Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2016

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Didn't cost him anything. Except a race win.

RBR screwed up the strategy and so did Ferrari (for Vettel). But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Max drove a solid race without making mistakes which for an 18 year old is impressive. But it doesn't make him the next Senna and the hype is really over the top.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    Didn't cost him anything. Except a race win.
    I meant the bad luck of the puncture at the end...that didn't cost him. He was never going to win that race as long as Verstappen & Raikkonen stayed out on their tyres. Had they had to come in again for softs at the end, then maybe he may have won.

RBR screwed up the strategy and so did Ferrari (for Vettel). But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Not sure they did...they were covering each other so closely, knowing that the undercut works well and that it's so hard to pass. Vettel was just marking Dan, and then the other two mirrored each other too. All the data shows that 3 stopping is the fastest way around, but obviously the higher risk strategy (of making the Med tyre go for 32 laps and still be fast enough) paid off this time. Plenty of times when it doesn't. Those tyres could've easily gone off at any time on Max & Kimmi's cars...then they would've been back to 3rd and 4th.

Max drove a solid race without making mistakes which for an 18 year old is impressive. But it doesn't make him the next Senna and the hype is really over the top.
    Agreed. 100%.

(But it sure is a convincing start for a new team...and kind of justifies the switch). It is a scary prospect that he could stay in the paddock until he's Raikkonen's age and would be nearing 400 Grands Prix

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    I meant the bad luck of the puncture at the end...that didn't cost him. He was never going to win that race as long as Verstappen & Raikkonen stayed out on their tyres. Had they had to come in again for softs at the end, then maybe he may have won.

Not sure they did...they were covering each other so closely, knowing that the undercut works well and that it's so hard to pass. Vettel was just marking Dan, and then the other two mirrored each other too. All the data shows that 3 stopping is the fastest way around, but obviously the higher risk strategy (of making the Med tyre go for 32 laps and still be fast enough) paid off this time. Plenty of times when it doesn't. Those tyres could've easily gone off at any time on Max & Kimmi's cars...then they would've been back to 3rd and 4th.

Agreed. 100%.

(But it sure is a convincing start for a new team...and kind of justifies the switch). It is a scary prospect that he could stay in the paddock until he's Raikkonen's age and would be nearing 400 Grands Prix
    So many quotes....

Yeah Vettel/DRic mirrored each other to try and cover each other off - but in hindsight it was a mistake, and it probably should have been obvious in the cold light of day that on a track where it's very difficult to pass, track position is king! So I realise you meant bad luck about the puncture, I think it's bad luck that RBR blinked when Vettel went for the undercut because if they'd stuck to a 2 stop he might have been the one with the W. It didn't help that his middle stint on the softs was horribly slow either.

Yeah...In the 1.30's on softs? WTF???

I don't think they were new softs but they were either a dud set or something else was up. Don't think there was any traffic in his way for most of it. I remember a Renault holding him up but I think that was after his next stop when he went back into mediums.

Blog Entries

I don't think they were new softs but they were either a dud set or something else was up. Don't think there was any traffic in his way for most of it. I remember a Renault holding him up but I think that was after his next stop when he went back into mediums.
    There was massive traffic. Correct though, not new softs.

What also killed it was after he put the mediums on the second time, and got held up by the manor for basically two laps (dirty air) couldn't get close until last corner and the yellow flags in the first sector meant he couldn't pass. Then haryanto stuffed him around for another lap meaning he dropped over a second further to Vettel.

The switch to the three stop killed his race though - Horner admitted as much on sky f1 after the race, but gave no reason for it.

Both Vettel and Riccardo would be asking big questions of their teams.....
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Senior Member Major Winner

Red Bull pit stuff up robs Riccardo again.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Yep

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Red Bull pit stuff up robs Riccardo again.
    It seems Red Bull to be getting almost Webber like pitlane stuff ups.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    It seems Red Bull to be getting almost Webber like pitlane stuff ups.
    Only for the Aussie drive thou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W.I.T.B

Was soooo disappointing to watch... Bad bad bad

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I was more disappointed to see Justin Bieber waiting for Lewis at the end of the race.

