Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Queensland courses

Sitting at brissie airport waiting for flight to Melbourne. Thought I'd share some thoughts on a few courses I played over the week.

Sanctuary cove - pines course.

Always enjoy playing this course and have done so a number of times. Greens seem to be faster than hope island although still pretty slow compared to down south. Interestingly they sure redoing quite a few bunkers. What I didn't expect though was they covered the entire base of the bunker in bitumen. I know nothing about golf course design but was very surprised to that. My playing partner hit one in from about 150m and it took chunks out. Other than that the pace was good at 4.30hr and the fairways in decent nick. Played with two other hackers from nsw, one did ok, the other I think is still out there. Average but enjoyable day with 29 points.

Brookwater

Always wanted to play this but never have. Seemed ages out of Brisbane and clearly a course designed to flog houses. Plenty of those in Melbourne and generally are rubbish.
    I loved brook water. I really enjoyed the layout and played the best greens I ever had in qld. They just hosted the qld open I was told and club champs were in few days so rolling greens daily. My bad shot is a snap hook which I think I had two on the day but thank god it wasn't a slice. I have no idea how you would play the course with a slice- slowly I imagine! Played off tips and played ok , a few birds, lots of pars and two donations to the timber gods.
    Overall a course I will definitely visit again. Very fast round of just under three hours as only myself playing with missus nagging in cart and nobody at all in front.

Palmer coolum.

Was having dinner in fitzroy the other week and noticed they had a poster of Clive with big thumbs up advertising their palmer deal - all you can eat Parma for $30. Reminded me to play the course I'd seen on telly so many times. Arrived at 10 am and as most know by now, the place is a dump. Sad 80's qld I'm afraid. Felt sorry for employees.

Anyway it was only the golf I was interested in. Lost will to live on first hole. Some how, they forgot to mention all greens were heavily sanded. They were simply crap. After 4 holes I gave up even attempting to putt and just moved on to next tee.

Really glad I got to play the course but even apart from greens the course seemed its glory dates were over. The fairways had weeds coming through and the sheer lack of staff on the course was noticeable. I liked the layout and did donate this time to the water gods. Would never play again under current ownership and fear it may be another good qld course that will bite the bullet in a few years. Didn't bother scoring but took just 2.45hrs as only person there, on my nine at least. Saw 1 dinosaur and heard what I thought was Clive devouring a mignon on first hole.
    Noosa springs

This was a surprise packet for me as never heard much about it. Course was great and greens rolled true and just a stimp or two slower than brook water. Loved the layout and really enjoyed my round. Was asked by two kiwi blokes to join them on the first and they were cracking blokes. New would be interesting when one of them went for a beer from the cart at 9.30am!

I intend to play this plenty on return but will bring a lot of balls next time. Started with three in the bag and by 17 had to borrow one from kiwi mate. Promptly put his new pro v1 into water and he then tossed me a battered up pinnacle. Great service except for balls $90 for a box which were $55 back home is a flog, but will come armed next time. Round about 4.45hrs, busiest course I played but again a lot of fun.

Now back to sunny Melbourne!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thanks for the reviews, rodders. It's been ages since I played at Noosa Springs.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

"My playing partner hit one in from about 150m and it took chunks out"...............weren't the bunkers out of play?

Some new system -
    http://www.matrixbunker.com/frequently-asked-questions/
    Last edited by MAZA68; 20th September 2014 at 04:34 PM.

Out of the ball Maz. It landed in the bunker on the full from 150m - yes they were GUR.

Imagine what it will do to your club if the sand runs low.

Interesting comments on Palmer Coolum, talking to some guys from Palmer Colonial they said the course had gone downhill since he took over, although Robina was in good nick the other week.

I agree about coolum. Played there late last year and it was in pretty good nick still. Played again in august and it had gone downhill rapidly in that time. Layout is still good but conditioning was very poor. Very few staff (or customers) around too.

