest Drivers -Launch Monitor

Despite recently proclaiming to all and sundry that my 510TP would never be displaced from the bag the simple conversation started me thinking about a new driver. Now it just so happens that we all have a friend / foe / neutral here who can do some good deals on drivers -can't he Pete. This simply added to a sudden desire to see if the last couple of years had actually past the TP by.

So last Saturday and Sunday I went to two different golf shops both with launch monitors principally to test the FT3 versus the 510TP.

Initial results were not good for my trusty weapon of choice. The FT3 Tour (most comparable to the 510TP) showed 6-8 metres more distance on the launchy. The distances the machine was showing were roughly comparable to real life so it seemed a fair reflection.

This gnawed away at my mind for the rest of Saturday so sunday I went to a second shop. They wouldn't let me hit a Tour model but had the standard FT3 in 9 and 10 degree as demos. So I hit these and took notice of the launch specs. Firstly -yep still longer than my 510TP. Interestingly both the TP and the FT3 do not give me "optimal" launch conditions as both showed launch angles of 10.5-11 degrees and spin rates of 3,300 ish with a ball speed of 158-160 mph (too low launch, too high spin for that ball speed).

The shop assistant guy was actually helpful and -shock horror -came over with a Nike Sasquatch Tour with the NV shaft. This club, at least in a monitor, was so easy to hit it was ridiculous. Whats more it was on average a couple of mph higher in ball speed than the FT3 and hence a couple of metres longer. However, spin rates stayed around 3,250.

So this raised a question. It seems the 510TP's day are numbered. But if I were to get a FT3 Tour or SQ Tour what shaft would help me lower those spin numbers and raise the launch angle? Oh and anyone want to buy a very well used 510TP?

(note the FT3 had the NVS and the SQ had the NV).

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Have you tried BiHore (HiBore) yet? It might gives you better spin rate and launch angle... (well they all say that anyway)

Ozik 7 from Matrix?

I reckon the NV shaft is the most overrated shaft out there.

the stiffs are like a ladies shaft.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

If you're swinging at around 110mph (judging by your ball speed), you'd probably want something a little sturdier than an NV or NVS. The V2 and Grafalloy blue seem to work for many in that range.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Major Winner

I played an ambrose recently with an older bloke with an SQ. He had the easiest swing of anyone i've witnessed (there wasn't much of him), and the ball flight and distance off the club was pretty damn impressive.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Out driven by another pensioner hey Fishy

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Miro,

If you want a 9.5* SQ Tour I'll sell you mine with an ion-plated Diamana 83 stiff. That shaft should fix your spin numbers. It is in mint condition.

Cheers,
    Terence

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Miro, what shaft have you got in your 510TP ??

i'm about to try the V2 in my 510
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Terrence,

What are the shaft specs. What price do you want for it?

Jarro,

I have the tour van Aldila NV Prototype in stiff. Plays nothing like the real NV and is i think one of the major reasons I love the TP so much.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by terryand
    Out driven by another pensioner hey Fishy

Terry.
    Let's just say it was good to have him in our ambrose TEAM!
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Miro,

PM your contact details...

Cheers,
    Terence

Shaft specs are 78 g (I think)... stiff flex... 3.0* torque... smooth as silk... Tiger is back to using the Diamana 83... etc...

Terrence,

PM sent. You gunna give me a call?

Miro, having played with you at your home course and having seen you chuck a spastic at Grant's home course, I would rate your driving as the strongest part of your game. The mental game and course management needs some work though ...

Jono, he's looking for a driver mate, not a psychoanalysts report

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday
    Jono, he's looking for a driver mate, not a psychoanalysts report
    That's right ... I forgot that 3oneday doesn't sell psychoanalysts ...

Just commenting how even low markers spend more time/money on strong parts of their games.

Miro, back to your driver search ... Your spin rates aren't too bad. Your launch angle is a bit low though. Perhaps teeing the ball a bit higher?

I tried the Nike SQ Tour (with a reg Prolaunch) and while I loved the sound, it went nowhere. Just ballooned up and up (and up). Probably due to the shaft though ...

Have you tried Fuji Vista Tour shafts? They give pretty low spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    That's right ... I forgot that 3oneday doesn't sell psychoanalysts ...
    I'm not selling him a driver either

I think too much thinking is going on, testing on the course is the only way in my opinion... sorry

Jono,

I have significantly adjusted my "mental game" recently so that it is less mental.

And Pete I agree on course testing is the perfect world however in a world of impulse purchases $400 or so just isn;t that important especially when if I don;t like it I can simply flog it on ebay for $300. Dropping $100 for the fun of trying a new club or two is not the worst thing that will ever happen to me.

So if Kwant would give me a call I might have a go with his club or otherwise I know a guy who can do me a deal on a new one.

Miro

I have the same problem, too much spin with too low launch. I just loaded an Ozik Altus into my Bridgestone and hit it on the launch monitor and range. My launch was 11* with 4400 rpm back spin. With the Altus my spin is down to 3600 (still way too high) but my launch is up to 13* which is close to perfect for my 177mph ball speed. I have an X tipped 1" and find it to be very sturdy and tight for a high launch shaft. Might be worth looking at.

I have an SQ Tour also in 9.5* and am thinking about loading an Altus in it as well to see what happens with that head........Good club though, especially with that Diamana that T is selling, although it may be a little soft in the s for you.

Speirsy
    Fat, drunk, and five-over-par is no way to go through life, son.

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Burner TP 14.5 Ozik 8M2 X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    Callaway X-Forged 4 Dot 4-PW PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 50*, 54*, 58* PX 6.5
    YES! Dianna

Spiersy,
    Thanks for the input -have done a deal with T and am looking forward to seeing how the club goes.

I Know very little about the Diamana Ion plate shaft i.e how it plays -wanna fill me in (high/low launch, relative spin, feel etc).

Quote Originally Posted by miro
    Spiersy,
    Thanks for the input -have done a deal with T and am looking forward to seeing how the club goes.

I Know very little about the Diamana Ion plate shaft i.e how it plays -wanna fill me in (high/low launch, relative spin, feel etc).
    Assuming it's the Blue Board model I found it to be a very stable shaft. Launches a little low in my hands, but it was fairly low spin and very accurate. Plus it looks wicked cool

I found it to play a little soft to flex for me, but I tend to load the shaft early and hold it which makes most shafts feel soft to flex. It's very smooth, not a harsh shaft like the Protopype or NV.

Good luck with it. I'm undecided what shaft I'm going to put into mine, but am leaning towards another Altus......We'll see.....
    Fat, drunk, and five-over-par is no way to go through life, son.

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Burner TP 14.5 Ozik 8M2 X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    Callaway X-Forged 4 Dot 4-PW PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 50*, 54*, 58* PX 6.5
    YES! Dianna

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

[QUOTE I found it to play a little soft to flex for me, but I tend to load the shaft early and hold it which makes most shafts feel soft to flex. It's very smooth, not a harsh shaft like the Protopype or NV.

Spot on! Diamana's do play weak to flex. My untipped 63 Blue Board in stiff only registers 235CPM'S. They do have an amazing feel though.

Now on the lookout for a 63 x flex.

It is a Blue Board...

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rick3003
    Diamana's do play weak to flex. My untipped 63 Blue Board in stiff only registers 235CPM'S.
    Holy Cow Batman!! That's Lady flex...

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Thread Information