Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default True Temper M80 Shaft review

Well I got sent some samples of the M80 Iron Shafts which are an 85 gram shaft. Previously these were only exclusive to the Asian market, but True Temper have now released them globablly.

These are a fair bit different to TT's other ultra light weight shafts. The TX-90, Dynamic Gold Super Lite and TX-90 all come in around 98-104 grams but are designed for people who have an average wrist release (tho the TX-Tour you need a lateish wrist release).

Until the M80 came out the only real shafts for people with early wrist releases (hit from the top) were graphite shafts. A typically graphite iron shaft runs in about 75-85 grams depending on the shaft (some are more and some are less). So you can see we are really now getting down to the graphite shaft weight but with the consistency of steel.

I put the M80 (reg flex) into a Nak NX-5 8 iron (had limited lenghts to work with ). For me not playing golf a whole lot anymore and starting to break my wrists early it was a dam fine feeling shaft. The TX-90 is also a great shaft but you need to be able to hold your wrists a little longer. The M80 is rather soft aswell, anyone with a normal swing speed will be playing a stiff flex or just under.

These shafts tho will really benefit ladies, seniors, early wrist releases or people who have elbow/shoulder/back problems. They do launch the ball high, but again, if you are breaking your wrists early then you need this.

Its also great to see True Temper starting to offer up shafts they used to keep for certain areas and tour players. Lately I've been doing a lot of work with the Tour Concept shaft which has been used on tour for 2 years but only in the last year has been released to club makers. This is another fantastic design from TT. They are also introducing a new Stepless shaft in November called the Black Gold. This shaft will offer heavier longer iron shafts and lighter shorter iron shafts which will try and give a constant static weight in the irons. I'm not sure I agree with this theory yet as with MOI you tend to be adding weight not removing it from the shorter clubs, but only time will tell

Hope this helps
    SMS316 é um feixe

Legend of OZgolf Touring Pro (European Tour)

Great review Ben. Well done mate
    RIP 1974-2006

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

whats the cost? compared to tx90 or SL?

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Peter,

Don't know yet. Will know by the end of the week. These are going to be restricted in Australia to only a few club makers and can not be sold as components.
    SMS316 é um feixe

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    Peter,

Don't know yet.  Will know by the end of the week.  These are going to be restricted in Australia to only a few club makers and can not be sold as components.
    Then why tease these poor bastards

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by terryand
    Peter,

Don't know yet.  Will know by the end of the week.  These are going to be restricted in Australia to only a few club makers and can not be sold as components.
    Then why tease these poor bastards

Terry.
    Thats the fun bit Tezza .. mind you tho most of these guys would prob snap the shafts
    SMS316 é um feixe

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

nice work Benny

.. now get back to the sweat shop :P
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Peter,

Ben

So how do I get a set to retro fit the wifes irons if they are not sold as components?

Miro,

You'll be able to ge tthem reshafted, just not buy them yourself to do the job.
    SMS316 é um feixe

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Excellent -when you get the prices let me know.

Thread Information