Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    Down 7 strokes in two weeks which seems a lot to me, not sure to hip hip hooray or not, quickly getting to one of my goals which is always a plus I guess
    Just went from $2.50/1 to a $15 shot for VIC Champs now.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Just went from $2.50/1 to a $15 shot for VIC Champs now.
    haha good, I couldn't have handled the pressure anyways Lefty

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Seven shots that is phenomenal

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Seven shots that is phenomenal
    yeah bit of a shock Buzz but keeping out of bunkers helps, I've only had 6 comp games so cap is still fairly volatile.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Pretty controversial way to make a welcome around here - good on ya Jumbuck! Welcome aboard.

What's your stance on belly putters?
    hate them!!! Cheating *astards

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    My home course handicap is 6 and occasionally the DSR comes in at 64 (par 67), which means that to play to my handicap I need to shoot 70, which is one better than my best ever score there.

That sort of thing makes it pretty easy for me to forget about the idea of needing to play to handicap to get satisfaction out of the game.
    Try having 76/77 DSR and shooting 29pts and losing more shots!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    Clearly the answer is YES. If you are really a pro you have no (little idea what it's like to stand over the ball and wonder what the! is going to happen). For me getting an extra shot on some holes is a massive psychological relief. My last 100 rounds ave out at 13.4. Which means there were lots of 90's. Earlier this year I had 3 decent scores the best of my life and had to play off 6/7 for 3 months. That is intimidating for a 59 year old whose best sporting years where in the late 70's. My nerves have gone my chipping comes and goes - my driving which has been ex disappeared for 6 months. I have chronic back problems fell off my bike twice, gout, torn achilles and have to hide my wallet every night as my soon thinks it's his! The days I shot 76 78 79 needed a fair amount of luck. I don't often have 28 putts!!!! If it wasn't luck I would shoot 70's more often. (5 times in 25 years is not ability - it's luck). When the hacker has 43 points he starts to dream of being at Augusta playing along side the greats. He comes home in a bloody cheery mood waiting for the next round. He thinks I my go down to the range and work on my mid irons. I might have a couple of lessons I heard that X is a good teaching pro.
    I'm rarely right according to my wife but I am so right here that I have the complete sh..s that only a handful of golfers care.
    PS. I love my golf course and the comraderie of our guys but now am looking for excusesnot to play as shooting 32s is a waste of time.
    You are rarely right!!! Never right is more like it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    If this thread was on Facebook, I would be unfriending it right about....now!!
    What's Facebook!!!!

It sounds to me like it might be a slope rating issue. Having played on courses with slope ratings for about 17 years, first in the US and then in Asia, what I think that is getting missed is the notion of the "course handicap".

Following comments have the caveat that I don't know if the new Oz system is like the USGA "handicap Index" system, but it sounds like it is very close.

As noted by Jumbuk, Blackwood would appear to be regarded as being significantly more difficult (slope 128 ) than a "baseline" 113 Slope rated course. Thus, there is (or rather should be) a "course handicap" that gets applied when a score card is submitted. For example, if one has a handicap index of 18, and I play on a course that has a slope of 131, my "course handicap" is likely to be in the 21 to 22 range.

It could be argued (and I know plenty of people that take the following position) that a non index or slope adjusted handicap system is "self adjusting" in the sense that people who might play at what could be regarded at a more difficult course regularly for a handicap of say 10 are probably better players that play on an easier course for a handicap of 10 and when these two nominally 10 handicap players play against each other in competition it is likely that the person from the more "difficult" home course is likely to score a lower gross, particularly if both players are unfamiliar with the course they might be competing on.

If course hadnicaps are not being applied then I can understand why Jumbuk is not a happy camper.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

What you call a course handicap is called a daily handicap here BillyBob, and yes, they are applied.

Slope is a pretty blunt instrument tho, and may not take into account the reasons why one course is harder than another one. It might be because of length (which I believe is one of the main reasons leading to a higher slope), or because it is a tight course, or with many hazards, etc.

Having said that, it does seem that quite a lot of the complaining that has gone on in this thread is from people who play the same course every week, in which case, slope, daily handicap and the DSR (daily slope rating) cannot be the reason they can't score 36 points - as those things cancel out every week.

I think people forget that even the pros don't shoot par every round...

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

The Slope system here is the same as in the US. When slope was introduced, everyone's handicap was "normalised/standardised" based on the slope of the courses they had played historically. The result is called your GA handicap and is what you would play off if you were playing a 113 rated course. This, in theory, means that GA handicaps are much more comparable than the two 10 handicappers in your example.

Thread Information