Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Default Fitted for new golf clubs?

Hi all,

Just wanting to know if it is worth being fitted for new clubs or is it just a load of crap?

Matt

Member Club Pro

If you happen to fit the lie / length / loft / grip size / head design / shaft flex / shaft characteristics perfectly, of the set of clubs you happen to buy, then its absolutely a waste of time

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I got fitted by Ned for my new driver

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

If you don't get fitted you will not achieve any piece of mind, at the very least, not to mention getting the most out of every game.

If you don't get fitted I guarantee you will look like Ned Kelly's avatar after every round.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I reckon it depends on how much money you're prepared to spend on clubs, and how much ho-ing you're looking to do.

If you're looking for the tightarse option, you'll be getting something off the shelf or second hand that roughly suits you, and maybe you'll get lucky, or maybe you'll just learn to play with what you get.

If you've got money to burn, and you're not planning on ho-ing a bunch of clubs, you should get fitted. That way you'll know that the clubs suit your swing and you won't be tempted to swap them for something different as soon as you start having a form slump.

If you're a frequent club changer (not exactly a rarity in these parts), you may be wasting your money getting fitted for a set you're likely to sell off as soon as you start hitting a few bad ones or something new catches your eye. Just churn through them until you find something you can't bear to part with.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    I reckon it depends on how much money you're prepared to spend on clubs, and how much ho-ing you're looking to do.

If you're looking for the tightarse option, you'll be getting something off the shelf or second hand that roughly suits you, and maybe you'll get lucky, or maybe you'll just learn to play with what you get.

If you've got money to burn, and you're not planning on ho-ing a bunch of clubs, you should get fitted. That way you'll know that the clubs suit your swing and you won't be tempted to swap them for something different as soon as you start having a form slump.

If you're a frequent club changer (not exactly a rarity in these parts), you may be wasting your money getting fitted for a set you're likely to sell off as soon as you start hitting a few bad ones or something new catches your eye. Just churn through them until you find something you can't bear to part with.

I have tryed a few clubs from Drummond golf and have settled for a set of Taylor Made TP R9 irons. I am seriacly getting back into golf and and its been 10 years since I bought my last set of clubs so this fitting thing is new to me.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by DracZ View Post
    of the set of clubs you happen to buy,
    that is assuming that the set of clubs actually fit the specification that they claim to be, and that each club is matched to the others.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by All-star View Post
    I have tryed a few clubs from Drummond golf and have settled for a set of Taylor Made TP R9 irons. I am seriacly getting back into golf and and its been 10 years since I bought my last set of clubs so this fitting thing is new to me.
    I'm clueless when it comes to clubs (I'm in category a in my previous post) but I get the impression you could save crap-loads of cash and end up with the same results if you bought the previous model or something second hand.

Of course, I don't know how you go about getting them fitted, but I'm sure there are people you can see about that.

Probably too late anyway if you've seen the shiny new R9s and gone all over them.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    I'm clueless when it comes to clubs (I'm in category a in my previous post) but I get the impression you could save crap-loads of cash and end up with the same results if you bought the previous model or something second hand.

Of course, I don't know how you go about getting them fitted, but I'm sure there are people you can see about that.

Probably too late anyway if you've seen the shiny new R9s and gone all over them.

I am a feel and looks guy when it come's to clubs and the R9's feel great and look go to my eye's.

I have a mate who was fitted for a new set of clubs and his golf has gottin worse. I tryed his clubs and they feel like crap, to heavy in the head for me.

Quote Originally Posted by All-star View Post
    I tryed his clubs and they feel like crap.
    thats the point, they should feel like crap if they are not for you.

You would probably also look like crap if you tried on his custom made trousers too.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    thats the point, they should feel like crap if they are not for you.

You would probably also look like crap if you tried on his custom made trousers too.

Yes your right about the clubs, but his custom made trousers do look good on me even if they are a bit tight.

Is it possible/cost effective to get fitted to my current Callaway X Tour Irons?
    Or should I just start from scratch with a new set?
    Last edited by Dazza; 23rd January 2010 at 09:06 PM.

Yes, it's worth it - plus what the other's said.

Cost you around $40-$50 a head depending on which shafts you buy. Obviously it could cost more but i think not less.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thanks MTB, I'll have a chat to the pro tomorrow.
    If a shaft change is required, I might as well start from scratch. Might be a good time to go back to a game improvement iron.
    Last edited by Dazza; 23rd January 2010 at 09:20 PM.

No charge for the fitting session, the pro will go through everything for me then give me the options/changes if required.

They normally dont, they cost of fitting sessions is included in the price of teh clubs/upgrades - because they dont make clubs without a fitting session.

The exception would be if you go back to get another club done, no need for a fitting session.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information