http://www.golfwrx.com/320652/the-ab...-swing-weight/

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    The absolute facts about swing weight

What it is, why it is important and why it can be confusing
    By Tom Wishon -
    - Aug 12, 2015

http://www.golfwrx.com/320652/the-ab...-swing-weight/
    If I've understood that properly Wishon says swingweight is simply something that's nice to know AFTER correct fitting and building and has little to no relevance prior to this point.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    If I've understood that properly Wishon says swingweight is simply something that's nice to know AFTER correct fitting and building and has little to no relevance prior to this point.
    Sort of. If they have been fitted/built for you, the clubmaker should factor in the desired SW/MOI for you when building the clubs. If it is an existing set, then you may need to experiment with 1 or 2 clubs to get the feel right, note the SW/MOI and then alter the rest of the set accordingly.

A bit of an experiment coming up. I have acquired a set of Cobra S3 Max ïrons with UST 60 gram "Lite' shafts. I have extend them to play +1.5", which brings them up to around D4 to D7 SW. This will hopefully give me a guide as to whether Hefty is more important that Heavy in the equation. Logic says no, with my quickish tempo and transition, Heavy should play a role, but we will see how it pans out.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

A bit of an experiment coming up. I have acquired a set of Cobra S3 Max ïrons with UST 60 gram "Lite' shafts. I have extend them to play +1.5", which brings them up to around D4 to D7 SW. This will hopefully give me a guide as to whether Hefty is more important that Heavy in the equation. Logic says no, with my quickish tempo and transition, Heavy should play a role, but we will see how it pans out.
    Logic would suggest some counter weighting is required. Lead tape wrapped around the shaft just below the grip should do the trick to find the right balance.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Logic would suggest some counter weighting is required. Lead tape wrapped around the shaft just below the grip should do the trick to find the right balance.
    Not on these Ray, + 1.5" and D4 to D7 is about my fit it seems. All my other sets are steel shafts, these are the only graphites. I do counter balance some sets, but usually only the non counter balanced shafts like DGs that seem to SW much higher (usually in to the Es without Counter Balancing). I have lead weights that fit in the butt end to do this;

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CWC

Last edited by Daves; 22nd August 2015 at 06:54 AM.

Sort of. If they have been fitted/built for you, the clubmaker should factor in the desired SW/MOI for you when building the clubs. If it is an existing set, then you may need to experiment with 1 or 2 clubs to get the feel right, note the SW/MOI and then alter the rest of the set accordingly.
    Just Did this with the P1 heads, usually play stiff with higher SW, but with the slightly lighter heads tried R flex first then went with lower weight higher Torque stiff. SW vs Flex was a fine balance and achieved nicely with the SPR, feel and action is perfect. Pair that with the slightly higher launch of the reds and direct flight of the blades and they perform like player half muscle with the purity of a blade.

Love the experimenting and getting it right, probably my best build and most satisfying to date.
    Bag Of Tricks

Epon AF 103 / Basileus AAA
    Zodia 801 3 / Basileus B Series
    Zodia UT / Basileus UT
    Buchi DI / Shimada Tour
    Epon SUS / Shimada Tour
    Crazy Toyoshima / Shimada NW
    Yamada Kamakura

Took these for a hit during a practice round this afternoon, and the results were pretty much as forecast. With my normal swing I couldn't hit them straight to save myself, they just want to go left and spin like crazy. I kept trying and they kept ballooning and fading. It was only when I slowed my swing tempo right down, that they came out anywhere near where I aimed.

Member Club Pro

Switching from 65g S driver shaft to either PROFORCE AXIVCORE Black 89 or UST V2 77 Gram. the V2 has 1.7 torque low launch and the Axvicore is counter balance and has a higher launch. Virge was right. I also like the V2 in my 3Wood. I'll report back later.

The 89s Axivcore Tour Black has been the best shaft I've put in my SLDR.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Forecaddie View Post
    Switching from 65g S driver shaft to either PROFORCE AXIVCORE Black 89 or UST V2 77 Gram. the V2 has 1.7 torque low launch and the Axvicore is counter balance and has a higher launch. Virge was right. I also like the V2 in my 3Wood. I'll report back later.
    I am playing R11. I might see how it goes in my 3 wood too. Thanks.

The axiv shafts are fantastic. Wish they kept making them. Counter balancing in drivers should be mandatory

The Callaway S2H2's I'm currently gluing up are big fatties.
    Have just completed the 3 & 4 and both weight in at E2 ��

Shafts are DG Black Gold's
    2 layers of tape under Grip
    Mid Size Golf Pride Tour Velvet Grips
    Bore through plug.

