Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Default G'day - another South Aussie!

Hi All

Have recently got back into Golf in a big way (thanks to some friends who decided to take it up) after a very long hiatus after playing in my teenage years. Currently using up a stock pile of vouchers and trying out various courses around Adelaide.

I live quite close to TTG GC but haven't been able to play there. May have to look into membership there if I decide to find a home course as it would be quite convenient!

Cheers

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Welcome Newt,

Chris32 is/was a member of TTG, he may be able to give you some insight on the club
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Senior Member Major Winner

G'day Newt,

Welcome. I'm kind of a big deal in your neck of the woods but there's no need to feel intimidated.

Jump on one of the days the locals organise for a hit and Coalesce can tell you all about it. He's my bitch.

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Your Champ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    G'day Newt,

Welcome. I'm kind of a big deal in your neck of the woods but there's no need to feel intimidated.

Jump on one of the days the locals organise for a hit and Coalesce can tell you all about it. He's my bitch.

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Your Champ
    You're so important that you employ BennoR as a post writer.

Welcome Newt and enjoy the banter.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Cheers all
    Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Welcome Newt,Chris32 is/was a member of TTG, he may be able to give you some insight on the club
    I would be interested in thoughts on this. Seems to be a lack of courses in the north east

Welcome to the funny farm Newt.

TTG is a heavily populated and used course by it's members.
    Check out their options here http://www.ttggolfclub.com.au/guests.../catfees.mhtml
    I suspect there's a fair old waiting list for full 7 day membership.
    6 or 5 day may be an option to get you in the door.
    My Dad's a Monday member. It costs him more for that than it does for my full 7 day membership at Kapunda

Your next closest option is Highercombe. You will need one leg shorter than the other or have goat blood in your veins.
    It's better these day than when I was a member for a couple of years over 12 years ago but it will always be hilly and you need to be reasonably fit.

Other than those two your going to need to travel up to and over a hour to play anything worth playing on. It all depends on what your after out of the game.
    Keep an eye out for our monthly games in the 1st Tee Thread. We try to have one every month playing at different courses.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Have recently played highercombe, but didn't particularly enjoy the 45 degree angle 'fairways' and blind tees. On the rare occasion I hit a straight drive, it invariably rolled off into the trees!

Yep, TTG is probably a bit pricey for me, since I'd only really be able to play on weekends. Maybe I'll just remain nomad

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    G'day Newt,

Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Your Champ

Welcome Newt come along to one of our get togethers.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Newt View Post
    Have recently played highercombe, but didn't particularly enjoy the 45 degree angle 'fairways' and blind tees. On the rare occasion I hit a straight drive, it invariably rolled off into the trees!

Yep, TTG is probably a bit pricey for me, since I'd only really be able to play on weekends. Maybe I'll just remain nomad
    Newt: Firstly welcome to the forum; its great to see the S.A crew growing by the day!

TTG: Being a former member of this course I can report a similar opinion to that of Hatch.
    It is an extremely busy and popular course largely due to the lack of quality courses in the area hence its demand is high.

If pricing is high on the agenda I suggest you travel North and consider either Gawler or Tanunda. Both courses range around $1k for a 7 day member and are of similar quality to TTG. Both of these courses have incredible potential largely due to the fantastic land and the soil within the area. Sadly due to funding both can only go so far. From recent reports Gawler's conditioning has improved considerably in the last year. My home course Tanunda is currently re-building a few greens and going through some conditioning changes. It takes me around 40 minutes through snake gully to arrive there from Greenwith. Its an enjoyable drive and one I look forward to on a Saturday morning. Gawler would be around 30 mins.

The magic of Tanunda is the ability to get on any Saturday morning without fail. The course is surprisingly quiet most weeks - something I never experienced at TTG.

If you would like any more information or perhaps a round at Tanunda feel free to PM me anytime.

Cheers, TC

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

From my one round there a decade ago Tanunda is also a fun track. Lots of elevation changes and some good rolling land. Membership at a grand seems great value.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

WB: the course made a notable improvement once Rockford winery took ownership some time ago along with 7 other shareholders - (including Yalumba).

The layout is impressive however we have some political opinions from members that are getting in the way of further improvements. As always its mostly to do with the saviour of landmark trees and speed of greens. Same old GCA arguments most clubs face so nothing new in that respect.

TC

I played at gawler recently and thought it was a very nice course. Particularly the front 9.

I'll have to check out tanunda too at some stage. Both are a bit further travel wise than I'd ideally want for my 'home' though.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt View Post
    I played at gawler recently and thought it was a very nice course. Particularly the front 9.

I'll have to check out tanunda too at some stage. Both are a bit further travel wise than I'd ideally want for my 'home' though.
    Doesn't leave a whole lot of options.
    TTG - high cost.
    Highercombe - billy goat country.
    Mawson Lakes - 9 hole crap course with theme park holes.
    North Lakes - good greens but rest is ordinary and slow rounds due to public choppers and I mean choppers with no golf etiquette.
    Regency Park - 9 holes but busy and full of public so expect slow rounds and not being able to get on when you want.

Your going to have to travel if you want join somewhere above average.

I played at Balaklava for 8 years and lived at Saint Agnes. Used to take me about 70-80mins.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 24th April 2015 at 07:01 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Welcome Newt. Enjoy!

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Welcome Newt,
    New member to this community myself but seem like a pretty good bunch

Thread Information