Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 62 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    What was your 52nd iron set choice?
    It was a tie; Callaway Apex Pros, 2013 X Forged and Cleveland 588CBs. And a Stock recount also disclosed I was already at 52!

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    The anticipation is killing me.

Have you decided on today's ball and buggy yet?
    No Spoilers for you Scotty!

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    My first round of golf in a fortnight today! Bag selection as follows;

Driver: Adams 9064LS Aldila RIP Stiff
    Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16*
    Hybrid: Adams 9031 Pro Black 18*
    Irons: Adams CB2 5- PW, CB3 4i
    Wedges: Yururi Raw Genki 53*, 57* & 61*
    Putter: Yes Stacey 12 CS 37"
    Ball: Toplflite Gamer, TM TP 2016
    Buggy: ClicGear M8
    It was a glorious day on the course (except for the howling westerly), but a horrible round of golf. I was actually striking the ball quite well, but I couldn't take a trick. Good drives finished dead up against trees, I lost count of the number of bad sprinkler kicks I had, and even a 4 putt on our horrible 3rd green (due to be ripped up shortly to try and fix it).

The 9064LS comes with a DFS (Distance Fitting System) adjustment system, that wasn't continued on with on subsequent models. The system kit allows you to adjust loft (+ or - 1*), length 0, +1/2"or +1") and swingweight (3 different weights provided). The Driver has a reputation as one of the better long drive models. I have a couple of these, but I hadn't got around to doing any real testing. For yesterday's round, I used the shortest set up (45") and loft set at +1* (9.5* head). It didn't appear to be super long, but it was very easy to hit and control, and they were coming out relatively straight most of the time. It has a distinct loud tink on contact, not quite Cobra loud, but you don't miss it.

My first outing with the CB2s and they felt pretty good. Unfortunately, I was chasing my tail most of the day, so they didn't really get a chance to prove themselves. But I hit enough good shots to like what I saw. They are the same lofts as the CB3s, so there will be a chance to do a full combo set as some point, though I didn't find them significantly harder to hit than the CB3s, so it might be a moot point anyway.

Senior Member Major Winner

Good drives finished dead up against trees
    Wouldn't that make them bad drives?

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Hi Josh,

I have only played one round with the Fly Z Pro Combos so far, but they seemed pretty good. Whether they are a match for my favourite set, the Cobra S3 Pro Combos is yet to be determined. Being a blade/cavity back mix, they are moderately forgiving, but nothing like say my Bio Cell + set. They are also not strong lofts, but as long as you adjust your club selection accordingly, they are still consistent distance wise.

They do require reasonably consistent ball striking though to get the best out of them. If you aren't quite so consistent, you will probably find something like the Bio Cells/Bio Cell + or Fly Zs easier to live with. MOI matching will also help in regard to improving your ball striking, happy to help out there in need. You are also welcome to borrow a set to try.
    Hi Dave.
    Re the moi matching comment, I moi matched my irons using Tutelmans swing weight method using my 6 iron as the reference club.
    Today's results were 4 under my HC with that down to some really consistent iron play as the driver was a bit squirrelly today.

If I can find time to get over your way I'd be keen to measure my irons on your moi analyser you see how far off I am.

Cheers
    Josh

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Wouldn't that make them bad drives?
    You would think so, but they ended up in a completely different places to where we all thought they were. The first one was dead straight and dead down the middle, but appears to have hit something and kicked hard right, and ran on long to end up against a tree (actually about 3" off the ground, hung up in some native couch runners). Another was the same straight down the middle, as I was being congratulated on a great drive, it landed, hit something (I presume a Sprinkler head) kick hard left and ran into a fairway bunker, but only far enough in to be on a side slope, and 6" below my feet! Another down the perfect line (3W this time) with a little L to R with wind also assisting. Again it hit something on landing and kicked hard left into a LWH. I was able to chop it out, but not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_Atterbury View Post
    Hi Dave.
    Re the moi matching comment, I moi matched my irons using Tutelmans swing weight method using my 6 iron as the reference club.
    Today's results were 4 under my HC with that down to some really consistent iron play as the driver was a bit squirrelly today.

If I can find time to get over your way I'd be keen to measure my irons on your moi analyser you see how far off I am.

Cheers
    Josh
    Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk
    Not a problem Josh, give us a yell when you are ready. I did a few sets via the Tutelman method, prior to getting the analyser, and they weren't too far away from being matched.

Bag selection for tomorrow as follows;

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland Classic XL 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie M2 18*
    Irons: Cleveland 588CBs 4- PW
    Ball: TBD
    Buggy: TBD

Bag selection for tomorrow as follows;

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL 10.5* with PL Blue Reg
    Fairway: Cleveland Classic XL 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie M2 18*
    Irons: Cleveland 588CBs 4- PW
    Ball: TM TP 2016
    Buggy: Smoothy Micro Suspension
    A bit better golf on Wednesday, but I was still not hitting them all that well.

I struggled a little with the Driver, I just wasn't hitting most of them cleanly. This put pressure on the rest of my game, and whilst I scrambled reasonably well, I just didn't get a run going. This Driver has performed well in the past , so I will blame the Operator!

