Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comps

Senior Member Major Winner

Default Comps

I've been nominated as club captain and it looks like I'm gonna get it.

What I want to do is get some ideas from you guys and girls regarding your own club, particularly how your monthly medal is run .

Our current monthly medal is , to me , quite meaningless. The course isn't set up any harder than normal, is played on a Sunday ( small field ) and the prize is possession of an old pewter mug for a month, used for getting club members to buy you drinks until your month of drunken bliss has ended.

There is also no match play here at all. By the sounds of it you guys down south seem to play a lot of it.

My plan is to set the course up for the MM as tough as possible, without going overboard. Maybe have an embroidered shirt ( MM winner May 2005, or summin like that ) as the prize and have all the 12 winners play off at the end of the year.

I also want to have a club match play championship, off handicaps , open to both male and female and a graded match play championship , A, B and C grade off scratch.

What do you all think ?

Other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Mike, which club are you a member of? The pewter mug thing sounds like something they do at City Golf Club in Toowoomba

I ask because knowing some of the courses around SE Qld, setting them up too hard would make the MM too unappealing to some of the shorter-hitting and less accurate members.

I agree that it should be set up harder than a usual competition round, but it shouldn't be as hard as say a blue or black marker day.

And it should definitely be held on a Saturday...

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Congrats on the club captain job miike

Can I start by saying free games for Ozgolfers travelling north is a good start

Just finished playing our MM and we play stroke off the tips (blue markers)
    It was set up really hard today with about 2" of rain falling during the game

Couple of things:
    How big are your fields for Sat comp.
    what sort of game do you play the most (stroke, par, stab or fourballs)
    how many whingers do you have

We had our medal round today, and the blokes i played with (20+ years members) consider the course set up *too* hard for medal rounds. Tee's are always back to the plates (nothing new there) and pins tucked away in corners on fast (bare in places) greens.

Comments such as the course being set up for something the course isn't - so i guess know the limitations.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by davidp
    Mike, which club are you a member of? The pewter mug thing sounds like something they do at City Golf Club in Toowoomba
    Mareeba , near Cairns, Dave.

I've heard of the "monthly mug " at quite a few places. I don't want to get rid of it, I just feel the MM should be the highlite of the golfing month, not a dribble fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Onewood
    Can I start by saying free games for Ozgolfers travelling north is a good start
    Sure and you can have free beer for a month if you win our monthly medal

Couple of things:
    How big are your fields for Sat comp.
    On a good day we'll get 40/50. Can be as low as 30 depending on stuff.

what sort of game do you play the most (stroke, par, stab or fourballs)
    MM is always stroke. 95% of comps are stroke, stab or 4ball. Par ? Is that VSS ? Looking through the book there is a Bisque Bogey ( ??????? ) and a few VSS's. I think that's par.

There's even a mixed canadian foursome in there, whatever the hell that is.
    how many whingers do you have
    I'm about to find this out

goughy

Apart from any honour board events the mm should be about your biggest events for the year. I don't think there is anything wrong with setting a resonable difficult course. I'd think you'd want something that played a shot harder than it's ccr.

Who supplies the prizes. Many are donated by members and local businesses at city gc. I used to donate a prize until they stopped asking me . For a prize on a sunday comp they only wanted us to spend about 30 to 50 dollars. I gave away a golf mag subscription last time and the winner was quite happy. They don't have to be expensive prizes, but if they are half decent then people will consider playing. Make sure they are supplied in advance and have them on display in the clubhouse with a card displaying the comp and date they are for. The names of the companies/people who supply the prizes are in the fixture book with the event, displayed on the prize card and also on the timesheet for the event. The people supplying the prizes get to play free for the day, even if not a club member.

Also, how about an end of year comp for all the different grade winners for a mm championship.

Davidp, did you live in toowoomba? Jaster and I are members a city, and brisvegas is a country member. Small world eh.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy
    Davidp, did you live in toowoomba? Jaster and I are members a city, and brisvegas is a country member. Small world eh.
    I'm a country member at City. For the number of times I get to play (about once every 3 weeks), it made better economical sense to join as a country member somewhere. I come up to Toowoomba once a month or so. Next time I'm up I'll let you guys know. Last time I was there I played with Nigel Weldon. Hmmmm...Fairways and greens all day...

Mike, no matter what you do, members will whinge. It's human nature, especially if you have a high proportion of retired people as members. Do what you think is right for the future of the club.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Re: Comps

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    have all the 12 winners play off at the end of the year.
    This is done at Nambour. I think it is a good idea.

