Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default Black and White Marker Challenge - Redland Bay Friday September 11

The booking sheet is open, so I have grabbed the 7.40 9.24am time slot.

1. Daves 80/69
    2. Daves' Mate NSNA
    3. AO85 92/81
    4. 3puttpete 86/68
    Last edited by Daves; 11th September 2015 at 07:14 PM.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

You got that right. Disappointing when comparing to similar courses. Only renewed membership cos it is around the corner from home.

I think a couple of members of the committee make some of the decisions, the super does not like getting his butt off the tractor.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by Gollfer69 View Post
    First time at Reddy Bay in ages.
    Unfortunately, in my opinion, the place is going backwards.
    Some silly new plantings. The little garden near the 10th green is about as dumb as it gets.
    That tee extension on 15 is dumb. Poxy 5m of tee width under trees with no sun. Should have spent time clearing trees in the way to the green.
    Other little mounds and bits and pieces just look dumb.
    Not sure who is making these calls but I suspect the long time Super gets a free run. Looking at the condition of the greens methinks it might be time for new blood.
    I like the talk of a new irrigation system but seems like it will be a long time to fully implement.

This place needs a fresh set of eyes and this not just coming from a designer looking for a gig. The vegetation management of the place is the #1 problem.

Won't be rushing back. Places like Carbrook run on equally tight budgets but seem to be making smarter decisions.
    G'Day Dickie,

I don't disagree to some extent. They have a masterplan, done by David Burrup about 15 years ago, but haven't implemented any of it as far as I can tell. If they had, Ayers Rock (Fill heap next to 1st/18th Fairway) wouldn't still exist.

The garden on 10 was done to stop the cart wear through there. In reality the carts aren't supposed to go that far anyway. The line is further back down the fairway approaches.

The 15 tee extension was a stupid reaction to the Course ratings when they were done, trying to sneak a few yards more.

The Course Super can take the wrap for the course conditioning (the greens are crap), but most/all of the course changes are committee driven decisions. The club doesn't own the course, the council does, and they aren't allowed to touch any trees, dead or alive without jumping through a million hoops I gather. I know that to (lightly) trim the mangroves on the 5th tee, they had to have a council observer watch/oversee them do it!

They have just completed Stage 1, the installation of a new irrigation control system. It is currently being tested and goes into full use shortly I gather. Stage 2 will be the replacement of the pump system. They are seeking government grant to assist with this. Stage 3 is replacement of the mains I believe. Total project estimate is $1m, they have raised $225k so far.

Senior Member Major Winner

Surprised to read it's council land.

Makes you wonder even more why they haven't got a fence behind the 18th green.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    Surprised to read it's council land.

Makes you wonder even more why they haven't got a fence behind the 18th green.
    They only own the Clubhouse and the Car Park as I understand it. The rest got sold to the Council many years ago in a bail out.

[QUOTE=Lagerlover;1238958]Surprised to read it's council land.

Makes you wonder even more why they haven't got a fence behind the 18th green.[/QUOTE]

And the solution to that, is also one of the solutions to some of the course issues. Convert 18 to a par 4, with a new green near the dam that is currently at approach distance. Not a lot of support for it it seems, as they stoically hold onto a par 72. However it maybe forced on them, as there are potential merger talks happening, albeit early stages, that would require more space near the clubhouse.

Thread Information