Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Default Playing as a visitor

Well, I'm finally getting around to getting myself a legitimate handicap. Given that I don't play enough golf to justify a proper membership (especially with a baby on the way), I've signed up with a nice country track for a good deal, expecting to play a few comp rounds closer to home with some mates, and the occasional holiday hit at my 'home club' in the winter.

Is this sort of thing generally frowned upon? If I front up to a local club and enter the comp as a visitor, what's the reception likely to be? Worse still, what happens if you win? I've had rounds ranging from 86 to 110 in the last 6 months, so there's every chance I could arse my way to a huge burglar-esque round. Can/should you exclude yourself from the comp and just play to get cards in?

Or am I just worrying too much?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Don't worry about it. When I was a member at Bradwell I played 30-some comp rounds and 5 were at my home track.

Grunt played more than 100 last year and I'd guess three or less would have been at Bathurst.

For someone who can play Sundays or mid-week, your option is a very wise one.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Grunt does this, and we don't frown on him.

You'll either be playing as a guest of a member, an Open Day or possibly a corporate/charity day, so it is no different to being a member of a club in the next suburb.

Some clubs, including ours, limit a guest to only 3 games on our course, in a calendar year.

Don't feel too guilty, with the reasons that you have listed.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Some clubs, including ours, limit a guest to only 3 games on our course, in a calendar year.
    Never heard that one before, but it makes good sense.

Our club is cutting down more on the "country members" of our club. You could still live in Sydney and be a 'country member' of our course so they limit you to I think 6 comp rounds a year and you can't play medal day or honour board events.

In regards to visitors we have now opened up our Saturday comp to guests of members on a trial basis and ti has been running for a few months now.

Although as guests can't get their name on the booking sheet until 1 week from the comp date and members can put theirs on 2 weeks in advance the system gets rorted somewhat in that someone books a 4 ball of members and then on the Saturday 3 members show up with 1 guest in the place of the member.

Despite this we never have full booking sheets except possibly on medal days, and if you turn up first thing on a Saturday and are prepared to hang around you'll no doubt get a game.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Kennedy Bay lets a guest play 8 times in a calendar year.

Anyway, I agree with all the previous comments. Enjoy your golfing freedom.
    Naturally grippy

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
    Never heard that one before, but it makes good sense.

Our club is cutting down more on the "country members" of our club. You could still live in Sydney and be a 'country member' of our course so they limit you to I think 6 comp rounds a year and you can't play medal day or honour board events.

In regards to visitors we have now opened up our Saturday comp to guests of members on a trial basis and ti has been running for a few months now..
    I once played a weekend comp round (Sunday, I guess) at Eastlake in a fourball of 4 visitors.

The country membership there looked like an okay option when I was looking last year, as did the pay as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    I once played a weekend comp round (Sunday, I guess) at Eastlake in a fourball of 4 visitors.

The country membership there looked like an okay option when I was looking last year, as did the pay as you go.
    Yeah Sunday can get all visitors on in a 4 ball.

The pay as you go is fine if you don't play much golf, but at $25 per comp round you soon rack up the $$$ if you play frequently.

I got in when the joining fee was less than $1k so it all worked out well, nice course, nice people (apart from those that give and take gimmees in comps I HATE THAT) but crappy clubhouse, although it does have cold beer.
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

[quote=mikezone13;307502]nice course, nice people (apart from those that give and take gimmees in comps I HATE THAT)quote]

Mike, are you serious?
    I've been playing for 20 years and never seen that happen in a comp.

[quote=kingslayer33;307506]
    Quote Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
    nice course, nice people (apart from those that give and take gimmees in comps I HATE THAT)quote]

Mike, are you serious?
    I've been playing for 20 years and never seen that happen in a comp.
    Unfortunately yes... the old buggers (and some not so old) will 'give the gimme' from a couple of inches, sometimes even more (how often does a few inches turn in to a foot - who here hasn't missed from a foot at least once in their life?).