Did LOL at Biebers question/comment to Lewis. "How do you go around those corners so fast dog?" Then says while pointing to the sky, "That's god man"

With stuff like this being broadcast, it makes me less and less concerned about missing most of the races due to not having Foxtel.

But I do feel for Ricciardo. That would be the most pissed off I have ever seen him. Reminded me of this....

Banned

I was so pissed off. I don't think Red Bull are doing it on purpose but it's definitely an Aussie curse with those fella's. Felt so sorry for Danny Ric. Love how he said he had been screwed the last 2 races and it sucked, on the podium, in front of the Royals! Go Dan! The worst part of that race. The prick that won the race celebrated like he'd won the most unbelievable battle and came out on top instead of having the race handed to him. Lewis Hamilton is the most classless, spoiled brat (amongst a paddock of them in F1) and needs to grow up. He is a sook of epic proportions and I hope he doesn't win another world championship so I can see him have a cry about how many engines he had to use.

Default Formula 1 2016

Jazz has said most of what I think. I almost woke the sleeping child with my yelling at the TV when that pit stop happened....

The only consolation is, Ricciardo is continually performing well on the track and his luck will turn eventually, it has to. And he's a faster and better driver than Webber ever was IMO. In fact he's better than most out there with the exception of maybe Hamilton and Alonso.

Banned

Jazz has said most of what I think. I almost woke the sleeping child with my yelling at the TV when that pit stop happened....

The only consolation is, Ricciardo is continually performing well on the track and his luck will turn eventually, it has to. And he's a faster and better driver than Webber ever was IMO. In fact he's better than most out there with the exception of maybe Hamilton and Alonso.
    I did exactly the same thing! I screamed at the TV (thought I'd woken my daughter too!) and just turned it off I was so disgusted. I watched the rest of the race today when I'd cooled down a bit.

Banned

Just watched the rest of the wrap up show from after the GP. Daniel Ric is an absolute champion. You could tell he was absolutely gutted and yet he said that he hates being miserable and that he should be happy and grateful that he was on the podium at Monaco and that he is grateful that he gets to do this for a living. What a champion. On the other hand, little dickhead in his purple hat said he felt that he used all his abilities and thought and whatever else to get this victory and that no one gave it to him and he 100% earned it! WTF! He is on crack! Seriously, Lewis Hamilton is f&%kin deluded. People like that make me really angry. What a waste of oxygen.

I get where you are all coming from with Hamilton as he is a bit of a flog, but it's races with conditions like that which show why he is one of the best drivers out there. The difference between his performance and Rosberg was chalk and cheese. Without drivers like him the show would be even duller than it sometimes is anyway

Yes Ric would have won if the pit stop had gone smoothly, but equally both drives were quality. I can understand why Hamilton would think that was a great drive and be rightly pleased about it

On the subject of Ric, I'm fed up with the media here saying he's crap because he doesn't win. That kind of comment makes it clear they haven't done any kind of research whatsoever. "Qualifies well but always finishes 4th" is a direct quote from the radio last week.

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    I get where you are all coming from with Hamilton as he is a bit of a flog, but it's races with conditions like that which show why he is one of the best drivers out there. The difference between his performance and Rosberg was chalk and cheese. Without drivers like him the show would be even duller than it sometimes is anyway

Yes Ric would have won if the pit stop had gone smoothly, but equally both drives were quality. I can understand why Hamilton would think that was a great drive and be rightly pleased about it

On the subject of Ric, I'm fed up with the media here saying he's crap because he doesn't win. That kind of comment makes it clear they haven't done any kind of research whatsoever. "Qualifies well but always finishes 4th" is a direct quote from the radio last week.
    The flogs that write these articles most likely have never seen a race or could tell you the difference between an open wheeler and a tin tip. They merely look at stats, qualifying and finish position and give their opinion.
    Much like some of the same media flogs that pick best plays for football games at levels below the AFL. Case in point for SANFL games and the rag called the Advertiser. They list them in order of possession count as they are not at the game for even a minute to make a sensible judgement. Not like years gone by where they were actually at games for some period of time.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    The flogs that write these articles most likely have never seen a race or could tell you the difference between an open wheeler and a tin tip. They merely look at stats, qualifying and finish position and give their opinion.
    Much like some of the same media flogs that pick best plays for football games at levels below the AFL. Case in point for SANFL games and the rag called the Advertiser. They list them in order of possession count as they are not at the game for even a minute to make a sensible judgement. Not like years gone by where they were actually at games for some period of time.
    See even AFL reporters don't want to watch AFL

