Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Choking down on driver

There's probably been a few threads on this topic before but I wanted to share some thoughts.

I've had trouble hitting fairways consistently with driver in recent months (yes, I know it's me, not the club). Anyway, in the last couple of rounds, I've choked down the grip (like Anthony Kim) and the results have been instant. I've never hit as many fairways (in recent memory) and my natural draw has come back. There has been no noticeable loss of distance either.

Looks like this a keeper.
    Last edited by TheTrueReview; 24th January 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I've started choking down on mine as well (about an inch, I think) and had the same results. Been thinking about having it cut down that inch so it would be around 44.5, but I'm happy enough just gripping lower and concentrating on getting all the factors in my swing working for the better.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I seem to have developed a bit of a knack for this as well - i have a hole on my course with a overhanging gum tree at about 180m, the choke down driver keeps it under. Much easier to hit under it than over it!

The trick is to not try to steer it, you really need to hit it as hard as a normal driver, otherwise you will spray it even worse.

I saw some stats somewhere that knocking 1/2 to an inch of your driver has a insignificant impact on distance anyway.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

I saw some stats somewhere that knocking 1/2 to an inch of your driver has a insignificant impact on distance anyway.
    That wouldn't surprise me. My longest drive today was 295m (GPS verified) & I was choking down at least an inch or more. Yes, the course was dry with a fair bit of roll but I'm just happy with the consistency. It wouldn't worry me if I hit every drive 220m as long as it was in the fairway.
    Last edited by TheTrueReview; 24th January 2010 at 01:26 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

When I first got my driver it was standard lenght and I was a short ass so I had to grip down It about 2 inches.

Since then I have grown and I am still in the habit of gripping down with the driver. I hit it rather accurate and attempts of holding it at the butt of the shaft have been terrible.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

When my driving goes off the boil I start choking down on the driver as well, it feels very comfortable actually.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zacdullard View Post
    When I first got my driver it was standard lenght and I was a short ass so I had to grip down It about 2 inches.

Since then I have grown and I am still in the habit of gripping down with the driver. I hit it rather accurate and attempts of holding it at the butt of the shaft have been terrible.
    Very similar story here. I've always gripped the club close to the bottom of the grip since I was a kid. Feels really weird if I don't. Never realised that was unusual until somebody remarked about it one day.

I used to be quite accurate with the driver when I played a lot, so I guess that had something to do with it.

I do remember reading a golf instruction thing when I was a kid that said that you need to make sure you leave a bit of the shaft 'behind' your hands as this helps with control. No idea why this would be the case though, I guess it's just a way of fooling you into playing with a shorter shaft.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Major Winner

All us clubfitters have been advocating this for years.

All the major OEM's give you a 46-46.5" driver shaft - Most guys on tour are 44.5-45", VERY, VERY rarely over that. Wonder why ?

It makes the club lighter and easier to control - especially with the whippy stock shafts they put in them.

It is just simpler . . . and way easier to hit this way.

Member Monthly medal winner

i've got a 45½ in in my G5, i grip it to play probably 44½.

gripping down for me has no effect on distance. so much more accuracy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Choking down brings the balance point closer to the hands and makes the clubhead feel lighter and more under control. Taking an inch off the shaft has the opposite effect, I would imagine, bringing the balance point closer to the clubhead. Choking down is good; altering shaft length not so good (may affect its resale value).
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Good point, however choking down makes the grip thinner which can also have an undesirable effect with the hand action.

Perhaps whats needed if cutting the shaft back an inch is to add that weight back with a plug or heavier grip. Its only a handfull of grams anyway.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    ... Choking down is good; altering shaft length not so good (may affect its resale value).
    Thanks for that Razaar. I was wondering about whether it'd be beneficial to trim some off the end. The Ping website says my driver has a shaft length of 45.75". I probably would've been choking down to 44".

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Another benefit of choking down is the ball can be played back in the stance more - under the front tit. This helps with a better turn behind the ball allowing the golfer to get a better view of the ball at the top of the backswing without a reverse pivot.
    With the longer shaft, the ball is best played under the front armpit to allow time for the clubface to square up to the line, which brings the reverse pivot and tilted shoulders into play for those golfers who want a clear view of the ball at the top of the backswing.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Thread Information