Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Match play who gives who what in shots and where ??

Ok this subject has come up before I think but I'm to lazy to look so I'll just ask the question.
    I've got a match play comp on the weekend and I'm playing a 15Hcaper and I'm of 20 so that is five shots that he has to give me ? is it holes 1 to 5 on the match play index , or is it down differently , plus how is it done the course has not got a match play index.
    Is this right ?
    Home Club Coral Cove GC
    Taylormade man all the way

goughy

I think you have it right. The lower handicap basically plays off scratch and you get the difference ie. 5 shots.

Very unusual not to have a match index! I think there is a set method for the index, but I don't know what it is. It was discussed a little while ago if you look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy
    I think you have it right.  The lower handicap basically plays off scratch and you get the difference ie. 5 shots.

Very unusual not to have a match index!  I think there is a set method for the index, but I don't know what it is.  It was discussed a little while ago if you look for it.
    Thanks mate I've also heard of there may be a percentage of the difference as well
    Home Club Coral Cove GC
    Taylormade man all the way

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The club will give you the match play index to use so dont worry too much dave.

The standard index is often represented in two different ways, one is in order of holes, the other is in order of strokes. which means sometimes people interpret them incorrectly. The easy reference point is the Hole 1 is index 18, and hole 8 is index 1.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Davemason
    Thanks mate I've also heard of there may be a percentage of the difference as well
    Not so long ago 7/8ths of the difference was used. This has been abandoned (everywhere as far as I know) for members, I think it may still be used in some clubs for Associates.
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Thread Information