Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

some guy just shot 48 points on a Saturday......

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    some guy just shot 48 points on a Saturday......
    Fourth Saturday in November would be Des.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Member Club Champion

I had 38 points and didn't win a ball yesterday.......
    WITB

Driver - TM Jetspeed 10.5 - Fubuki 73 x5ct Stiff
    Woods - 5w 18 degree - Custom
    Irons - 3-9 - Custom, FCM 5.0 Rifle
    Wedges - PW and SW - Custom
    Gap Wedge - Titleist Vokey SM54
    Lob Wedge - Cleveland 60*/12 CG14 Camo
    Putter - Ping Anser Karsten - SuperStroke Ultra Slim 1.0
    Ball - Titliest ProV1
    Glove - Footjoy StaSof
    Shoes - Adidas Powerband

Transport - 1995 Yamaha G9A Petrol Golf Cart

=============
    Golflink

shot a 73, goes in as 3.4, DSR of 69 on a Saturday. Surely they've stuffed up the slope rating or something

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Its hard to imagine any 134 slope course consistently rating under par. Should be by rights over par.

Even poor old Royal Nudgee rarely has a DSR lower than par and its slope is 120/117
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

My course is slope of 126, par 71 and ACR of 70. Last 3 Saturday's the DSR has been 68. Absolutely ridiculous. I blame the slope, allowing 20 odd markers to play 3 to 4 shots higher. We were originally sloped at 118, but an adjustment was made at a later date.

We have never had a DSR/CCR of that low here before. I am considering not playing comp at the moment, as I need to shoot 1 over to play to cap.

We have 230+ in the field every week as well.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Our course is the same, the slope is to high at 136, plenty of harder courses rated easier. Should be around 120

No wonder I dont do club comps very often! Better getting a few groups together add some cash and bingo great day out! The bigger the cash pool the more the fun! Add side bets for more excitement. Saves dealing with the issues herein!

my "local" track is rated 114 but my comp track is 127 I think??? which gives me some more shots but is infinitely harder than my local, I wont play comp on my local as it will effect my cap unfairly for other decent courses

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    my "local" track is rated 114 but my comp track is 127 I think??? which gives me some more shots but is infinitely harder than my local, I wont play comp on my local as it will effect my cap unfairly for other decent courses
    That makes no sense to me what so ever?? A combination of slope (less handicap) and DSR should equalise the rounds to a fair extent I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    That makes no sense to me what so ever?? A combination of slope (less handicap) and DSR should equalise the rounds to a fair extent I would have thought.
    I could probably play my local to a 10/12 cap, no bunkers and very flat which to my understanding given I only have 6 cards in would bring my cap in dramatically, that's my understanding Dave, am I wrong? glad to be given the heads up if so

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    I could probably play my local to a 10/12 cap, no bunkers and very flat which to my understanding given I only have 6 cards in would bring my cap in dramatically, that's my understanding Dave, am I wrong? glad to be given the heads up if so
    Your course handicap is going to be 2 shots less on the 114 vs the 127 course for starters. The daily DSR rating will likely make up the balance of any difference. That is the intention of the 2 systems anyway. As to your handicap situation with only 6 cards in, your handicap is calculated on your single lowest (adjusted) score in. The 7th round will move this to your 2 lowest scores, then 9 will take to 3 lowest, 11 to 4 lowest and so on. So the effect dwindles as you add courses

see page 21 for more details;

http://www.golf.org.au/site/_content...411-source.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    Dear Buzz
    How did you go today?
    Your turn on the roster?
    Nahh didn't play, wife had the baby last week so no golf

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Same happening at Kooindah waters of late. One big reason for moving was the constant DSR of 67 (par 71) slope 116 of Gosford Golf club.

Kooindah now rates 68 to 70 being a par 72 slope of 125 or 131 depending on tee's.

My 74 (42 stableford) had me play to 6.6. Ended up second for the day as well. What do you do!

Same problems as everyone else, people off 20+ having 45 points

Should be 2 or 3 DSR's, one per grade

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Same happening at Kooindah waters of late. One big reason for moving was the constant DSR of 67 (par 71) slope 116 of Gosford Golf club.

Kooindah now rates 68 to 70 being a par 72 slope of 125 or 131 depending on tee's.

My 74 (42 stableford) had me play to 6.6. Ended up second for the day as well. What do you do!

Same problems as everyone else, people off 20+ having 45 points

Should be 2 or 3 DSR's, one per grade
    Absolutely agree Matt. A grade should be 0-9 or lower, unlike my club which is 0-14. DSR's for the different grades definitely has to be looked at.

And from how I understand it, the slope is for an average 18 marker. Why wouldn't there be a DSR for different grades when it's a different course being played by good golfers and average golfers.

