Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Adelaide - welcoming golf club for solo player?

Hi!

I am a recent migrant to Adelaide from the UK. Being new here, I don't know a lot of other golfers here, so I'm looking for recommendations of golf clubs in the area that are welcoming to solo players (By solo, I mean I don't know anyone to bring along - not that I want to play on my own!)

I'm 36 years old, and my handicap would be low 20s. I've only been playing a couple of years - I got the bug late, but once I got it, I wanted to play as much as I could! Ideally I'd want to be playing with people roughly my age and ability. Once I find the right place, I'd be looking to join and play every week if possible (or at least as often as my partner lets me out!)

From what I can see, there are plenty of good looking courses in the area - but that I know nothing about! I live near Brighton, so even immediately near me there are courses like Adelaide Shores, and I drive past Kooyonga golf club every day on the way to work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for welcoming courses, or know a group or society or open day that would suit me?

Thanks!
    Last edited by coalesce; 4th April 2014 at 02:59 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Hi Coalesce, and welcome.

From Brighton there are a few decent courses not too far away, and at much better value than Kooyonga! Adelaide Shores is a reasonable course, albeit bland, but being public you never know who you're gonna get stuck behind, or for how long!?

As you say you're looking to join eventually I'd recommend The Vines at Reynella for one, I am a member there, along with a couple of other guys on this forum, and it is a good club to be part of. Similar travelling distance you have Flagstaff Hill, (good course but rounds there tend to be so SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW - yawn!) Thaxted Park, not what it used to be, membership was going pretty cheap a while back, (unsure of what it is at now!?), but the course condition tends to let it down.

A bit further afield you have Blackwood, Mt Compass, Willunga, Stirling, Mt Osmond ...... the list goes on!

If you want to grab a game at The Vines let me know via a PM and we can work something out; I'm originally from the UK too, (my avatar might give that away!), BUT have been here 24 years now.

Senior Member Major Winner

Welcome to the Forum and Australia for that matter Coalesce.
    Agree with every thing Nadg63 has said and recommended. They're good bunch of guys too.
    You've also got Marion Park or commonly referred to as cement hill straight up Brighton road if your desperate as it's not near the same standard as the others mentioned but is open to the public and getting a hit mid week should be no problem.
    Closest to you and quality would be The Vines, Flagstaff Hill and Blackwood.
    Kooyonga is one of the top 4 privates in Adelaide and not that easy to get into and does cost $$$$$.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

You're never alone in Adelaide. You may not see them but they're watching.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Hi Coalesce welcome

I was in a similar predicament to you 12mths ago. Taking up golf again and in a new State.

I ended up joining Fleurieu Club (Mt Compass) and haven't looked back. A bit daunting at first when you don't know anyone but now play every Sat. No problems getting a game on Saturday's always relaxed. About a 50min drive for me but I use that time to leave work and stress behind.

Fleurieu has a pay as you go option as well. Makes it very affordable if you only play once a week. Defiantly worth the drive if you want to check it out.

Vines is a very good course and the guys are good bunch to play with as well.

Any way good luck.

UK and Adelaide same same. Great courses everywhere! Enjoy the whacking and welcome

Welcome to SA!
    Handicaped

G10 9* / G10 17* / Idea Pro / MP-60/MP-32 / 588's / Rossie 2

www.jcgolf.com.au

Thanks for the information guys.

I will definitely be checking out the clubs you mention. Some of the clubs you mentioned looked a long way away on a map, but google seems to think they aren't that far so I'll give them a try.

It also looks like a lot of clubs here have a more progressive approach to membership - recognising that people can't play maybe as often as they would like. The Vines flexi-membership and Fleurieu pay as you go both look like good options for me until I can get back into regularly playing!

And 3puttpete, you made me genuine lol

Member Teaching Pro

The Vines is a great club, course is in excellent condition. Mt Compass rates high as well, tough track but
    Highballin has mastered it.

Hoping to play at Mt Compass this weekend. Looking forward to it.

So far all I've managed to do is 1 round at North Adelaide South Course, which was alright but better for the backdrop than the course itself.

From the comments above, I'm guessing Mt Compass is going to be a) harder(!) and b) in better condition?

I'm going to be playing Wirrina Cove in a couple weeks. Anyone played there recently?

Compass is going to be way harder than North Adelaide.

Can't help with Wirrina. Didn't rate it much from years ago and can't see it being any different/better now.

W.I.T.B

I really enjoyed Mt Compass. It obviously helps that I played well, but there's plenty of variety there, and it rewards good shots.

The novelty of seeing kangaroos on the course has not worn off for me yet. It may have done if one of my drives had been 6 inches to the right and hit one tho.

Its a shame its just a bit too far away in terms of travel to play there regularly. Maybe if the southern expressway didn't have 40/60kph limits for no reason...

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    I really enjoyed Mt Compass. It obviously helps that I played well, but there's plenty of variety there, and it rewards good shots.

The novelty of seeing kangaroos on the course has not worn off for me yet. It may have done if one of my drives had been 6 inches to the right and hit one tho.

Its a shame its just a bit too far away in terms of travel to play there regularly. Maybe if the southern expressway didn't have 40/60kph limits for no reason...
    I am biased here but I think it is a real gem of a golf course. It rewards good shots and punishes you if can't deliver. Makes you think about every shot.

Agree with all of that highballin.
    Has the grass bounced on the tees and fairways on the back nine? I was disappointed in Feb.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by HatchmanSS76 View Post
    Agree with all of that highballin.
    Has the grass bounced on the tees and fairways on the back nine? I was disappointed in Feb.
    Yeah it has come back. Those 45 deg days took a toll for a while but some good rainfall and it came back. Greens were coming good as well.

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

I did the same mate about 4 1/2 years ago (moved to adelaide as an Expat)

I joined the Vines and can't recommend it highly enough, great bunch of blokes, course in good condition all year round, the Pro is a great bloke, comps are good and the bar is too.

Mt Compass is a good track and a bit cheaper but from where you are is a trek - the Pat is good but rounds take forever in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by smb101 View Post
    I did the same mate about 4 1/2 years ago (moved to adelaide as an Expat)

I joined the Vines and can't recommend it highly enough, great bunch of blokes, course in good condition all year round, the Pro is a great bloke, comps are good and the bar is too.

Mt Compass is a good track and a bit cheaper but from where you are is a trek - the Pat is good but rounds take forever in the summer
    Yep, we're all a good bunch at The Vines, no Villa supporters left there either!

Thread Information