Luckily his Gold Coast courses seem to be faring better.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

That is sad.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Any reports on the Glades, Palmer Colonial or Lakelands? Along with Royal Pines I'll be playing 2 of these 4 in four weeks for the Pacific Golfer National 4BBB final.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I agree about coolum. Played there late last year and it was in pretty good nick still. Played again in august and it had gone downhill rapidly in that time. Layout is still good but conditioning was very poor. Very few staff (or customers) around too.

Luckily his Gold Coast courses seem to be faring better.
    What chance his grand plan is to run it into the ground and then try and flog off the realestate!
    It certainly is a familiar ploy for anybody working at a Qantas!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    What chance his grand plan is to run it into the ground and then try and flog off the realestate!
    It certainly is a familiar ploy for anybody working at a Qantas!
    Exactly what I thought Pete.

Funnily enough I posted a smaller review on iseek and the "director of golf" wishes for me to give a call. Wouldn't waste my time.

Here is a happy snap taken of the carpark at lunch time thursday.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Member Monthly medal winner

Any reports on the Glades, Palmer Colonial or Lakelands? Along with Royal Pines I'll be playing 2 of these 4 in four weeks for the Pacific Golfer National 4BBB final.

Played The Glades late August. I found the course terrific. If I had to choose just one course to play for the rest of my days this might just be the one. They were doing major bunker renovations and I'm not sure when they'll be finished, but I couldn't see it affecting your rounds.

Closing three holes among the best set I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Played Palmer Colonial today, course is looking great and greens were excellant. Clubhouse is starting to show signs of age and in need of a renovation.

Thanks for the feedback ... Hoping for Glades and Royal Pines but any of the four should be good!

Two courses confirmed today. Royal Pines and Palmer Gold Coast, which I think used to be called Robina Woods?

Robina Woods = Palmer Gold Coast. Good course was in great nick the other week. RP you'll get to play the across the road nine and a hotel side nine. One nine is coming back from a remodel.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 25th September 2014 at 07:29 AM.

Awesome thanks. Had a look at Robina Woods on google maps ... Plenty of water! Looks like a fun layout.

There's a bit of water but lots of trees as well. Quite undulating course for most parts. 17th is an awesome par 3

Member Monthly medal winner

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Awesome thanks. Had a look at Robina Woods on google maps ... Plenty of water! Looks like a fun layout.
    Played Robina last year. Sensational layout but no good in the wet IMO. The view from the 18th tee down the swaling par five towards the clubhouse is worthy of a photo. Especially if you're leading.

Good news ... Fingers crossed for sunshine!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by dunteachin View Post
    Played Robina last year. Sensational layout but no good in the wet IMO. The view from the 18th tee down the swaling par five towards the clubhouse is worthy of a photo. Especially if you're leading.
    Yep. it gets wet pretty quick. But is a different course to most on the Gold Coast, the front nine is a woodlands course with lots of elevations changes. The back nine start like more most resort courses, lots of water but pretty flat and open, but moves back into Woodlands style for the last few holes. The 18th is a classical finishing holes reminds me of the 18th at Coolum, Royal Pines, Glades etc etc.

Played Links Hope Island for the first time and I can't say I came away with the view ......"i'd love to play that course again" as I have from other courses. Whilst the layout is challenging the links style interesting the tee shots are to me very simlar - which bunkers to avoid. Thoughts?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Agreed. Hope island has never got me interested, even playing it for nothing.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    Played Links Hope Island for the first time and I can't say I came away with the view ......"i'd love to play that course again" as I have from other courses. Whilst the layout is challenging the links style interesting the tee shots are to me very simlar - which bunkers to avoid. Thoughts?
    Was it the Senior Pennant final? Did you win?

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    Was it the Senior Pennant final? Did you win?
    Yep finals, runner up this year. An excellant effort by the team considering that was the only match that was lost. I think Colonial were gunning for us as they got a touch up at Sancturay Cove which they didn't enjoy.
    If there is a team next year it will be Div. 1.

Thread Information