Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default My Cool Clubs Iron Fitting

Yesterday, a couple of mates and I went on a bit of a Sanctuary Cove Bender. Played the Palms course in the morning, followed by 2x Iron fittings at Cool Clubs.

Before I get into the iron fitting, the Palms is a very nice course - a good spot for the October Champs. The Palms clubhouse is also home to a most excellent Yoga class that saw us finishing in a herd of yummy mummies leaving. Outstanding.

On to the fitting, some people might wonder how this all works, so thought I might detail the experience. I got fit with Jack, a very down to earth fella, how was up for a laugh. We started by discussing my goals and outcomes I was looking for the fit. I had 4 goals for this fit:
    1. I have a set of i20 heads on the way, so fit me into the best shaft for them
    2. Fit me into the best combination he could, based on what he had available
    3. Increase the height of my ball flight, as I am a lower ball hitter
    4. Give me a hit of the Covert Forged, because they are hard to try around Maryborough.

My clubs for the day were my rocketbladez tours, running C Taper R+, buil 0.75 long. These I built myself.

We started by Jack taking CPM, Swingweight, and length readings of each club. I was proud to say I was within 0.2 SW points using his digital SW scale, but lengths were a little over the place (+/- 1/8"). The frequency machine showed my 6i was a little stiffer than the set, the 4i was a little weaker.

The fitting started inside the studio using a trackman off a mat to get baseline data. I was swinging my 6i about 87mph, smash factor about 1.4. Highlighted I have a slight out to in path, with a less open face giving me very baby cuts. Carry showing 155m, which I would expect on the course.

Jack grabbed a number of heads and shafts and we headed to the range.

Heads chosen: Ping i25, Nike Covert Forged, SLDR, Miz MP-54, 714 AP2, Ping S55, Callaway Apex Forged
    Shafts Chosen: GD Tour AD 65, Steelfiber i95, Accra Tour 80i, Nippon 950

We started with the Tour AD 65. A crazy light shaft, but launched high, and went long. Jack didn't think this wwould be the answer, but wanted to see if I could handle lighter shafts. From there we moved into the Accra. This shaft had beautiful feel, and I really enjoyed hitting it. Height was up, but dispersion was a bit wide.

Cycling through all his gear, it was obvious that some of my fitting numbers from previous fits had either been off, or my swing has significantly changed. I have been to a couple of less intense fittings, and have been put into 2deg up, 1" over. Jack was sure I should be std lie, 1/4" over. I swapped back and forward between my RBZ Tour, and the clubs he set for me, and it was obvious that 1" over is too long. It was leading me to flatten the plane, and hit bigger cuts.

We tried a number of the heads with this shaft, and it led to the elimination of the SLDR, MP-54 and AP2. I wanted to like the MP-54, but it was tough to hit consistently. The SLDR was just meh, and the AP2 I thought had quite a poor feel.

This left the i25's, Covert Forged, and Apex. We cycled through all the shafts again, and based on feel and numbers, it was apprent that the Steelfiber was the shaft for me. Once the shaft was locked in, I kept changing through the 3 heads. I specifically wasn't paying attention to numbers, just feel, and ball flight. By the end, the head said the i25's, the heart said the covert forged. In my books, these 2 edged the Apex in feel and performance. Once we were done, I asked Jack what he thought, and based on numbers and his observation, he said i25's just ahead of the Covert Forged. He asked if I want to try some wedges, so I hit a few Vokey's, Mack Daddy's and Fourteens. I hate to admit the Vokey's won, and with Jacks help with some setup issues, was able to generate a bit of spin for the first time.

We packed it up, then headed inside to finish off.

Final testing was some impact tape with different lie clubs, which Jack was happy to confirm standard lie was the go. We then talked through the options for builds. Can do new from USA for the top dollar, or they can build them in Aus for a bit less. No dramas to supply the i20 heads I have on the way either. I explained to Jack I like to build my own, to which offered no BS and understood if I wanted to go that way.

In all I was very happy with the fitting, and with the 20% voucher in our golf buggy from the morning's round, cost $158. I was there for about 2hrs, had a great number of laughs, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I don't think I will go down the path of buying from them - over $2k for the irons. I don't know if the i25 / Steelfiber won because I have i20 heads and a set of steelfiber shafts already ordered before I went. Maybe it is just won of lifes great coincidences, though if I could find a decent price on Covert Forged, I'd probably dump the i20's for them.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it might be of benefit to someone who wasn't sure what to expect if they were considering this type of fitting.

