Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Blackberry V I-Phone V Nokia E71 Phone

Hello All!

I'm looking at getting a new phone, with the main criteria being an ability to read and send emails. Preferably I need something that can syncronise with Microsoft office (my understanding is that this is not possible on the IPhone???).

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, as would any good deals going at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Wife got the Blackberry storm about a month ago. She loves it, the touch screen makes it too easy!
    $79/month on a Vodafone Business cap for 24 months (Called a business plan, but anyone can get it) With 3 months access free. Ends up bringing it back to about $69/month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodafone
    $79 Vodafone single Business Cap for BlackBerry® Storm™ smartphone with 3 months FREE access

$79 plan over 24 months includes:
    3 months FREE access+
    FREE* BlackBerry® Storm™ smartphone
    Unlimited* BlackBerry® Email and Internet
    560 minutes and 200 TXTs a month
    No flagfall on any standard domestic calls
    http://store.vodafone.com.au/blackberrystorm/Home.aspx

We went to one store and mentioned the deal online, but he wouldn't give us the 3 months free access for some reason. Said the deal they advertise online is not available through some stores because they're run as franchises.
    Also said that the Blackberry was crap, and proceeded to show us an article written by a journo who'd used the phone for 2 days and had written it off already. Then proceeded to show us all the Iphone Fanboi comments about the article, bagging the Blackberry.

Headed to Townsville, and got the 3 months free. No dramas!

Hope that helps!!!
    Last edited by Dazza; 20th February 2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Desert Golfer

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by golfnugget76 View Post
    Hello All!

I'm looking at getting a new phone, with the main criteria being an ability to read and send emails. Preferably I need something that can syncronise with Microsoft office (my understanding is that this is not possible on the IPhone???).

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, as would any good deals going at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Your understanding is misguided, and/or you've been talking to a salesman who doesn't like iPhones.

The Nokia E71 is the best consumer device. Simplest to use, and you're not locked into a BlackBerry. This is the most commonly supported phone our company runs presently (including the predecessor - the E61i).

The iPhone is the best device of the lot, but very heavy on multimedia, and you will need a significant data package on top of your normal calls + text (telco's offer these in a bundle).

BlackBerry's suck, unless you are given one by your office. There is no reason for a consumer to use a BlackBerry. In the enterprise (not the spaceship), they are very popular.

I use an 8 Gb iPhone synch'ing with Microsoft Exchange (Outlook), and it's the best device I've ever used. This is on the back of the HTC TyTN II, a Samsung BlackJack, and the Palm Treo. I used the BlackBerry at my last job, and although I concede that there are more recent handsets than what I used, I think they are poor in comparison.

Another option is the new Google phone being released by HTC... although I'm hearing bad reviews (early days though).
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

The Nokia E70 is the pinacle of human achievement, and I love it more than my family:

Source: The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face.

Listen to Fisho - I cannot tell you how much of a pain the arse Blackberrys are.

The billing, technology and architecture deserves to be left in the late 90's.

IPhone is the best gadget, the Nokia is more robust.

Avoid the Blackberry, they are like Macintosh people - they all have to keep telling each other how good they are, just to keep themselves from relising that they are too old, too expensive and not fast enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    The Nokia E70 is the pinacle of human achievement, and I love it more than my family:

Source: The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face.
    Quality website. Hours of fun and laughter to be had.
    Naturally grippy

Besides, Tube8 has an iPhone enabled version of its site
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

goughy

If you're not after telstra, then also look at the samsung omnia! I got mine on a special deal from optus online free on a 24mnth plan - $49 for $300 of calls/txt etc and another $5 for data package. I luuuuuuuuuv it, and it can cut and paste

8g storage and can take up to 16g cards. Screen resoution and size is a touch down on the iphone but I don't notice it. Downloaded a free keyboard program which is fantastic and makes it uber easy to use. Also have full navigation on it now too with tomtom and it works sweet so far.
    Last edited by goughy; 20th February 2009 at 04:31 PM.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I just got an HP 612c. Very nice bit of gear.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

I have a Blackberry, but its company issue.

I like it, and I like that its smaller than the other options, but I also don't have a choice and don't really use it for anything other than e-mail and phonecalls. I do like the way it syncs perfectly with my outlook, especially on contacts and calendar.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

goughy

The main thing that turned me off blackberry's were the plans you have to get them on.

mine is company issue.

If I went back to being a personal phone user, I would just get a phone. One that makes and receives calls and text messages.

I ****ing hate getting e-mails!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

goughy

Gotta love those company issues!!

I need to have pda functionality. And I like the emails simply because it's the best way to contact clikchic at work. Other than that I don't get them from anybody.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by golfnugget76 View Post
    Preferably I need something that can syncronise with Microsoft office
    Get a phone that runs Windows Mobile 6.

Synchronising can be a nuisance with the non-windows phones, there always seems to be some little thing that doesnt work out right.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I've used the Blackberry from work back in the day and said I would never go back to one due to poor reliability and slow processing. Well I did. And I paid the price. The Bold is a POS. After countless repairs and having a fellow Canadian and RIM rep @ the gym say that the Bolds and Storm have software issues that they are working on made me switch back to a reliable Nokia and the E71. It's like going back (or taking back) that girl you are so attracted to, F*'s you over at the end of it all. Again.

Just my 2 cents which by the time you read this is now worth 1.3 cents
    Last edited by CanuckDownUnder; 21st February 2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo
    CLEVELAND TL310 8.5* Grafalloy Blue X
    18* BALDO Competzione Graf Blue X
    I:Cleveland 588 Pro CB KBS X
    W: Ping Glide 3.0 KBS X
    P:Wilson 8802
    B:TP5
    B:Titleist Staff Stand
    S: Air Jordan 5

Wow, thanks everyone - some great info there. It's great to hear about diffrent experiences - i appreciate your feedback!

The only problem is I am now considering about 10 different phones!

goughy

Sux doesn't it! And then you have the HTC Touch Diamond 2 and Pro 2 in the wings, the Samsung Omnia HD.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckDownUnder View Post
    I've used the Blackberry from work back in the day and said I would never go back to one due to poor reliability and slow processing. Well I did. And I paid the price. The Bold is a POS. After countless repairs and having a fellow Canadian and RIM rep @ the gym say that the Bolds and Storm have software issues that they are working on made me switch back to a reliable Nokia and the E71. It's like going back (or taking back) that girl you are so attracted to, F*'s you over at the end of it all. Again.

Just my 2 cents which by the time you read this is now worth 1.3 cents
    everyone at work that upgraded to the bold has been complaining, I still have the old pearl one that doesn't have the full keyboard and its been fine.

I wouldn't mind one of those new storm ones, but IT tell me that Testra don't support them.
    Moe Norman

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I've got a Curve through work and its a beauty. Bolds are too big, easily damaged POS

Thread Information