Firs time out with the 588 CBs. They look terrific, very blade like, a thin top line and sole, and little offset. I was hitting 4 & 5 OK, but struggle a bit with the rest of the set. Probably more to do with the need to scramble a score, more often than not.

I putted reasonably well in the circumstances, but they (Greens Staff) keep screwing with our greens and they were variable speeds, and quite lumpy in places.

In the end I wiped the last from the middlel of the fairway for 31 points, which was frustrating, but probably a fair summary of my round.

Today's Bag selection, a few more first timers;

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5* with Oban Kiyoshi Gold
    Fairway: Callaway XR 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 18*
    Irons: Mizuno MP - 54 4- PW
    Putter: Cure RX 1

Today's Bag selection, a few more first timers;

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5* with Oban Kiyoshi Gold
    Irons: Mizuno MP - 54 4- PW
    Putter: Cure RX 1
    Ball: TM TP 2015
    Better golf overall. I started very well, left the Birdie putt hanging on the 1st, and made solid pars on the next 4. Then the pull miss started to creep in. I was hitting them solidly, but was pulling the odd iron into trouble. Doubled the 6th, and then staggered to 18 points on the front. A 3 putt for a bogey on the 9th annoyed me greatly, and it took me a few holes to get back to playing good golf. I brought it home pretty well, but bogeyed the last after a pulled drive into the trees for 16 points, 34 total.

It has been a while since the 913 has seen the bag, and I can't recall using the Kiyoshi in it before. I was driving it really well early, hit little fades with a nice low penetrating flight. Slight pulls crept in, but I managed to keep them mostly in play. But it did cost me a couple of bogeys in the end.

My first run with the Adams Pro Mini and I like it a lot. I hit some great approach shots with it. It has a Aldila Tour Green 2.8 shaft, and with a bit of extra length added to get it to my MOI target, it was very sweet.

The MP 54s turned up last week and I was keen to get them into the bag. S300 shafts saw pretty low ball flight, and a firm feel off the face. They might take a bit of getting used to, but I can't complain about the results with plenty of greens hit in Reg, and some very close misses. They weren't long, so I clubed accordingly, but the flight was very straight. The pulls spoilt what was looking like a pretty good ball striking round.

Firs time out with the Cure RX 1. Very interesting putters these. I have a few of them now. Not the prettiest putters, but they are very effective, once you get them tuned. This one is a Centre shaft, and with the design, it is easy to change from RH to LH. This is the case with the RX 1 and RX 2. You can also swap the offset shafts around, but they become onsets when set up left handed. The design allows you to alter the lie angle to suit. I have lengthened this one to 38", and am still playing around with getting the Lie angle just right. The Aluminium box construction gives it a strong tink sound at impact, some said it sounded like the old Pings. I got used to it quickly, but I could see it bothering some. It certainly is a very stable high MOI putter. And you can increase the MOI by adding extra weights from the kit it comes with. I was very solid with it early, but struggled a little later in the round.

A couple of things I found with it; 1) it is a very big putter head, the RX 2 is even bigger! 2) you have to be careful using it from off the green, its size and shape makes it prone to hang up quite easily if there is any length to the grass behind the ball. Ball position is very important, you don't want to be hitting down on the ball at all, and too much loft is also not a good thing. I think that a milled face would solve a few of these issues, but isn't an option as far as I know.

Shot of the round was my 2nd into the 17th. I hit a pretty good drive, but it finished close enough to the
    Fairway bunkers, that I had to stand in the bunker to hit my approach shot. I gripped well down on a 7 iron to keep the lie angle as flat as I could, and hit it very solidly to about 15 feet. The Birdie putt never looked like missing! Bam!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

"The MP 54s turned up last week and I was keen to get them into the bag. S300 shafts saw pretty low ball flight, and a firm feel off the face. They might take a bit of getting used to, but I can't complain about the results with plenty of greens hit in Reg, and some very close misses. They weren't long, so I clubed accordingly, but the flight was very straight. The pulls spoilt what was looking like a pretty good ball striking round."

I had a combo set of MP 53 & 59's wish I never sold them. Went through a bad patch with my iron swing and they got the blame
    I remember how sweet they felt with a good swing and yeah they weren't long but club accordingly and they were consistent.

From memory the lofts were true not like the 6 iron lofts they put on 7 irons now. Give them a fair crack Dave I'm sure you will like them once you get used to them

Quote Originally Posted by highballin View Post
    "The MP 54s turned up last week and I was keen to get them into the bag. S300 shafts saw pretty low ball flight, and a firm feel off the face. They might take a bit of getting used to, but I can't complain about the results with plenty of greens hit in Reg, and some very close misses. They weren't long, so I clubed accordingly, but the flight was very straight. The pulls spoilt what was looking like a pretty good ball striking round."

I had a combo set of MP 53 & 59's wish I never sold them. Went through a bad patch with my iron swing and they got the blame
    I remember how sweet they felt with a good swing and yeah they weren't long but club accordingly and they were consistent.

