Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    I am of the opinion that you need a decent action to be able to hit a long iron. You can get away with more sloppy swings with a hybrid. Just an opinion based on my observations! Sure there is exceptions to the rules when talking about professionals using hybrids but for the average weekend warrior most can’t hit a 7 iron let alone a 2 iron.
    Totally agree, I struggle to hit a 7iron, but go ok with a 2iron with a 7iron shaft.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I recently put a 2i back in the bag. I was hitting my hybrid too far.
    TM R1 - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TXTaylor Made 200 Tour 15 Prolite 35X Taylor Made 300Forged 2 Iron Rifle 6.0 Nike Victory Red TW 3-PW Project X 6.0 Nike VR 52°, Vokey SM7 58/12Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5/ Prototype Cameron Long Neck

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Totally agree, I struggle to hit a 7iron, but go ok with a 2iron with a 7iron shaft.
    but you are an exception. You flush your irons

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

From the tee, 2 irons can be great for low running shots which don't need to carry much or to keep it out of the wind.

Hybrids can launch high and be a lot better for coming into greens.

It depends what type of shot you need and what you hit more

I've found a good balance with an iron like hybrid. High flight when needed into a green but can hit it low as well.

Hard to get a 2 iron to hold a green when landing on the full unless you can bring rain with it

Hard to hit a low rubber with a hybrid if it launches high

All depends on what you need it to do

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    you series? thats what u used at st micks?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by AusOdy View Post
    you series? thats what u used at st micks?
    Yep....

MrBluu has done a number on my 962 DCI 2-iron, cutting the shaft down to 7-iron length and adjusting lie according. I've only taken it on in practice a few times as I'm not sure how it fits with my regular bag set up, but it normally its cracking stingers - mostly only maybe 5m off the ground and running out like the clappers. I've hit a couple that have had more of a hybrid-ey flight as well.
    I've been on the prowl for a 712U, but instead today settled for a 712MB 3-iron to deck out the set my 712MB set. For me, with the distances hybrids go these days, I'm seeing my hybrid more so replace my 3W than my longer irons. I hit my long irons relatively okay, but even when I pipe one, distance-wise it's usually well behind a well struck hybrid. My distance gap from hybrid to 3W is a fair bit less than from hybrid to 4-iron.

Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Great ideas in this thread.
    I never did well with hybrids. Not sure why but we don't get along. Have been playing 3 iron for a long time now and just picked up a 712U 2 iron to go in between the 3w and 3i. Not sure if it will work out but I find I have more confidence with the long irons than hybrids and woods. I'm not sure what kind of height I'll get out of it but I'm a high ball hitter naturally. Seeing as I am still out of the game, might not find out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    From the tee, 2 irons can be great for low running shots which don't need to carry much or to keep it out of the wind.

Hybrids can launch high and be a lot better for coming into greens.

It depends what type of shot you need and what you hit more

I've found a good balance with an iron like hybrid. High flight when needed into a green but can hit it low as well.

Hard to get a 2 iron to hold a green when landing on the full unless you can bring rain with it

Hard to hit a low rubber with a hybrid if it launches high

All depends on what you need it to do
    Never had a issue with hitting greens with long irons just need to shape the ball accordingly and play at reasonable courses that are receptive to good shots holding the greens. I play slightly softer shafts in my long irons that gives the confidence needed to work the ball both ways and a higher flight.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    Never had a issue with hitting greens with long irons just need to shape the ball accordingly and play at reasonable courses that are receptive to good shots holding the greens. I play slightly softer shafts in my long irons that gives the confidence needed to work the ball both ways and a higher flight.
    Most of the shots coming in to the greens from this distance (200-230) are either par 5's or long par 4's where the green is designed to take the longer shot. However when it all firms up, no amount of 'reasonable' is going to keep a ball on the green unless you land it short or bring it from a great height.

Whatever shot you are going to hit most (from the tee or into a green) is going to be a good guide as to which you want or like better.

If you are hitting hybrids / long irons from 160-175 then the higher flight from a hybrid is usually going to work more.

Senior Member Major Winner

it doesnt matter how you word it... long irons are awful when compared to properly fit hybrid. What driver would you rather use ? the 200cc from the mid 90's or a current model with all the COG back and low with much lower weight. Long irons are dinosaurs, especially on a modern golf course.

And yes - I have hit a few great long iron shots in my time... but i have hit a lot more bad ones than good ones.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Agree Virge. A mate who is returning to golf on a plus h' cap was amazed with the latest hybrids. He can adjust his new Titty 3 hybrid to carry 210 with 20 mettes run or 225 m carry with 5-10 metres roll.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Thread Information