I like them heavy, looking forward to seeing how these go.

W.I.T.B

Finished the whole set. All weighting in @ E1-E2

W.I.T.B

Took the fat S2H2's out today to make sure all the heads never come off (first set of bore through's built). None come off.

Wow is one word I could use. Dropped a heap of balls from different lengths to use them all.
    Flushed a heap off balls through the green before I started taking one less.

W.I.T.B

Srixon have boarded the hefty train.
    I wonder if this will be the start of others following?
    http://srixon.com.au/clubs/z-355-driver/
    Last edited by Hatchman; 8th October 2015 at 10:45 PM.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Forecaddie View Post
    Do you have CPMs yet?
    Sorry, this has taken me a while!. I was hoping to pick up an MOI Analyser and do this properly. But the dollar hasn't been friendly, and Golfsmiths have been unhelpful. I recently picked up a set of Ping S56s with CFT Distance shafts (stiff), and needed to back weight them to get the SW right, after lenghtening them to my + 1.5" playing length. A little bit of smoke and mirrors in conventional building terms, but the extra butt weight seems to work for me. I assume the CFTS are constant weight shafts?, as I had to add a fair bit of weight.

Any ways, after the initial build, which was done somewhat quick and dirty, I went back and re-weighted them based on the 1.3 Swing Weights per inch approach. My scales aren't digital, so it isn't super accurate, but it is pretty close I reckon.

Just ran the set through the Auditor, grips on and clamped at full length. Results as follows;

4i 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i PW
    275 281 283 288 290 295 298

Dave, do you extend all your clubs +1.5" to help get the swing weight up or is it just an added bonus when re-setting them to the length you like? You must have a large stock of extenders. Where's the best place at a good price to get them from?
    I'm seriously toying with the idea of re-shafting my S200 DG 712 AP2's with either Modus3 (not sure which weight) or KBS (not sure if Tour or C-Taper) but want to extend the playing length by at lest an inch at the same time as the extra length and swing weight has gone so well in the Callaway S2H2's I did recently. I figured the best way was to buy the shafts as std and just add extenders or am of way off here.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by HatchmanSS76 View Post
    Dave, do you extend all your clubs +1.5" to help get the swing weight up or is it just an added bonus when re-setting them to the length you like? You must have a large stock of extenders. Where's the best place at a good price to get them from?
    I'm seriously toying with the idea of re-shafting my S200 DG 712 AP2's with either Modus3 (not sure which weight) or KBS (not sure if Tour or C-Taper) but want to extend the playing length by at lest an inch at the same time as the extra length and swing weight has gone so well in the Callaway S2H2's I did recently. I figured the best way was to buy the shafts as std and just add extenders or am of way off here.
    The 1.5" is about playing length, the extra heft is a bonus. I was originally fitted many years ago at +1/2" and played that for years. I sort of stumbled onto the fact that my ball striking was much better at +1.5"

I buy most of my extensions from Golfworks, they do good regular specials. Just put in an order on the weekend in fact.

A few ways to get to the extra length;

1) new shafts obviously, enables you to build to the desired SW at the same time.
    2) Buy and install used shafts, an 1" or more over std.
    3) Steel Extensions are good for anything under 2" extra
    4) Soft stepping shafts. In your case, to get an extra inch, you could soft step twice (3i into 5i, etc) or buy shafts that are 1.2" over to start with. Ex soft step is roughly equivalent to a 1/3 flex variance. I find that longer shafts are softer in any case, probably by a comparable factor.

An extra inch typically adds about 6 SWs. Counter balanced shafts tend show less of an increase in my experience, Constant weight shafts like Dynamic Gold will show the full 6 SWs.

I back weight my clubs, as previously mentioned. Works for me, but many don't find any benefit. The general view is it is cheating the SW scale, and weight at the grip end has no real effect. There is some evidence though, that a heavy butt end in your hands suits some golfers. See my previous posts.

Latest iron experimenting is suggesting I could possibly go even longer and heftier than my current builds. Currently playing a set of CB3s with Program 8.1s built about 2" over standard iron length. SW is mid/high Ds through to low Es. Not sure on the total weight comparative?, that may be a overall limiting factor? I am not sure?

I have previously favored heavy shafts, so the relatively lighter Programs have been a pleasant surprise so far. I am striking these consistently, and distance control is also very good.

Interestingly, the MOI of these irons are in relatively tight grouping, only a gram here and there needed to get them to match.

More measuring, comparatives and tinkering to come I think.

Thread Information