From memory the lofts were true not like the 6 iron lofts they put on 7 irons now. Give them a fair crack Dave I'm sure you will like them once you get used to them
    I have a combo set of 53/59s also HB, though I don't think I got them off you, they were an eBay buy. They may have been your old set though?

Yeah, the lofts are weaker than some for sure, though they are still a touch shorter compared to other similarly lofted sets I have.

Today's event is a 4BBB, which I normally wouldn't bother recording. But our club finally seems to have got it and they are running a single stableford in conjunction. Bag selection as follows;

Driver: Exotics XCG6 9* with Matrix Ozik HD 5.1 Reg
    Irons: Adams CB3 4 -PW with Matrix Program Reg
    Putter: Yes Stacey CS 37"
    Last edited by Daves; 4th August 2016 at 07:04 AM.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Only took most of the field not bothering to play the 4 balls

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Only took most of the field not bothering to play the 4 balls
    Yeah, the fields were dropping away. Yesterday's field was pretty full, and bigger than last week's single stab. Next I would like to see them become a mystery 4BBB, the Miclub system apparently has a function for it. Let's see the burglars' reaction to that!

Today's event is a 4BBB, which I normally wouldn't bother recording. But our club finally seems to have got it and they are running a single stableford in conjunction. Bag selection as follows;

Driver: Exotics XCG6 9* with Matrix Ozik HD 5.1 Reg
    Irons: Adams CB3 4 -PW with Matrix Program Reg
    Putter: Yes Stacey CS 37"
    I played reasonably well yesterday, just a stumble in the middle, when slow play started to annoy me and I let it get to me.

I have had the XCG6 for a while but I had not got around to putting it in the bag for a comp round. It is a low launch, low spin driver that you need to hit accordingly. I hit most of the fairways yesterday, only missing when I tried to do too much with the shot. In the strong wind it was pretty impressive, and reasonably long, with plenty of run out. I found the easiest way to hit it was to either set up to hit it straight, or move the ball forward a little in the stance and hit a little low running baby cut shot, if the hole shape called for it. Whilst I could hit little draws with it as well, I never felt totally comfortable with this shot.

Having nutted the Adams Pro Mini first time out, I struggled with it yesterday for some reason? It is very long, and that isn't always good if it is off line! as I found out to my cost.

This is a 2nd set of CB3s I recently picked up cheap, but with Reg Flex Program shafts vs the Stiff flex ones I already have. These launch super high, though without any significant extra spin, it seems. The high flight probably wasn't ideal in the windy conditions, but I managed them fairly well for most of the round. If you want to hit the ball JDay high, these are the clubs to do it!

Monthly Medal round tomorrow. My bag selection as follows;

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 9.5* with Matrix Black Tie F Flex
    Fairway: TM R15 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nike VR Pro 2 18*
    Irons: TM RSi 1 4 -PW
    Wedges: TM RSi 1 50 & 56*, Yururi Raw Genki 61*
    Putter: Yes Stacey CS 36"

Senior Member Major Winner

Chopper!

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Chopper!
    Mr Chopper to you Boyo!. I have not hit these at all yet. I will be interested to compare them to their Ancestors, the Burners and Speedblades. They look a lot less GI than I suspect they are. It strokes the Ego to be able to smash a 200m 4i, which I have done with the Burners and Speedblades. Yes, I know their 4i is really a 3i, but you can dream....
    Last edited by Daves; 6th August 2016 at 06:27 AM.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Good luck Dave, play well! Watch out when putting on the 2nd as it was very mean to me yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Good luck Dave, play well! Watch out when putting on the 2nd as it was very mean to me yesterday.
    A snowman I see!, 4 putt, 5 putt? You need to be careful if you are above the hole, it can be very slippery.

5 putt. There was also a couple of 4 putts by my playing partners on the day.

Blog Entries

Indeed there were. awesome putting was on display.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

I fixed my spinning grip with some contact adhesive but will have to putt one handed till I work out how to seperate my other hand from my....😀

Blog Entries

Spillage is not good with that glue.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 9.5* with Matrix Black Tie F Flex
    Fairway: TM R15 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Nike VR Pro 2 18*
    Wedges: TM RSi 1 50 & 56*, Yururi Raw Genki 61*
    Putter: Yes Stacey CS 36"
    I played well for most of yesterday's round, but mucked up 4 holes badly. 2 doubles, 2 triples were the end results.

I was struggling with my Driver direction on and off. The bad shot was a pull right, inevitably into the tree line and trouble. I put it down to trying to hit it too hard in the windy conditions.

I only used the R15 3 wood for one shot (my drive on 14) and it was pure.

My first time out with the RSi 1s. They arrived Wednesday (from 3Ballsgolf at a great price) and I converted them to my set up on Thursday. They went pretty well shot result wise, but I didn't find them very communicative. They certainly are very forgiving right across the face from what I could tell. The matching AW and SW were also OK, but they aren't going to knock the Yururis off their perch anytime soon.

It was tough putting round with some very nasty pin positions, as the Black Marker players found on Friday. I putted pretty well in the conditions, but I still had 2 x 3 putts (8th and 13th). I did make some very good putts with the Stacey 12 though.

Thread Information