Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket 2014/15

Bailey and Hughes failed again.

5/116 against Zim. What is this rubbish

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Who would've thought a game against Zimbabwe could be so interesting.

In one way it was like watching a game from the early 80's, when 200 used to be a good score. In another way it was most depressing watching us struggle so badly against spin. If I was preparing pitches against Australia there are no prizes for guessing the opposition teams will want raging turners all the way.

Even though it is only a one-dayer against Zimbabwe, this might be an important outing for Nathan Lyon. I've always liked his bowling on good pitches, but he has occasionally struggled to do what he should do on turning tracks. If there is ever a chance to shine, this is it. Maxwell should be a handful as well, but will he be?

Of course, the other talking point already is Michael Clarke's fitness. The hammy appeared gone. This is a bad sign for the future. Hammy's and bad backs are a bad combination. Hopefully he'll use the next two months wisely in recovery mode. But if he has to go into cotton wool on a semi-permanent basis we could go from heroes to zeroes as a team pretty quickly.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Hope we can take a wicket sometime soon. Time to give Lyon a bowl as the Zim boys might give this a shake with wickets in hand

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy101 View Post
    Hope we can take a wicket sometime soon. Time to give Lyon a bowl as the Zim boys might give this a shake with wickets in hand
    Good call.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Used seven different bowlers in less than 20 overs. At this rate haddin might get a chance to roll the arm over. Someone got some big money on the Zim team as I really don't think we are trying to win this

That's how Clarke rolls, he's a genius captain on the whole.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I think you're all a bit quick to bag the Aussies on this deck. Lyon doing the job, and Finch's over showing it's because he's got some class, not just that it's a bunsen

31 years.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

The joke will be on the rest of the world when we serve up fast bouncy wickets in the World Cup.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Err yeah oops. Bag away

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Err yeah oops. Bag away
    Hahahaha did think you went early in defence of them. We really need to learn how to play spin

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

It would have been worse without another Haddin rescue mission ... Geez they are going to miss him when he retires he's played so many valuable rescue knocks in the last 12 months!

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    I think you're all a bit quick to bag the Aussies on this deck. Lyon doing the job, and Finch's over showing it's because he's got some class, not just that it's a bunsen
    I'm assuming you wrote that after Finch's first over, because he got hit out of the attack after his second over.

Overall, a terrible performance by Australia.

Lyon was Ok, but he didn't test them the way they tested us. Maxwell was awful, bowling a defensive leg stump line when he needed to attack off stump. And while you wouldn't really expect the pace bowlers to attack, they couldn't finish the job when the game was still there to be won.

One other thing I'll say. I started cheering for the Zims after Mitchell Starc started sledging them. Typical Ugly Aussie bully boy behaviour, against an opposition that didn't need or deserve to be sledged. He was pretty quiet in his last spell.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Lyon was Ok, but he didn't test them the way they tested us.
    Not happy with 4-44, every one of them a top order wicket? Lyon took twice as many wickets as any other bowler in the match and almost made a very very short list of Aussie spinners who have taken a 5 for in an ODI..
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I'm assuming you wrote that after Finch's first over, because he got hit out of the attack after his second over.

Overall, a terrible performance by Australia.

Lyon was Ok, but he didn't test them the way they tested us. Maxwell was awful, bowling a defensive leg stump line when he needed to attack off stump. And while you wouldn't really expect the pace bowlers to attack, they couldn't finish the job when the game was still there to be won.

One other thing I'll say. I started cheering for the Zims after Mitchell Starc started sledging them. Typical Ugly Aussie bully boy behaviour, against an opposition that didn't need or deserve to be sledged. He was pretty quiet in his last spell.
    Actually I was trying to say it was Lyon that has class, and using Finch's over that went for 17 as evidence, but I worded it badly

I was trying to get at that on a turning wicket, part timers like Maxwell and Finch are not going to do the job that a Lyon will do. You can more get away with it in T20 when you may only need an over or two from them, but when you want to get a full quota, you'll come unstuck as often as not.

Having said that of course, Maxwell and Finch are in the side for their batting, rather than because they are all rounders.

Interesting Clarke could bowl at the end despite being injured...

Steve Smith was the one we missed, and it's no secret that Clarke wanted him in but didn't get him. He plays spin superbly and can roll a few over too.

Good on the Zimbabweans tho, one part of me is happy for them having a day in the sun. It's no biggie in the overall scheme of things.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Clarkes on the next plane home.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

have to wonder how much longer he will be able to deal with the constant injuries.

Really hoping the real Australian team turns up tomorrow against the South Africans rather than the imposters who played last night otherwise we wont make 100.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Not happy with 4-44, every one of them a top order wicket? Lyon took twice as many wickets as any other bowler in the match and almost made a very very short list of Aussie spinners who have taken a 5 for in an ODI..
    I'm not happy with the 44 part. Two of their bowlers went for 30 or less, and our bats were in defensive mode most of the day. They seemed to be assessing Lyon's length quite well, so he didn't have the deception that really good bowlers seem to have. Still, at least he can hold his head up, and he won't be left out of the side again this tour.

We are going to need a lot of runs to beat South Africa.

Having said all that, does it really matter? This appears to be an experimental tour, to see if certain players have the right stuff. Mitch Marsh in particular seems to be being given an audition, which I hope he passes. At his best, he could be good for a long time.

The overall performance of the team ob this tour is a bit secondary in the wider scheme of things.

I'm not happy with the 44 part. Two of their bowlers went for 30 or less, and our bats were in defensive mode most of the day. They seemed to be assessing Lyon's length quite well, so he didn't have the deception that really good bowlers seem to have. Still, at least he can hold his head up, and he won't be left out of the side again this tour.

We are going to need a lot of runs to beat South Africa.

Having said all that, does it really matter? This appears to be an experimental tour, to see if certain players have the right stuff. Mitch Marsh in particular seems to be being given an audition, which I hope he passes. At his best, he could be good for a long time.

The overall performance of the team ob this tour is a bit secondary in the wider scheme of things.
    Lyon was bowling to take wickets, not contain them. That horse had bolted.

Agree a lot of runs will be needed. Should be interesting.

Agree about the experimenting. Tho it's ODI Marsh is absolutely auditioning for a Test spot, possibly sooner rather than later. He's starting to hit his straps and the selectors have earmarked him heavily for the one shaky spot in the batting lineup, even if he doesn't bat there. Agree he could be good for a long time, very likely a lot better than good if he keeps developing.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Mitch Marsh is just another Shane Watson with less ability.

Injury prone all-rounder that breaks down regularly.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Great knock from Hughes. Shame no one else did anything and he had to try to smash some boundaries. Hopefully the the lower order can pull their fingers out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    Mitch Marsh is just another Shane Watson with less ability.

Injury prone all-rounder that breaks down regularly.
    big call. showing fair bit currently with 85 runs off 50 balls

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy101 View Post
    big call. showing fair bit currently with 85 runs off 50 balls
    What a great knock from M Marsh!!!

Thread Information