Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default How is the Match Index Order determined?

Started some discussion with Amanda on the order of the indexeseses in matchplay, and I thought I would move it out of the results thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy
    She had to give me 4 shots - and on weird holes too - apparently the matchplay index of every course is the same the world over.
    Quote Originally Posted by I
    Yep, I checked this with our trainee pro earlier in the year.
    I had to give one guy only one shot, but it was on this really easy par 5. (The 7th, if you remember it.)
    We couldn't figure out why, out of all the holes, this was match index 1. It was like handing him the hole. We were told pretty much what you have been told above.

The only thing that upsets this system is if the course has quite a few par 3s (which Nambour does).
    33-4. Handicap Stroke Table
    The Committee must publish a table indicating the order of holes at which handicap strokes are to be given or received.

I did a couple of quick searches on it and the only useful thing I found was on the English Golf Union site. However, I'm not exactly sure how relevant it is.

Quote Originally Posted by English Golf Union
    STROKE INDEX ALLOCATION

(HANDICAP STROKE TABLE)

Rule of Golf 33-4 requires Committees to “publish a table indicating the order of holes at which handicap strokes are to be given or received”. To provide consistency at Clubs it is recommended that the allocation is so made as follows:

(a) Of paramount importance is the even spread of the strokes to be received at all handicap differences over the 18 holes.

(b) This is best achieved by allocating the odd numbered strokes to the more difficult of the two nines, usually the longest nine, and the even numbers to the other nine.

(c) The first and second stroke index holes should be placed close to the centre of each nine and the first six strokes should not be allocated to adjacent holes. The 7th to the 10th indexes should be allocated so that a player receiving 10 strokes does not receive three strokes on consecutive holes.

(d) None of the first eight strokes should be allocated to the 1st or the last hole, and at clubs where competitive matches may be started at the 10th hole, at the 9th or 10th holes. This avoids a player receiving an undue advantage on the 19th hole should a match continue to sudden death. Unless there are compelling reasons to the contrary, stroke indexes 9, 10, 11 and 12 should be allocated to holes 1, 9, 10 and 18 in such order as shall be appropriate.

(e) Subject to satisfying the foregoing recommendations, when selecting each stroke index in turn holes of varying length should be selected. Index 1 could be a par 5, index 2 a long par 4, index 3 a shorter par 4 and index 4 a par 3. There is no recommended order for this selection, the objective being to select in index sequence holes of varying playing difficulty. Such a selection provides more equal opportunity for all handicaps in match play and Stableford and Par competitions than an order based upon hole length or difficulty to obtain par.

Note 1: Par is not an indicator of hole difficulty. Long par 3 and 4 holes are often selected for low index allocation in preference to par 5 holes on the basis that it is easier to score par on a par 5 hole that 4 on a long par4. Long par 3 and 4 holes are difficult pars for low handicap players but often relatively easy bogeys for the player with slightly higher handicaps. Difficulty in relation to par should not be taken into account when selecting stroke indexes.

Note 2: When allocating a stroke index it should be noted that in the majority of social matches there are small handicap differences thereby making the even distribution of the lower indexes of great importance.

The above recommendations supplement those made by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews contained in “Guidance Notes for Club Committees”.
    Has anyone been told anything different?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

MP Index at my course here is the same as the SP Index....
    same all over the courses around asia...(roughly)...

defn not the case in RP tho...
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Had a look at Nambour's indexes. It roughly follows some of the above guidelines. In particular, sub-paras (a) to (c), but doesn't follow sub-para (d).

I also noted that the ladies and men's match indexes were different. So that indicates to me that the difficulty or length of a hole, much come into assessing the order.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The main premise of the matchplay index is to even spread out the shots over 18 holes. Eg, if 10 strokes, then it would be 5 each 9 and roughly every second hole.

Further, it is likely that an easy par 4 would be index 1, and a difficult par 4 index 18, becuase in the latter case, a difficult hole is more likely to be halved.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information