Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Default True Temper Dynamic Gold v.s Nippon Pro

G'day all,

I have been hearing a lot of good things about Nippon steel shaft. I am wondering whether any one here have tried them. What would be the difference between the TT Dynamic Gold R300 v.s. Nippon Pro 1050? What are the pros and cons between the two?

Also if I was to purchase it and have it fitted, where about could I get it done in Sydney and how deep do I have to dig into my pocket for a set of them?

I would kindly appreciate it if any of the fellow members could assist me.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
    LQU

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Hi, I have used both in stiff, Nippons are 30 or so grams lighter but I couldn't really notice any great performance difference personally.

Pete

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I have tried the Nippon 950 in my irons and I thought they were great. I soft stepped a stiff, and it felt comparable to the R300, but lighter. Trajectory was good, perhaps a little higher than the DG. The Nippons felt a bit "smoother" ... whatever that means.

I also tried the NSPro 950 in the woods but didn't really like them. A bit too whippy. Felt totally different to the iron shafts.

The Nippon shafts are around $35 a club. Gary at Custom Golf Services in Balgowlah has them. If you tell him that Jono sent you, he'll probably charge extra ...

Why don't you give him a call? 9949 8899

http://www.customgolfservices.com.au...age_10753.html

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I had Gary reshafted a set of irons with NS Pro 950, as I prefer the lighter feel of the NS Pro. Gary does good works.

goughy

Funny you mention that Jono. I had a 950fw in a 3 wood and it felt like spaghetti. I couldn't have imagined a worse feeling shaft. But I had always heard the iron shafts were a different matter. But once bitten twice shy!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Goughy,

Big big difference between the iron shafts and the wood shafts. I loved the iron shafts and HATED the wood shafts. Go figure.

T

anyone have an opinion on how the Nippon Pro's would compare to the DG Superlites ???
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

fren has the DGS in his MP37s, bought the MP27/30 combo with NSPRO950 regular, and he's yanking everything left with the combo...crap shaft if u're a hard swinger...

got the DGS Lites in my miz combo - seems to go okay...
    defn easier than the stock DGS300s I had in the Pi5s...
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Quote Originally Posted by McMw

got the DGS Lites in my miz combo - seems to go okay...
    defn easier than the stock DGS300s I had in the Pi5s...
    any noticeable change to your ballflight with the Superlites ?

also heard they play stiffer to flex than standard DG's ??? is this true ???

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

trajectory seems to go okay...still hitting them high (which is what I'm used to)...

sometimes it looks like it would come up short of the target - but not really...
    not sure if it's the irons or the shafts...we'll see in a couple of weeks time...

the standard DGS plays much stiffer/heavier....way more!!!
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    any noticeable change to your ballflight with the Superlites ?

also heard they play stiffer to flex than standard DG's ??? is this true ???
    Jarro,
    Both shafts are high quality in their own right. I would suggest the reason the Mizuno combos go left with 950's is that they are soft which is what the 950's play. They are not crap for the hard swinger you just need to have the right nippon on board and if you do like the 950 and swing hard get them hard stepped. I have the NS1150 in my irons now in stiff flex and have found these shafts to be the best I have used in all the sets I have had. Previously I had the DG Superlites in the irons and while they felt good they didn't suit my ball flight where finding the right Nippon in the end has changed things dramatically both in terms of flight and feedback from the shaft. The Superlites definately feel firmer than standard DG's and are that way in the tip. Someone using S300 in normal DG's could easily use R300 in the Superlites. This is a common mistake guys are making fitting this shaft, S300 in normal DG does not necessarily mean S300 in Superlites. Hope this helps.

Spalding,

Can't agree with you more. I use S3 in the normal DG and R3 in the Superlite.
    SMS316 é um feixe

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I like the Nippons. I only find trouble with them when I get a little quick at downswing transition, but that certainly isn't the fault of the shaft. Smooth feeling shaft, IMO, with little vibration, and a nice high (but not ballooning) ballflight.
    WITB: TBA

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding
    Jarro,
    Both shafts are high quality in their own right. I would suggest the reason the Mizuno combos go left with 950's is that they are soft which is what the 950's play. They are not crap for the hard swinger you just need to have the right nippon on board and if you do like the 950 and swing hard get them hard stepped. I have the NS1150 in my irons now in stiff flex and have found these shafts to be the best I have used in all the sets I have had. Previously I had the DG Superlites in the irons and while they felt good they didn't suit my ball flight where finding the right Nippon in the end has changed things dramatically both in terms of flight and feedback from the shaft. The Superlites definately feel firmer than standard DG's and are that way in the tip. Someone using S300 in normal DG's could easily use R300 in the Superlites. This is a common mistake guys are making fitting this shaft, S300 in normal DG does not necessarily mean S300 in Superlites. Hope this helps.
    thanks mate, i appreciate the comments

I'm keen to try these shafts at some stage, either in my irons, or in a demo set.

Thread Information