Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member Club Champion

Default Odyssey toe up putter thoughts

Anyone bagging these? Anyone tried one?
    What are your thoughts, i have a SBST putting stroke and always tend towards the mallet/high MOI/face balanced type of putter. But have a tendancy to miss to the right and in some cases i can see the putter face is open at impact. Thoughts are to look at somehting like this to see if it helps...........
    In the bag
    TM SIM2 Max
    TM M2 3 & 5 wood
    Srixon Z765
    TM 50 54 58
    Putter - ongoing journey

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

After reading a lot of test reports on these putters. I too was keen to try one out, but unfortunately Drummond golf at Penrith didn't have any when I was there a couple days ago.

Banned

If you have a tendency to miss right, doesn't that mean the putter face is open? Surely that means you need a putter with more face rotation (ie toe hang) so the face closes more on the forward stroke. Would think a toe up putter would be the reverse of what you need. I could be wrong, so happy if some one corrects me.

Besides the above, I think toe up putters look absolutely poo.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I've got one and rotate between my toe up 1 & ping ketch counterbalance. I have a few practice putts in the morning before the round and whichever feels best I take to the course.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Surely that means you need a putter with more face rotation (ie toe hang) so the face closes more on the forward stroke. Would think a toe up putter would be the reverse of what you need.
    Oh crap, I hope thats not the case, I thought (and again I could be wrong also) more weight in the heel would promote closing of the face quicker. Sort of working on the same principle they have with drivers, i.e. move the weight to the heel helps to get the face closed
    In the bag
    TM SIM2 Max
    TM M2 3 & 5 wood
    Srixon Z765
    TM 50 54 58
    Putter - ongoing journey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cratcliffe View Post
    Oh crap, I hope thats not the case, I thought (and again I could be wrong also) more weight in the heel would promote closing of the face quicker. Sort of working on the same principle they have with drivers, i.e. move the weight to the heel helps to get the face closed
    Yeah I know what you mean. I was only having this conversation today with another couple of golfers and the other two were thinking the same as you with less weight in the toe would promote the face to close quicker. Again, I'm not sure I'm right so hopefully someone else can chime in and enlighten us. I find that heel shafted putters tend to close down quicker for me so maybe it's a case of everyone's different and it might not be the case for you.

Well, talking back to back testing here. You may have see. With my other thread, that I was after another putter.

I did 2 hours of testing at Drummond Penrith on Monday, earlier this week. I first went through all the putters they had there, no matter the price or if I liked the shape or not, to find one that I was aiming properly at the cup. Separated those out.

Consisted of several different types, flow neck blade, no offset blade and a mallets. My putting stroke is a slight arc, according to the ping putting app.

The no offset blade was the Mizuno A306, which has quite a lot of toe hang.

I had been previously using a blade putter with plumbers neck, which I wasn't able to aim straight (always out to the right).

Anyway, testing the Mizuno A306. I could feel the head close over through impact in my normal putting stroke. To the point where I was missing to the left all the time. Previously my miss waa to the right.

Trying out the flow neck, which was an Odyssey RX2 blade and also the Mizuno with the plumbers neck and the other blade with a half shaft offset, so kinda like a flow neck, but the shaft goes straight into the head. The RX2 I was constantly missing to the right.

The Mizuno with plumbers neck was sinking them, but also missing to the right.

Flow neck same, but sunk more than I missed. Miss was to the right.

My grip pressure is very light, which is why I think I felt the A306 release through impact more and the miss was always left compared to the other toe hang putters.

For me, I didn't pick any of these putters.

I wound up with the mallet. Basically it was a didn't miss putter for me from anywhere in their practice green at Drummond. Even taking into the small amount of break in the putt. Throughout all the testing I didn't miss any putts with it, from 1 footers to sinking 5 X 12 footers in a row with it. So finding something like that, and I can also aim it dead straight as well, I shelled out the dollars for it. Which kinda hurt the wallet, but at least a got a little discount, being a Drummond club member.

Member Club Champion

Thanks guys certainly some food for thought
    Hope to get to Melb soon and try them out
    I suppose the other alternative is to get a lesson, but that's not as fun!
    In the bag
    TM SIM2 Max
    TM M2 3 & 5 wood
    Srixon Z765
    TM 50 54 58
    Putter - ongoing journey

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cratcliffe View Post
    Thanks guys certainly some food for thought
    Hope to get to Melb soon and try them out
    I suppose the other alternative is to get a lesson, but that's not as fun!
    I miss to the right, but found if i use a strong left under-hand grip, helps with my stroke.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I tried one the other week in a pro shop. It felt gross.

Member Club Champion

Yeah, had same thoughts
    Didn't feel/look/sound right
    In the bag
    TM SIM2 Max
    TM M2 3 & 5 wood
    Srixon Z765
    TM 50 54 58
    Putter - ongoing journey

Saw one in the shop, looked like it was broken.

Did not test.

Picked one of these up last week. Have only just given it a roll on the carpet, initial impressions not good but will give it a try on grass before consigning it to the scrap heap.

Thread Information