Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello Ozgolf

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Default Hello Ozgolf

Hi Everyone,

Another returning golfer here. Been about 6 years since I played consistently and have decided to give it a real crack this summer and get the handicap down to single figures. I've had a couple of lessons that have got rid of some bad habits but as the name suggests the short game has some issues. Just got some new titleist AP1 irons that are a fair upgrade on my old Wilson Ultra's. A new driver is next on the upgrade list so I'll be venturing off to the pro shop page soon.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Welcome

What do you play off now - how big a target have you set yourself?

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Welcome. Where abouts are you based?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Maybe you should upgrade your wedges? Welcome cantchip.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

A guy who can't chip buying a new driver. Should fit in well around here.

Welcome!
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Welcome

What do you play off now - how big a target have you set yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Welcome. Where abouts are you based?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Maybe you should upgrade your wedges? Welcome cantchip.
    Hey all,

Of 12 at the moment but haven't played to that in a long time. It was 2008/09 when I first started to get serious and got a handicap as I was moving to the UK and wanted to play St Andrews. Got down to 15 before I left and then while I was away the handicap system changed and when I came back I was off 10 and hadn't played for two years. Slowly crept out since then. Going for single figures by Christmas and then just to play as well as I can after that.

Based in Albury and play at Thurgoona.

I do have a Cleveland 60* at the moment but due to never being able to hit the driver that came with the Wilson Ultra set I had I am keen to get that sorted next. Sick of hitting 3W off the tee. I'm thinking driver now, then a 48* and 54* wedge next. (The AP1 PW is 44*)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Welcome cantchip.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by cantchip View Post
    Of 12 at the moment but haven't played to that in a long time. It was 2008/09 when I first started to get serious and got a handicap as I was moving to the UK and wanted to play St Andrews. Got down to 15 before I left and then while I was away the handicap system changed and when I came back I was off 10 and hadn't played for two years. Slowly crept out since then. Going for single figures by Christmas and then just to play as well as I can after that.
    Were you a member anywhere in the UK and did you get a handicap there? The reason I ask is I moved to Aus from the UK, and I have a theory that generally handicaps would be lower here in Aus (especially with the new system) than they would be with the UK system..

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    A guy who can't chip buying a new driver. Should fit in well around here.

Welcome!
    Haha yep. In my defence, I don't think the wedges matter when you either strike the middle of the ball or 3 inches behind it. I am working on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Were you a member anywhere in the UK and did you get a handicap there? The reason I ask is I moved to Aus from the UK, and I have a theory that generally handicaps would be lower here in Aus (especially with the new system) than they would be with the UK system..
    No never a member in the UK and no UK handicap. My problem was that I didn't have the twenty rounds when the system changed to best 8 out of 20. Think I may have only had about ten. My last two rounds before leaving were both played to 10 so they took a long time to leave the calculation.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Haha yep. In my defence, I don't think the wedges matter when you either strike the middle of the ball or 3 inches behind it. I am working on it though.
    Agreed. My short game is diabolical at best, and I've never bothered with equipment because I figure it would be even more disappointing if you skulled one with a $300 wedge.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    Agreed. My short game is diabolical at best, and I've never bothered with equipment because I figure it would be even more disappointing if you skulled one with a $300 wedge.
    Nah, it feels the same, except you check the expensive wedge for damage after digging a few holes with it.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

G'Day
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Welcome, cantchip.

Don't bother asking for chipping advice in The Academy. Not many of us can chip either.

We do have one other member based in Albury, namely Oz. He doesn't post very often nowadays, but you may run into him on the forum somewhere.

We also occasionally float the idea of having a trip to the Murray, but it hasn't happened yet. If it ever does we'd expect you to join us.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Hey all,

Based in Albury and play at Thurgoona.

I do have a Cleveland 60* at the moment but due to never being able to hit the driver that came with the Wilson Ultra set I had I am keen to get that sorted next. Sick of hitting 3W off the tee. I'm thinking driver now, then a 48* and 54* wedge next. (The AP1 PW is 44*)

Welcome mate.

I would be going 48/52/56. I don't like anything more than a 58* wedge and most ppl can't handle it. Also bounce is just as important as loft!

Have a search around there a good threads on here about chipping. Check out the clips on YouTube about using the bounce when chipping. Ben Crane has a good one.

Also happy to sell u a driver

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Welcome, cantchip.

Don't bother asking for chipping advice in The Academy. Not many of us can chip either.

We do have one other member based in Albury, namely Oz. He doesn't post very often nowadays, but you may run into him on the forum somewhere.

We also occasionally float the idea of having a trip to the Murray, but it hasn't happened yet. If it ever does we'd expect you to join us.
    Sounds good, plenty of good tracks along the river, grew up not too far from Murray Downs which is always in good nick.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Welcome mate.

I would be going 48/52/56. I don't like anything more than a 58* wedge and most ppl can't handle it. Also bounce is just as important as loft!

Have a search around there a good threads on here about chipping. Check out the clips on YouTube about using the bounce when chipping. Ben Crane has a good one.

Also happy to sell u a driver
    Yeah have seen that Ben Crane video and since then have been making more consistent contact. What makes the increased loft harder to handle?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Yeah have seen that Ben Crane video and since then have been making more consistent contact. What makes the increased loft harder to handle?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
    I got no idea mate, but a lot of ppl recommend that mid to high handicappers have a 56* as the most lofted club in there bag.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, I saw your name and thought you were me

Thread Information