Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NSW Open

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by scratchoz View Post
    The full story is that 15 and 16 were meant to be par 4's - 16 about 400 to a green short of and on the right side of the bunker short of the green. You were then to walk back about 50m to 16th tee and play a 300m is par 4 across the pond to the current 16th green (obviously a different shape). The original 18th was a par 5 about 540m from the current 16th tee. Mid way through construction, GN was advised that there was an easement housing a main gas line that could not be built over, not even a fairway so a redesign is needed to deal with this. GN asks for more money to redesign, developer says no way, BH takes on the job under threat of sack from GN and completes the redesign and hence no longer is employed by GN.

The board of the club decides that the 16 and 17 tee set up does not work and hastily builds a new 17th tee behind 16 green and totally ruins the hole. A better option would be to build new 16th tee over the back of the 15th green at about 110-120m, at least retaining the GN vision of a short shot to a challenging green for 16, leave 17 as originally designed and then play the 18th from the current 16th tee as the 540m par 5.......thoughts anyone who has played the course???
    Cheers for the background info mate. Interesting to know. FWIW, I like the 16th as it ended up. It's a solid mid-length par 3, and I love par 3s from elevated tees. It's nearly the best 3 on the course, pipped only by the superb par 3 at the 11th hole. And I don't mind the 17th when played from the tee box that's closer to the 16th green. I still think the 18th should play as a par 4 rather than a par 5; call me sadistic, but I like tough finishing holes. And the 18th is so open, both from the tee and around the green - plenty of openness there to offset the length if it was played as a par 4.
    The original 18th at Lynwood was pretty cool - a long, tough par 4 to finish the round. I'm not overly fond of the layout changes at Lynwood.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    I still can't believe that they didn't have the 10th tee box where the 18th green is & work backwards to give themselves the opportunity to play off 1 & 10. Nice course but incredibly overrated & not worth the $$ they ask for comp or visiting.
    Yeah, only being able to start groups off the 1st is pretty shit. I've only had very early tee times (midweek) at Stonecutters and have enjoyed quick rounds, but I'm guessing on Saturdays the field would get pretty backed up.
    Stonecutters is a nice course - it's very fun to play, greens are pure and, like most Greg Norman courses, the bunkering is awesome. It's got plenty of solid holes - 3,4,5,7,10,11,12,16 are my personal favourites. It probably is slightly overrated for mine, if you like at where it sits in the top 100 lists. I'm fine to pay the $50 (think that's what I paid last time) to play open comps there (Ryde-Parra now charges $75 for visitors, which is well over-priced), but I wouldn't stump up the joining fee that's still in place there for new members.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    I still can't believe that they didn't have the 10th tee box where the 18th green is & work backwards to give themselves the opportunity to play off 1 & 10. Nice course but incredibly overrated & not worth the $$ they ask for comp or visiting.
    I'm yet to find a course that doesn't charge under $39 for visitors to play in an open comp so I think the $42 visitor comp fee isn't unreasonable. Recent travels to Liverpool, Long Reef, Cumberland, Castle Hill, Riverside Oaks, and Asquith have all cost $39 or more and there are a few in that group that don't stack up to Stonecutters for $42.

Disclaimer - I am a member at Stonecutters

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Yeah, only being able to start groups off the 1st is pretty shit. I've only had very early tee times (midweek) at Stonecutters and have enjoyed quick rounds, but I'm guessing on Saturdays the field would get pretty backed up.
    Stonecutters is a nice course - it's very fun to play, greens are pure and, like most Greg Norman courses, the bunkering is awesome. It's got plenty of solid holes - 3,4,5,7,10,11,12,16 are my personal favourites. It probably is slightly overrated for mine, if you like at where it sits in the top 100 lists. I'm fine to pay the $50 (think that's what I paid last time) to play open comps there (Ryde-Parra now charges $75 for visitors, which is well over-priced), but I wouldn't stump up the joining fee that's still in place there for new members.
    No joining fee if you join before the end of November - NSW Open special - its a bit late to find out on 29th though

Member Club Champion

Cheers for the background info mate. Interesting to know. FWIW, I like the 16th as it ended up. It's a solid mid-length par 3, and I love par 3s from elevated tees. It's nearly the best 3 on the course, pipped only by the superb par 3 at the 11th hole. And I don't mind the 17th when played from the tee box that's closer to the 16th green. I still think the 18th should play as a par 4 rather than a par 5; call me sadistic, but I like tough finishing holes. And the 18th is so open, both from the tee and around the green - plenty of openness there to offset the length if it was played as a par 4.
    The original 18th at Lynwood was pretty cool - a long, tough par 4 to finish the round. I'm not overly fond of the layout changes at Lynwood.
    I agree about 18 - should be a par 4 from the current white tee (449m). Most of the pro's were hitting 2 iron off the tee in the NSW Open but how many would have if it was a par 4???

