Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Good hands V body swings!

Any Aussies with a good set of hands on tour atm? In the past many of the top players had great hands and able to hit all types of shots making them great strikers of the ball. Anyone seen a flusher worthy of a mention? Plenty of swingers around but they are boring as imo!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    Maybe you can change the way that describes a golf swing and defines a players shotmaking abilities!
    How about - great ball striker. "Great hands" can be reserved to drop on the opposition when you need an advantage.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    How about - great ball striker. "Great hands" can be reserved to drop on the opposition when you need an advantage.
    Sorry missed something here!

Sorry missed something here!
    I get the impression that you still believe that there is a hands swing and a body swing in the world's elite golf ranks. My best advice is to do research on "conservation of Angular Momentum " as it relates to the golf swing. Golf teacher and author Joe Dante in his book "The Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf" (published in the late 1960's) devoted a full chapter to this topic. It is a book worth having in your golf library.

The term "great hands" is also associated with the sport of boxing. I'm guessing that it describes a boxer who has great hand speed and delivers a heavy hit. If he used the muscles in his hands to hit an opponent it would be classed as a slap. A solid punch in boxing starts from the ground up and is landed with the weight of the body behind the punch resulting in a sustained blow. Just before impact the muscles in the forearm and wrist joint brace for the shock of impact. The hands are the point of impact in a chain of actions.

If a golfer consciously uses his hands to speed up the club head during the downswing, he will slap the ball. What he needs to do is to keep his hands from releasing until they are opposite his right leg and brace the forearms to break the inertia of the ball at rest. The art of a great ball striker is that every movement in his swing has a specific purpose in a chain of movements, with the hands tasked with the job of securing the club.

Ben Hogan's quote "Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come close to having a perfect golf swing" really applies to those golfers who come to golf as adults. What we see when we watch Rory McIlroy swing or any other touring pro swing, are movements that are caused by deliberate movements that we can't see. These deliberate movement are the key to understanding the player's swing. When we get a lesson or a series of lessons, the pro is faced with the decision to teach these key deliberate movements (if he knows them and which are quite difficult to explain, and risk losing the pupil and income) or teach something like the pupil sees the pros doing and rely on the pupil's hand/eye co-ordination to get the ball airborne in the right direction. The majority of golfers who come to golf after playing other sports learn golf by watch others swing. That is probably the main reason why the handicaps of the majority of golfers never change much from generation to generation. We've never been taught the real elements of the golf swing.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

There are two types of golf swing types being referred to as large muscle dominance and the other is know as a hands swing. These terms have been used to describe golf swings for 30 years+ by golf professionals throughout the world! Thats all not needed to be analysed in such depth!

That was Ray's short answer. Wait for the in-depth follow-up.

There are two types of golf swing types being referred to as large muscle dominance and the other is know as a hands swing. These terms have been used to describe golf swings for 30 years+ by golf professionals throughout the world! Thats all not needed to be analysed in such depth!
    Really. Are you certain that it is not your personal concept of the difference between long swings and a shorter action and differences in body types? Unless we know the essential elements of a golf swing, then we are speculating and open to all sorts of misconceptions about the swing.

No! If you can come up with improved interpretive terms for classifying golf swings then Im sure you could make a few dollars!
    Last edited by Coldtopper; 23rd November 2014 at 07:27 PM.

As a matter of interest what do you play off Razor?

What I play off is irrelevant to the discussion. Have played off a low handicap for 50 years, and like most golfers I played with the wrong concepts of an efficient swing. Forty of those years were on what I refer to as the dark ages in learning the proper technique. A time when golf journists wrote instruction on the golf swing based on what we could see. The real secrets of the swing were rarely mentioned in print or if they were, they appeared in wording that was misleading.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I like how you threw a word like interpretive out there, to counteract a 4 paragraph novel from the raz

Round and round we go, where's Jono?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    I like how you threw a word like interpretive out there, to counteract a 4 paragraph novel from the raz

I heard he has taken up cycling.....

Hopefully not pulling babies out of drains!

What I play off is irrelevant to the discussion. Have played off a low handicap for 50 years, and like most golfers I played with the wrong concepts of an efficient swing. Forty of those years were on what I refer to as the dark ages in learning the proper technique. A time when golf journists wrote instruction on the golf swing based on what we could see. The real secrets of the swing were rarely mentioned in print or if they were, they appeared in wording that was misleading.
    I like your honesty! Play well

Hopefully not pulling babies out of drains!
    Cooling off in his spar if he is lucky. Still flogging clubs 3?

How are your hands going 3OD? Based on your swing posted you have good hands! Playing well ?

How are your hands going 3OD? Based on your swing posted you have good hands! Playing well ?
    3OD theory on the hands in relation to the golf swing are if u are hitting too far left u haven't spent enough time in the shower pre-round, if u are hitting it too far right then you were in there too long!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    3OD theory on the hands in relation to the golf swing are if u are hitting too far left u haven't spent enough time in the shower pre-round, if u are hitting it too far right then you were in there too long!!!
    Thats why he can play

Thats why he can play
    Maybe he needs a second shower to help him with his putting

30 putts satdy, broken 80 three of the last four rounds and my handicap is going out.

Very few pulls though

30 putts satdy, broken 80 three of the last four rounds and my handicap is going out.

Very few pulls though
    So u are having baths now????

Blog Entries

Ray won't say but like me he is getting on a bit!
    He has and still is a good player who has studied this sort of stuff extensively.
    He has a very analytical mind and is definitely smarter than pretty much everybody here.

Oh and BTW, when I played with Ray a number of years ago he was in low single figures.
    Pretty good for a guy in his sixties!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 LST 9* Driver with CB55 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    TM Stealth 2 Hybrid with Nemeses 90 M4 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    He has and still is a good player who has studied this sort of stuff extensively.
    He has a very analytical mind and is definitely smarter than pretty much everybody here.

Oh and BTW, when I played with Ray a number of years ago he was in low single figures.
    It is guys like Ray that make golf interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post

Hey Pete, how is life in Tassie? SEQld has been in an extended dry period and as a consequence the courses with limited water supplies are really struggling. Times like this is when I wish we were in Tassie.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Classic understatement Ray. Dry as up here with awful amounts of run.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Blog Entries

People say it is cold here but looks like you got more ice yesterday than we get!

Hope no one here got damaged/hurt!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 LST 9* Driver with CB55 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    TM Stealth 2 Hybrid with Nemeses 90 M4 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Thread Information