Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Default Considering Adams a12OS - Same shit, different shovel?

I'm thinking about having a spare set of clubs to leave up at my BIL's place to save me lugging sticks around when I visit him, and to give his kids something to play around with if they develop an interest and decide not to play left handed like he does.

To this end, I started looking around, and it looks like I can pick up a set of Adams a12OS hybrid irons at an obscenely cheap price from rockbottomgolf. Probably Cobra Bafflers too, or Adams Super S, but I don't know much about the other two, so the a12OS set is leading for me right now.

Then I started thinking about my current set and whether I should think about replacing that with the Adams clubs and sending the current set up to the BIL. I kinda like my Nickent 3DX clubs and the hybrids have always been excellent, but they are probably approaching 6 or 7 years old and maybe I should think about a new set. I guess the Nickents are fairly shovelly, which doesn't bother me, and I'm led to believe that the a12OS would be even more so. I tend to be skeptical when people say there is a big difference between clubs, so I don't really get involved in the ho scene. Without the 2nd set idea I'd probably play my 3DXs until they fell apart, but I don't know if I'd be going past their shelf life at any stage.

So, for people that know about stuff like this, will I even notice a difference between the two sets if I switch? Is there likely to be any difference in distance control or dispersion of shots between the two? Has anybody used the a12OS hybrids and irons?

Should I go with the shiny shovels, or stick with the old faithfuls?
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Major Winner

If you are keen on some nickents, could make you up some 3DX pros, with Nippon 950GH stiff shafts.

In regards to using different irons - I use Ping i5's for 3 rounds a month while I am away, the Cobra Amp forged for a week while I am home, and to be honest I don't notice a major difference, maybe only for the first few shots or so.

My brother has the Bafflers and while very ugly they are insanely easy to hit and long. The pervious model, th red ones, are a bit better looking than the curren ones and tthe Nippon shafts are nice.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

benno, thanks for the offer, but I wasn't that keen on the 3DX pros. I've got the whacky 3DX hybrid set (the ones that came out with the 10-iron). Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I would buy a 3-P set of irons now. Hybrid iron sets all the way.

solarbear, thanks. I might have to do some more research on the cobras. I think the ones they are selling at RBG are the red ones, but there's no mention of nippon shafts (only stock, which I guess could be nippon).
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Major Winner

I work with a bloke who has the bafflers and reckons they're no good. Haven't helped him drop from rounds of 120 odd

I think I might try to talk him into letting me have them real cheap

Thread Information