Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default HEY JONO! I CHALLENGE YOU TO A MATCH MONDAY @ CARNARVON!!!!

Jono

Since we are both playing at Carnarvon, we should make it interesting. I challenge you to a match, head to head.....But this is no ordinary match....Oh no, this is for $$$....Big $$$......

I challenge you to a match for the princely sum of

$5

So, you up for it? Or are you some kind of chicken? Hmmmm?

Bring it on.....And don't worry, even though you'll be hitting second off all the tees, you'll hit it first from the fairways .....

Speirsy

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

do it Jono, you can take him ... he's got nuthin'
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    do it Jono, you can take him ... he's got nuthin'    
    Don't worry Jarro, this offer extends to you next time I'm up in Brisvegas, or if you are down here........

Speirsy

oops

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Is it a concern that you both have avatars of people fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Geez, I thought Jarro's was of a couple of guys about to make out.....My mistake I guess :P

Speirsy11

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Geez ... you didn't have to make your challenge STAND OUT SO MUCH WITH CAPITAL LETTERS!

You are on. I'm due for a good game at Carnarvon after the shocker there last time (and the time before ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Speirsy11
    Geez, I thought Jarro's was of a couple of guys about to make out.....My mistake I guess :P
    Speirsy11 .. head on out to Telstra stadium wednesday night and ask Carl Webb if that was what he was doing

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    Speirsy11 .. head on out to Telstra stadium wednesday night and ask Carl Webb if that was what he was doing  

I'll pass.....I've lost enough Hockey fights to know how to pick my spots. OzGolf, yes..State of Origin? Nope.....

I should have seen it coming when I saw this challenge written in CAPITAL LETTERS with extra !!!!!! at the end. I knew something was wrong when Speirsy decided that he should play me off scratch (i.e. give me eights shots for my 8 handicap) because if he played off his four handicap, he would simply "torch me". Speirsy is not known for his generosity when it comes to giving strokes and something smelled funny … not unlike my old pair of golf shoes stored in the boot of my car.

With a crisp $5 note and pride up for grabs, the game was on. If I win, I take Rob's Canadian $5 note, and if he wins, he takes my Aussie $5 note. I had the exchange rate at my side and after seeing his drive off the 10th (our first hole) go left into the trees and mine down the left side of the fairway, I thought I had this c*cky Canadian covered. Well, can a golfer be more wrong than this? Over the next 17 holes I was methodically dissected, not unlike the anatomy cadavers I cut up as a second year med student, processed and spat out the other end. And in a sadistic sort of way, I enjoyed it. It’s not everyday you get to witness an under par round. Rob shot 1 under off the stick today and it could easily have been 5 or 6 under par if he had some luck go his way. I counted 5 putts that missed by less than an inch and one chip shot that should have gone in. He drove the ball the best I’ve seen. 280 meters straight down the middle, every single time. We played with a couple of locals and they ran out of superlatives by the end of the round. Rob also putted extremely well. Many of his long putts looked like going in and he didn’t miss any of the short ones. His approach shots weren’t as good, but certainly good enough by any amateur standards.

The pinnacle of Rob’s play came on the 4th hole, a 510 meter par 5. He hit a beautiful drive down the right side, had 225 meters to the green, UPHILL. First he pulled out his 3 wood. Great. I get a shot on this hole so he might stuff up his second shot and I'll have a chance to get a hole back. Then he goes back and picks out an iron. What’s Canadian for chicken? Little did I realise that he had picked out his favourite club from the bag, his trusty 2 iron, which he proceeded to absolutely murder the ball with. To cut a long story short, the ball ended up pin high on the right fringe. He then sank the thirty footer for an eagle. =D>

The end matchplay score was 6 and 4, but remember this is Speirsy playing off scratch. I played pretty bad, but no worse than my other bad days … if that makes sense. If he played off his 4 handicap, I could have been dormied after 9 holes and we could have witnessed a perfect 10 and 8 win. And I would have rested in peace, knowing that my record as the worst Ozgolf matchplay loss could not be beaten ... ever. Mathematically impossible!

Anyway, well played Speirsy. I feel for your next victim in Ozgolf matchplay, whoever that might be … Hmmm … is that yummy FISH-fingers I smell for dinner?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I think we have our first "Ozgolf" handicap

Theres only one way to go now Rob and thats into the plus'

Always thought 4 was a bit suss

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Jono

You've wasted your time with Med School.....Should have been a writer.....

Thanks to Pinglauncher for hosting. The day was great....Perfect weather, good condition, and lots of fun.....Jono, better luck next time. I've still got the $5 in the bag for the rematch.....

Fishy, you're next

Speirsy
    Fat, drunk, and five-over-par is no way to go through life, son.

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Burner TP 14.5 Ozik 8M2 X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    Callaway X-Forged 4 Dot 4-PW PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 50*, 54*, 58* PX 6.5
    YES! Dianna

congratulations on your humility Jono. If i had of got beaten by 6/5 i would stick my head in a bucket of sand for a week.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by terryand

Terry.

I've always said that my Hcp didn't reflect my ability.....Just most of my golf is played in Vardon events on tough courses which leads to a lot of 76-78 scores, not 70-72.....I can promise you though, I'm no plus in AGU terms....Maybe in USGA, but not AGU.....

And, after today, I'm off 3......So Dan gets 15 I guess.....

Speirsy

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by terryand

Terry.

I've always said that my Hcp didn't reflect my ability.....Just most of my golf is played in Vardon events on tough courses which leads to a lot of 76-78 scores, not 70-72.....I can promise you though, I'm no plus in AGU terms....Maybe in USGA, but not AGU.....

And, after today, I'm off 3......So Dan gets 15 I guess.....

Speirsy
    Still along way from the 21 I had to give A-Lo

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    congratulations on your humility Jono.  If i had of got beaten by 6/5 i would stick my head in a bucket of sand for a week.
    It's not humility, Blakey. It's called self preservation. A defence mechanism. One can go crazy if he sticks his head in the sand every time he has a bad day on the golf course.

Thread Information