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    See even AFL reporters don't want to watch AFL

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't surprise me but I used the SANFL example as I know it to be 100% fact.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Still pissed off at what happened.
    Hamilton is and always be a giant douche bag.
    Did I hear correctly that Ricciardo had the new engine for the last race and Verchashin had the old engine.
    If so I think they might be putting the willies up Mercedes and Ferrari. Obviously not the best track for pure speed but I was
    looking at the speed trap and Red Bull was right up there and faster than the Ferrari's.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Banned

There are at least half a dozen drivers that, given the Mercedes to drive, could have brought that race home. They would have been more humble in victory too. He was gifted the race by Red Bull and Nico Rosberg with the brake issues he was having so I don't buy it that he deserves the race and won it rather than having it handed to him. I bet Hamilton wouldn't have pulled over for Rosberg had the roles been reversed. The fact that he believes that he won the race rather than having it handed to him, only proves to me that he is so far away from living in the real world it's not funny. He lives in Lewis land and he is at the centre of that little world in his f&%ked up head of his. What anyone else does or wants in Lewis land does not register with Lewis. He is the only thing in the world. If Lewis gets what he wants, he loves everybody. If Lewis doesn't get what he wants, he is a spoiled little petulant child. He is a brat and needs to grow up.

As for Danny Ric, even though he let a bit fly after Monaco, he is still a class act and a champion. Anyone who says he can't drive does not follow formula 1 so their opinion means diddly squat. Danny Ric is easily in the top 5 drivers on that grid and he will start to win races when the Red Bull catches up to the the Mercedes. And they will catch up.

You are letting your dislike of Hamilton the person colour your judgement of Hamilton the driver. Name your half a dozen drivers. I can think of maybe 3 others who may have been capable of out-shining Rosberg in the same car to that extent. Alonso, Vettel and maybe Button. Verstappen maybe a 4th but he couldn't keep his competitive car on the track

Banned

You are letting your dislike of Hamilton the person colour your judgement of Hamilton the driver. Name your half a dozen drivers. I can think of maybe 3 others who may have been capable of out-shining Rosberg in the same car to that extent. Alonso, Vettel and maybe Button. Verstappen maybe a 4th but he couldn't keep his competitive car on the track
    Ok, a few key things I think you've forgotten.

1. You CAN NOT PASS at Monaco.

2. Monaco is about as easy as a track can be on tyres. There are really no high speed corners at all so tyre wear is quite minimal compared to all the other tracks.

3. Hamilton was let through by Rosberg when Rosberg had mechanical issues.

4. Rosberg had a slow pit stop behind Hamilton and then got stuck behind the Maclaren.

5. Red Bull stuffed up Danny Ric's pitstop which ALLOWED HAMILTON to go through into the lead.

6. At pretty much any other track where over taking is possible (except maybe Hungaroring where it is also very difficult to pass), Danny Ric would have been able to pass Hamilton with the pace he had and would have likely won the race.

Those six things don't add up to me and say Hamilton out shone Rosberg, nor that he won the race of his own accord. He got a huge lucky card on race day and all the things that needed to happen for him to win, did. For him to say he won it purely based on the strength of his drive, I'm surprised he could see out of the cockpit at all with his head so far up his arse.

Hamilton can drive, no doubt about it. But his over inflated opinion of himself as a driver and a person is becoming ridiculous. How quickly he forgets the 5 years when he was in a car that was not dominant. How'd he do then? The strength of the car in F1 will always superseed the strength of the driver. I mean Damon Hill won a world title for goodness sake and we all know why.

So I'm confused. Are there half a dozen drivers that would have brought that race home in the Mercedes or could anyone have won it based on everyone moving over? The race I watched had Hamilton doing faster laps on wets than others on inters and outpacing his teammate comfortably.

You can pass at Monaco when the conditions are wet but granted that's why Ric couldn't pass Ham later when it was dry

In each year someone wins a world title they have to beat their team mate in the same car. Hamilton has had to beat Rosberg recently in the same way Damon Hill had to beat Villeneuve

Thread Information