I don't know what's worse, offering it to someone, or someone accepting it... I've been offered it many times (and cringe everytime - I feel like I'm the bad one for not accepting it) but can say I've never once accepted it and I'm not about to start any time soon.
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

Alister MacKenzie

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    Is this sort of thing generally frowned upon? If I front up to a local club and enter the comp as a visitor, what's the reception likely to be?
    Some clubs will treat you like a leper, seriously.

Think about it this way, a person who is a member of another club and has a handicap, it is taken for granted that he is a 'golfer' ie, can play, understands etiquette and club culture.

For you to rock up to a club as an unknown, want to play in their comp, when you don't have any 'credentials' as a golfer, it is not unrealistic for them to politely decline. Not to mention that it is your true motive is that you joined another club far away cos its cheaper, but they have to put up with you learning to play (thats what they might be thinking)

FWIW I did a similar thing years ago when i lost my handicap for a few years. I however introduced myself to the Pro, and wrote a letter to the Captain delivered personally, outlining my 'credentials' which was something like detailing my past handicap and clubs. Obviously such an approach showed them that i was a 'golfer', and I was made very welcome, and i continued to play regularily after getting my old handicap back.

It might sound a bit 'snobbish' but its a throwback to the old days where you would have to carry a letter of introduction from your club to get yourself a game somewhere else, without it, you did not get to play. These days the simple Handicap Card carries the same importance.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    It might sound a bit 'snobbish' but its a throwback to the old days where you would have to carry a letter of introduction from your club to get yourself a game somewhere else, without it, you did not get to play. These days the simple Handicap Card carries the same importance.
    It's not THAT long ago! I carried a letter of introduction with me and my last AGU handicap from City GC when I moved away from Toowoomba in 1997.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Our club welcomes visitors but you cannot win the comp for the day. Rosebud Country Club has the same policy.
    I would suggest contacting either the captain of the club or the pro and ask what their policy is. Most clubs welcome visitors.
    Hey - I'm Lady Captain at my club - you can come and play with the girls anytime you like.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergirl View Post
    Our club welcomes visitors but you cannot win the comp for the day. Rosebud Country Club has the same policy.
    Do they charge a comp fee on top of the green fee anyway?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Do they charge a comp fee on top of the green fee anyway?
    Yes. Doesn't seem fair does it. I used to be cross with Rosebud Country Club for doing that - I won there 3 times and couldn't get the prize - I got 3 balls instead. Then I came in as Captain at my club and found out we do the same thing.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    That sounds like a reasonable policy to me. I may actually enforce that rule on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergirl View Post
    I would suggest contacting either the captain of the club or the pro and ask what their policy is. Most clubs welcome visitors.
    Hey - I'm Lady Captain at my club - you can come and play with the girls anytime you like.
    Good advice. In some ways I'd be happier to sit out of the comp if that made people happy. I'm not really concerned about the winning and losing bit. Dunno if I could handle being the worst player in a ladies foursome though.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Some clubs will treat you like a leper, seriously.

Think about it this way, a person who is a member of another club and has a handicap, it is taken for granted that he is a 'golfer' ie, can play, understands etiquette and club culture.

For you to rock up to a club as an unknown, want to play in their comp, when you don't have any 'credentials' as a golfer, it is not unrealistic for them to politely decline. Not to mention that it is your true motive is that you joined another club far away cos its cheaper, but they have to put up with you learning to play (thats what they might be thinking)

FWIW I did a similar thing years ago when i lost my handicap for a few years. I however introduced myself to the Pro, and wrote a letter to the Captain delivered personally, outlining my 'credentials' which was something like detailing my past handicap and clubs. Obviously such an approach showed them that i was a 'golfer', and I was made very welcome, and i continued to play regularily after getting my old handicap back.

Nah, that's more than reasonable. I've got no illusions about the fact that I'm taking the tight-arse road here, and some blokes might be annoyed by that. The minute I start playing enough rounds to justify a membership I'll join one of the clubs I'll be visiting.

Generally I'll be sticking to clubs that are more likely to appreciate extra paying numbers on their sheet - I'm not the sort to brazenly play in an environment where I'm obviously an intruder. That said, I'm open to offers from Royal Melbourne members .

Thread Information