Final Numbers:
    RBZ Tour / C Taper R+: CHS: 85.5, Smash: 1.42, launch: 10.6, spin: 6151, carry: 146.8
    I25 / Steelfiber i95: CHS: 86.7, Smash: 1.43, launch: 12.3, spin: 6065, carry 153.5
    Covert / Steelfiber i95: CHS: 88.9, Smash: 1.42, launch: 10.3, spin: 5903, carry 156.0
    Apex / Steelfiber i95: CHS: 87.4, Smash: 1.42, launch: 7.6, spin: 5069, carry 152.3

Cheers,
    Ben

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Good read benno, thsnks.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You don't seem to have mentioned shaft length, flex, and swing weight?

I guess your driver SS is about 98-10
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Steelfibers, are u sure u accidentally went to ppgl??

Great write up mate.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Nice writeup mate.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    You don't seem to have mentioned shaft length, flex, and swing weight?

I guess your driver SS is about 98-10
    Ahhh, good point. The Steelfiber shafts were +1/2", the flex was S, but they were parallels tipped to an FM number (can't remember what that was). Swingweight was at D3 for the Cool Clubs clubs. They have recommended me for the same.

You are spot on for driver speed: 98-100

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Great feedback there mate. Is Cool Clubs the Gold Coast's PPGL? But with a driving range to boot?

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Can I ask you your HC?

Quote Originally Posted by dowdsy View Post
    Can I ask you your HC?
    Put it this way, he is that big a bushranger, he should start growing a Ned Kelly beard.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Steelfibers, are u sure u accidentally went to ppgl??

Great write up mate.
    Having been to both PPGL and Cool Clubs, here are some differences I have noticed:

PPGL
    Pros: Better selection of heads and shafts. Have a bigger studio and 2 hitting bays.

Cool Clubs
    Pros: Outdoor driving range, greater range of club building services on site.

Quote Originally Posted by dowdsy View Post
    Can I ask you your HC?
    14.something

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Having been to both PPGL and Cool Clubs, here are some differences I have noticed:

PPGL
    Pros: Better selection of heads and shafts. Have a bigger studio and 2 hitting bays.

Cool Clubs
    Pros: Outdoor driving range, greater range of club building services on site.
    Heard PPGL are starting to do a lot more "retro fits" and they have setup a full workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Heard PPGL are starting to do a lot more "retro fits" and they have setup a full workshop.
    They couldn't do hotmelt, and Cool Clubs can. If PPGL are getting more facilities in, that's a good thing.

They couldn't do hotmelt, and Cool Clubs can. If PPGL are getting more facilities in, that's a good thing.
    I think they will have all the toys soon.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Great write up. I have done Callaway, PPL and Ping, each has their +/- and I always enjoy the days. It always comes down to head (because we think we know) and heart, feel over statistics....love being a golf junkie!
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

It looks like we now have a club fitting ho category.

Nice writeup Benno. I wonder if you negotiated a retainer, knowing that some of us will be visiting for the Qld champs shortly.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Great review. So wish we had something like this in Adelaide...... Talking to CC's (on the phone) a couple weeks ago they mentioned they're looking at opening branches in other capital cities.

Nice review mate! Sounds like fate had it's way with your fitting :P

Quote Originally Posted by talbo View Post
    Great review. So wish we had something like this in Adelaide...... Talking to CC's (on the phone) a couple weeks ago they mentioned they're looking at opening branches in other capital cities.
    Be a little careful mate. I've had a bit to do with them in the past and I found them very persuasive.

So much so, I found I couldn't say no.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    Be a little careful mate. I've had a bit to do with them and I find them very persuasive.

Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    Be a little careful mate. I've had a bit to do with them in the past and I found them very persuasive.

Are u still taking about club fitting???

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Great writeup Ben.
    I couldnt see what stiffness you ended up with in the i95, regs or stiff?
    Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRH View Post
    Great writeup Ben.
    I couldnt see what stiffness you ended up with in the i95, regs or stiff?
    Cheers
    Pete
    The shaft in the fitting was a stiff parallel, that was cut to meet an FM number. Cant remember what that is. In my build sheet, it didnt give a stiffness, just an FM number. Think it was 4.6??? Not sure what that refers to in i95s though.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

The shaft in the fitting was a stiff parallel, that was cut to meet an FM number. Cant remember what that is. In my build sheet, it didnt give a stiffness, just an FM number. Think it was 4.6??? Not sure what that refers to in i95s though.
    Bummer, i was wondering what i95 taper shaft was comparable to the ctaper r+......but I think the i95's tapers and the parallels are different beasts.....same as the dynamic gold parallel vs taper.
    Looks like I will just have to visit cool clubs sooner or later

I have hit a few taper steelfibers in Darwin. The i80 stiff was very stiff, as was the i95. Way stiffer than the r+. The i80 reg was softer, so I have the i95 regs will be juuuuuust right.

Thread Information