Banned

I'm looking to move on from Ryde Parramatta so not trying to stick up for the club but when did the open comp fee change to $75? Last I heard it was $60. If it is at $75, why is it well over priced? Granted, the condition of the golf course currently is not what it could be but there is some work being done on the course that is a work in progress so will take some time to come good. I would pay $75 at RP sooner than I would pay $50 or whatever it is at SC. It has so much more variety and I think (just my opinion) you need a wider variety of shots during a round at RP than you do at SC. Horses for course I guess.

Banned

Last edited by Jazz18; 29th November 2016 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Double post

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

No joining fee if you join before the end of November - NSW Open special - its a bit late to find out on 29th though
    are they starting to realise joining fees are reserved for the elite?

I'm still to play there, will have to try and do that next year. Is Sunday open?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

I'm yet to find a course that doesn't charge under $39 for visitors to play in an open comp so I think the $42 visitor comp fee isn't unreasonable. Recent travels to Liverpool, Long Reef, Cumberland, Castle Hill, Riverside Oaks, and Asquith have all cost $39 or more and there are a few in that group that don't stack up to Stonecutters for $42.

Disclaimer - I am a member at Stonecutters
    I'm positive Cabra Visitor fees are around $32 for comp.
    Last edited by mrbluu; 30th November 2016 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    I'm looking to move on from Ryde Parramatta so not trying to stick up for the club but when did the open comp fee change to $75? Last I heard it was $60. If it is at $75, why is it well over priced? Granted, the condition of the golf course currently is not what it could be but there is some work being done on the course that is a work in progress so will take some time to come good. I would pay $75 at RP sooner than I would pay $50 or whatever it is at SC. It has so much more variety and I think (just my opinion) you need a wider variety of shots during a round at RP than you do at SC. Horses for course I guess.
    Hey hombre,

Seems to be a few RPGC haters on OzGolf for some reason. I, on the other hand, quite like to course. The greens could be quicker (and they've always seemed a little soft for mine) but I've no qualms with the layout at all. Some good 5s and a solid variety of 4s. I teed up a Friday round in the open comp in mid-October and when I booked in the chick in the pro shop said $75 (not including cart; I despise cart golf). I didn't play as our new son rocked up six weeks early, but was looking forward to it. Last time I played in the Friday open comp at RP I'm sure the fees were only $50.
    At $75, it's the same (possibly more) than the Thursday open comps at St Michaels. St Micks Thursday open comps used to be a mere $40 up until a year or two ago - that was some of the best value golf you'd find in Sydney... . Can't remember what it was last time I was there...maybe $60. St Mick's I'd pay $70-odd for. Always very much enjoy St Micks.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Banned

Hey hombre,

Seems to be a few RPGC haters on OzGolf for some reason. I, on the other hand, quite like to course. The greens could be quicker (and they've always seemed a little soft for mine) but I've no qualms with the layout at all. Some good 5s and a solid variety of 4s. I teed up a Friday round in the open comp in mid-October and when I booked in the chick in the pro shop said $75 (not including cart; I despise cart golf). I didn't play as our new son rocked up six weeks early, but was looking forward to it. Last time I played in the Friday open comp at RP I'm sure the fees were only $50.
    At $75, it's the same (possibly more) than the Thursday open comps at St Michaels. St Micks Thursday open comps used to be a mere $40 up until a year or two ago - that was some of the best value golf you'd find in Sydney... . Can't remember what it was last time I was there...maybe $60. St Mick's I'd pay $70-odd for. Always very much enjoy St Micks.
    Yep, there are few that are not a fan of the place.

Not sure why you were quoted $75. Just checked with the pro shop and the Friday open comp is $64 for visitors. The green fee component of that is $50 with the comp fee for members and visitors being $14. Given the minimum outlay for a full member is roughly $3500 per year (subscription and house account), I think it's pretty good value in comparison when the $3.5k for a member doesn't include comp fees. I think you'll find it to be around the going rate for similar tracks in the area too so not out of this world expensive really. Cumberland is $40 for 18 holes midweek so for $10 extra, I think RP is worth it.

Stonecutters is a nice course. I did enjoy it when I played it. The round was extremely slow (I think we were 90mins through 5 holes) but the guys I played with were good blokes so it didn't seem that bad. I think the measure for me though is that I haven't been back to play it again. Don't remember how much I paid but it wasn't scary. It's a good track but I agree with others. The one tee start there really hurts them I think. They have a good clubhouse though. My family and I often go there for birthdays, Father's Day etc etc and always enjoy ourselves.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Stonecutters is overrated, expensive & so bloody slow.
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I didn't see anything special with Cutters when I played it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    are they starting to realise joining fees are reserved for the elite?

I'm still to play there, will have to try and do that next year. Is Sunday open?
    Agree about the joining fee and hopefully there will be a change of mentality on that in the near future - the best deal that we had was join as a 6 day member, joining fee of $2200 was credited to the house account to use in the pro shop, restaurant or bar so they sold a lot of sets of clubs to new members. Sunday is open every week and plenty of times available after 11am

Quote Originally Posted by LanaSed View Post
    Might of gotten there if we had a tyre truck open its doors to tyres. Super soft was the best tyre to be on during those cold track conditions.
    Totally agree LS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information