Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Default Golf Australia announce Handicapping System changes

Golf Australia announce Handicapping System changes

Since its formation in 2006, Golf Australia has been working to have in place unified methodologies for men's and women's handicapping and to strive to achieve regulations which provide for handicapping which is as equitable as possible.

With a view to moving further towards this goal, Golf Australia is pleased to today announce changes to the following sections of the Australian Women's Handicapping System AND Australian Men's Handicapping System:
    • Quantity of Score Cards to be submitted to Gain and Retain an Australian Handicap (NB the change regarding the "retain" regulation came into effect on 1 January 2009)
    • Club Handicaps
    • Guidelines re Determining Handicap for Player Returning to Handicap Golf After Not Submitting Score for Two Years or More
    • Handicapping of Four-Ball Competitions
    • Competitions of Between 9-17 Holes - Golf Australia Q&A for Committees
    Incorporated into these changes are amendments to some GA handicapping support resource material. Except where noted, all amended regulations will come into effect on Wednesday 1 April 2009.

The changes were formulated by the GA Handicapping & Course Rating Committee and have been ratified by the GA Board.

The changes are all detailed in the documents below. Also included is a memo confirming that the GA Board has extended the Women's CCR suspension period indefinitely.

Click on links below for further details.

Notice to Industry re 1 April 2009 Australian Handicapping System Changes

Competitions of between 9-17 holes- GA Q&A

Memo-clubs re: Extension of Women's CCR Suspension period

Source: Golf Australia
    Last edited by Ned; 4th March 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Attachments added

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Bugger. For a moment I thought they were going to reverse the decision about 36 handicaps.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Bugger. For a moment I thought they were going to reverse the decision about 36 handicaps.
    Wishful thinking, although there's not many players with a club handicap (higher than 27) that take their golf "on tour" to competition days.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Bugger, I thought they were going to change the whole system around to something more reasonable. Like what most of the rest of the world has. We're behind here.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGolfer View Post
    Bugger, I thought they were going to change the whole system around to something more reasonable. Like what most of the rest of the world has. We're behind here.
    If you are referring to the slope system then yes we are going that way actually.

Member Teaching Pro

What the rest of the world has?? Handicapping systems all over the world are different. We certainly don,t want the American slope system that makes it easier for players to " Manage " their handicaps.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
    If you are referring to the slope system then yes we are going that way actually.
    May God help us when we do - too many people dont understand the simple system we have now.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

All I know is that it takes me 2 years of shit golf to go from 5 to 7 and one week of good golf to get back where I started.

Me no likey
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

But Thommo, your Golf Link Link says you have been on between 3 & 4 for two years.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

CBF reading. What's the gist?

The handicapping system here in the UK is very similar to at home - almost identical in fact - not sure what this "we're behind the rest of the world" business is. I sure as hell don't want the US system, where you play off different handicaps at different clubs.

Though I do like that under the US system my handicap tends to be lower...

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

What's the gist of the new system? Do I have to click on the links?

edit: I started this post pre-dinner before the last few.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    What's the gist of the new system? Do I have to click on the links?
    No, couple of i's dotted thats all, the thread title is a bet sensationalised

3 cards instead of 5 to retain your handicap.

there is some stuff about been handicapped in 4BBB but i cant see what is new. Also 9 hole comps.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thanks Blakey.

3 cards to gain certainly makes mega-membership at Robina that little bit cheaper for me.

I might need to revisit that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    3 cards to gain certainly makes mega-membership at Robina that little bit cheaper for me.
    Is it 3 to gain as well. Blakey just mentioned it for retaining.

You would only have to play RW 3 times anyway, as you can have a couple of away cards go towards gaining your handicap (unless that has changed).

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Blakey just mentioned it for retaining.
    Yes, I kept it simple, didnt want to complicate matters. This handicap stuff is pretty hard to understand, just read any of the letters to the "The Golfer"

I cant beleive they print the same stupid questions/complaints month after month after month.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Oh, maybe it is just retain. I was just skimming like everyone else.

to "gain and retain"

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Henno, WRT Robina Mega Membership, you don't have to play your 5 rounds there to attain your handicap. My brother got his last year and he only played one round there (which he wasn't even required to do). I rang and talked to Dion in the office to enquire about it. While they would like you to play your rounds there you don't actually have to.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    Though I do like that under the US system my handicap tends to be lower...
    Interesting case at my club this year we had a new member from the USA who had a USGA 3 index. There is no provision to convert that to an AGU handicap, so he submitted his 5 cards around Brookwater and got a 17 hcap!

Now, I'd always heard that the USGA index was 2-3 shots lower than an AGU, but 14 shots is just ridiculous! The member has since won a couple of Saturday comps and got his handicap down to 14. Hasn't made him any friends in the club though!

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

It is brookwater, after all. He was probably a 3 on a far easier course. So, 3-4 shots for the conversion, and another 10 shots for the "brooky" factor

Still crazy though.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

there's no "brooky factor" at all. CCR is there for a reason and it (usually) works.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Yeah, I get that. But the CCR for brookwater is only a few shots extra at most. For a new member there I would say it wouldn't take that many lost balls to add 10 to an otherwise reasonable round.

We certainly don't want the American slope system that makes it easier for players to " Manage " their handicaps.
    pom: How does this happen and how will it be easier to do than in the current system?

I sure as hell don't want the US system, where you play off different handicaps at different clubs.
    Scottt: Why not?

They also have the same slope system in Europe and New Zealand. Even Ireland, Scotland and Wales wanted to shift to the slope system but were thwarted because of the English GU.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Played with a bloke yesterday trying to get his handicap again after a 5-10 year break. (Used to play off 17, but has just put in three cards around 98-100. Might have to offer a friendly welcome, and volunteer to play a couple of 2BBB with him in coming months.)

Admittedly after a couple of beers, we came up with the brainstorm that the first handicap could be an eclectic of the first three (or five) cards.

ps. I love reading those crackpot letters to the editor of Pacific Golfer, re. handicap and/or countbacks.

Favorite was the one that net should be calculated with one decimal place, because those decimal points are a measure of ability to play better.

Another letter was about working out countbacks based on the hole rating, as the current system (dis?)advantaged those hitting off the 10th on a two-tee start.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Thread Information