Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Umm. The Pope can't have, ummm, you know, relations?
    They never called him "Father" ?

Self Appointed Matchplay Nazi.
    Elite Endurance Athlete.
    Proud Blue Arseclown. Vocal Minority.

In the bag ...

Driver - Ping I15 9.5 Stiff Shaft.
    3W - RBZ
    Hybrids - Titleist 913 17 and 22 deg.
    Irons - Ping I5's
    Wedges - Titleist Oilcan
    Putter - Rife Deep Blue

http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_No=4010200385
    http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Marto65

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Im not entering this discussion or any others...
    Carry on.

Blog Entries

There was a bloke on SundayNight last night whose daughter was dying of cancer. Now, he was religious and stated 'if God wants her to live, she will live...if God wants her to go with him, she will go with him and I am fine with that'. He rejected calls from doctors to get her the treatment she needed and went down the prayer and natural remedy route, she sadly passed away...my question, if you are so insanely religious that you completely dismiss science why can you not see that God created these doctors and scientists and medicine? - He created everything else, right? Why not medicine, doctors and scientists?

I simply do not understand

Senior Member Major Winner

Live4, your making far too much scene.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Member Monthly medal winner

Quote Originally Posted by live4golf View Post
    There was a bloke on SundayNight last night whose daughter was dying of cancer. Now, he was religious and stated 'if God wants her to live, she will live...if God wants her to go with him, she will go with him and I am fine with that'. He rejected calls from doctors to get her the treatment she needed and went down the prayer and natural remedy route, she sadly passed away...my question, if you are so insanely religious that you completely dismiss science why can you not see that God created these doctors and scientists and medicine? - He created everything else, right? Why not medicine, doctors and scientists?

He also created apostates and gays , yet Muslims insist they have no place on this earth , why create them???.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

That, to me, is just another form of religious extremism. Blinded by faith, to the point that it overrules his love and compassion for his own daughter and the pain she must have been going through. It's really really sad

Personally I was always brought up to believe God helps those who helps themselves.... nothing wrong with using the best medical technology available (within ethical boundaries... eg no black market organs, etc etc).
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You are of course assuming that she was guaranteed of being cured if she got that treatment, right?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

You are of course assuming that she was guaranteed of being cured if she got that treatment, right?
    Where did anyone make that assumption?

Senior Member Major Winner

Now Blakey says "Where did I say they did?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Where did anyone make that assumption?
    if not, then what are you whining about
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

No. No guarantee at all. But the percentages would be higher than relying on divine intervention IMHO.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Just wondering how any 'God' has helped those girls kidnapped in Nigeria?

if not, then what are you whining about
    Where did I whine about anything?

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    No. No guarantee at all. But the percentages would be higher than relying on divine intervention IMHO.
    the article quotes doctors as giving her a 50% chance of surviving. The parents preferred to use their cultures natural remedy, which is a very common thing. That has nothing to do with any religion, it was their cultural influence, which may well precede their religion by a millenia or more. Nowhere in the story does it say that they were relying on 'divine intervention'

another media beatup, and you lot fell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Where did I whine about anything?
    then why did you try to speak for everyone.
    --
    Handy-Cap

then why did you try to speak for everyone.
    I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Just wondering how any 'God' has helped those girls kidnapped in Nigeria?
    Thats an excellent question.

God's probably sitting up there scratching his head wondering how humanity can sit idly by and let [insert any bad things here].
    --
    Handy-Cap

the article quotes doctors as giving her a 50% chance of surviving. The parents preferred to use their cultures natural remedy, which is a very common thing. That has nothing to do with any religion, it was their cultural influence, which may well precede their religion by a millenia or more. Nowhere in the story does it say that they were relying on 'divine intervention'

another media beatup, and you lot fell for it.]
    Where is the quote you are referring to? The specific quote from L4G (that I was referring to) was about the father trusting in God and prayer to save their daughter instead of modern medicine, not 'cultural influence' though in this case it amounts to effectively the same thing anyway.

Blog Entries

the article quotes doctors as giving her a 50% chance of surviving. The parents preferred to use their cultures natural remedy, which is a very common thing. That has nothing to do with any religion, it was their cultural influence, which may well precede their religion by a millenia or more. Nowhere in the story does it say that they were relying on 'divine intervention'another media beatup, and you lot fell for it.then why did you try to speak for everyone.
    The father stated many times that it was gods will when talking about his daughter living or dying. The Fact that he relied on natural remedies was due to his faith... Silly us for falling for the media beat up

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    Where is the quote you are referring to?
    Search on "tamar stitt" its all over the internet
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-nig...f-tamar-stitt/

The father stated many times that it was gods will when talking about his daughter living or dying.
    So in other words you accept what he says - good, see below for what he says.

But that doesnt mean it is the reason he refused the chemotherapy. Neither Sunday Tonight nor any of the numerous news articles, nor a blog from the Australian Skeptics society (athiests), not even the ABC have made the link that he refused treatment because of his faith or that it was Gods will. If he did the media would have been all over it in a big way, given how anti-theist they are, especially Aunty.

The Fact that he relied on natural remedies was due to his faith...
    No its not a fact at all, plenty of people rely on natural remedies and its nothing to do with a religion. Chinese Medicine is a good example of that.

Here is a fact from an article in the media
    http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1226799246452
    During the Supreme Court hearing in September 2009, Mr Stitt, an anaesthetic technician, said his daughter's doctor had initially told them she would have a 30 per cent chance of survival with the aggressive drug treatment.

It was reported that doctors had given her a 50 to 60 per cent chance of survival.
    He said because of this, and other side effects, he decided it would not be in Tamar's best interest to receive chemotherapy.

Plenty of people refuse chemotherapy for the same reason. This story is all about the issue of parents deciding for a child, and the hospital disputing that right, its nothing to do with religion.

Silly us for falling for the media beat up
    I lied, there is no media beat up.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 13th May 2014 at 06:55 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Feeling so safe in the Melbourne airport. It is guarded by ninjas.

I bet there's some hot ankles under there, lucky they're covered.

Thread Information