And from how I understand it, the slope is for an average 18 marker. Why wouldn't there be a DSR for different grades when it's a different course being played by good golfers and average golfers.
    Slope is not a measure of how difficult a course is.

How is it a different course for 2 groups of golfers?

From golf Australia:
    What is the difference between a Scratch and Slope Rating?
    The Slope Rating is a measure of how much the difficulty of a course increases for the handicap golfer. The Slope Rating determines how many handicap strokes you get from a specific set of tees. The Scratch Rating is what your score is compared against when it’s processed for handicapping.

Things such as bunkers, hazards, risk reward and even the way a hole is played is totally different for someone off 3 to someone off 25. So if every 25 marker hitting it 180m off the tee and can't reach these hazards, the hole could play a lot different than the golfer hitting it 260m over the bunkers bringing the water into play etc

If slope isn't how hard a course is, why is the slope at all?? Harder courses you get more shots, easier less shots

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Ever thought of not using driver off the tee on those holes?

most of our A graders don't play here anymore. i was observing the order of merit (on golflink) for my club and i was surprised at how many of our top players have gone up heaps! our club champion went from +2 to 0.8 in a matter of 2 months (surprise surprise when the DSR started to rate so low).

There are some ridiculous course ratings and DSRs going around. A good example is Albert Park, which is a much under-rated track. It is par 70 for its members. Off the blacks slope is 106 and AMCR is 67. DSR is often 66 or 65. Although it is not overly long it has 2 par 4s of over 400m and one of the hardest 190m par 3s going around. Craig Spence won a pro am there 2 years ago with a 71. Conditions were warm, soft and still and none of the 18 pros in the field managed a par round. Main issue is the small raised greens. Club Championship was won this year by a guy who plays Div 1 VGA pennant who averaged 74 across 3 rounds. He also won their clubbies last year. To shoot par around that track is great work and gets you a played to 3 or 4. All the low markers who want to qualify for the Ivos play the sandbelt to get their HCPs down. They cant do it at Albert Park.
    Last edited by Scifisicko; 24th November 2014 at 04:48 PM.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

From golf Australia:
    What is the difference between a Scratch and Slope Rating?
    The Slope Rating is a measure of how much the difficulty of a course increases for the handicap golfer. The Slope Rating determines how many handicap strokes you get from a specific set of tees. The Scratch Rating is what your score is compared against when it’s processed for handicapping.

Things such as bunkers, hazards, risk reward and even the way a hole is played is totally different for someone off 3 to someone off 25. So if every 25 marker hitting it 180m off the tee and can't reach these hazards, the hole could play a lot different than the golfer hitting it 260m over the bunkers bringing the water into play etc

If slope isn't how hard a course is, why is the slope at all?? Harder courses you get more shots, easier less shots
    It's not a measure if difficulty, it's a measure of relative difficulty for an 18 handicapper than a scratch marker.

The two groups might play it differently but it's the same course and the issues you pointed out are exactly what slope is supposed to reflect. Your 180m driving 25 marker has to deal with a lot more problems than hitting it too far. Forced carries, no such thing as a 2 shot par 5, 360m par 4 is a 3
    shot hole, bunkers at 180 off the tee, bunkers short of the green etc. hitting it too far is a fairly easy problem to rectify.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    It's not a measure if difficulty, it's a measure of relative difficulty for an 18 handicapper than a scratch marker.

The two groups might play it differently but it's the same course and the issues you pointed out are exactly what slope is supposed to reflect. Your 180m driving 25 marker has to deal with a lot more problems than hitting it too far. Forced carries, no such thing as a 2 shot par 5, 360m par 4 is a 3
    shot hole, bunkers at 180 off the tee, bunkers short of the green etc. hitting it too far is a fairly easy problem to rectify.
    Yes the slope is technically that, 18 compared to scratch, but harder courses rate harder. So I still think the slope is a measure of difficulty.

I still think that courses are played totally different for 25 marker to 13 marker to 2 marker. Different hazards come in and out of play.

I don't think it's fair on low markers to have good rounds compared to handicap and be penalised by a low DSR due to high handicappers getting extra shots and shooting 45 points off 28.

Separate DSR's would solve the issue in my opinion.

Also, on my course, hitting it 180 takes all the trouble out of play. There are no carries from the tees, and most bunkers are 220-260 from the tee. Yes there is a lot of water but only one hole forces you to go over it (9th).

I feel that the slope system is good and bad, but I think lower markers are getting the rough end of the stick

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Separate DSRs would solve nothing if for example you have a small field. Just as likely to get skewed one way or another based on there being fewer scores

It's being skewed now on small fields as the average handicap must be 16 or 18 across the board. Well seems to be on my course, if not higher. So it leans towards them regardless

Thread Information