I also want to have a club match play championship, off handicaps , open to both male and female and a graded match play championship , A, B and C grade off scratch.
    I got my first taste of competition matchplay, thanks to a handicap matchplay event, earlier this year. It was great and I loved playing it. I qualified due to playing well in a couple of nominated rounds.
    We also have a 4B matchplay event.

Does club captain have the power to make all of these changes?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Mike
    most clubs I know of have a medal for monthly medal. Ours is about the size of a Olympic medal. However these are supplied by a sponsor. Other places just have a shirt thats embroidered - but you gotta give them something.

MM should be played off the back tees - there is simply no question about that. However the course does not have to be set up 'tough' in fact it should never be, unless your having a joke round, like an ambrose.

Typcially pin positions should always set up as follows regardless of the event;
    6 left, 6 right, 6 centre.
    6 front 6 middle 6 back.
    6 hard, 6 medium, 6 easy.
    and should avoid having a consecutive holes with similar positions. definitely no more than 2

It might seem difficult to get all that together, but its a guide not a rule. And far easier to work it out on a peice of paper first rather than do it one hole at a time in adhoc fashion.

Some clubs have a formal system, dividiing each green into 6 zones, and numbering them.

Greenkeepers are generally competent enough to get this right but some have no idea. My only stint on a match committee, resulted in the Captain marking out the holes with a spray can on Friday night.

Also to promote the MM, give the winners a free Pot of beer and they have to skull it. Thats always a bit of fun.

I like the idea of the Monthly Mug. One club has the system where the Mug gets free beer for a month, all he has to do is tap someone on the shoulder and he gets a beer. But if he taps somone on the shoulder a second time during that month - he shouts the bar.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Legend of OZgolf Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    Mike
    most clubs I know of have a medal for monthly medal. Ours is about the size of a Olympic medal. However these are supplied by a sponsor. Other places just have a shirt thats embroidered - but you gotta give them something.

I like the idea of the Monthly Mug. One club has the system where the Mug gets free beer for a month, all he has to do is tap someone on the shoulder and he gets a beer. But if he taps somone on the shoulder a second time during that month - he shouts the bar.
    Yeha Ballina has all there. A shirt with the Date on it saying MM winner. Also the winner gets a mug to keep & the one free beer from every Member.
    RIP 1984-2006

Prizes for golf in Mareeba? How about some of that sun dried mango, or that locally grown coffee? Mmmmm, coffee......
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    My plan is to set the course up for the MM as tough as possible, without going overboard. Maybe have an embroidered shirt ( MM winner May 2005, or summin like that ) as the prize and have all the 12 winners play off at the end of the year.
    Cairns GC does exactly what you have described. The event is always stroke, the tee markers are as far back as possible, and the winner gets an embroidered shirt and a medal. At the end of the year, on a nominated day, all of the MM winners play a stroke round with the best score on thet day winning the overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy
    Prizes for golf in Mareeba? How about some of that sun dried mango, or that locally grown coffee? Mmmmm, coffee.....
    Don't joke about it, FD. The last time I went to Mareeba to play with Mike I finished 2nd or 3rd and won a box of Mangoes. First place got 2 boxes.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Typcially pin positions should always set up as follows regardless of the event;
    6 left, 6 right, 6 centre.
    6 front 6 middle 6 back.
    6 hard, 6 medium, 6 easy.
    and should avoid having a consecutive holes with similar positions. definitely no more than 2
    Thanks Blakey, that'll make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Single Figues
    Don't joke about it, FD. The last time I went to Mareeba to play with Mike I finished 2nd or 3rd and won a box of Mangoes. First place got 2 boxes.
    C'mon Courty, you've gotta admit they were nice mangoes.

By the way , you got third, Dave got second, and I won

A while back I was in the clubhouse when the MM winner was doing the rounds scrounging beers out of everyone. He looked at me through bleary eyes obviously trying to figure out if I'd bought him one that month. ( I hadn't )
    I looked at him and said " Go on , ask me ". He shook his head and went to find the next sucker.

Hehe.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Mike, A good idea for a meet the new captain is to have a shot gun start one Sat and a sausage sizzle you could also call it a "meet your fellow members day"

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Mike - congratulations on becoming Captain. I think the ideas you've come up with sound great. We too play off at the end of the year for the "Medalist of Medalists" ( or whatever it is called) - and apart from the Club Championships is what everyone wants to win.

Just remember the words of - oh crap - I've forgotton who sang it - hang on - it'll come to me - you know - Went to a Garden Party dumdee dumdee dum - "You can't please everyone so you gotta please yourself."

You can never make everyone happy - so it's no good losing sleep over it. Just keep the previous Captain on side cos previous position holders can be the biggest whingers.

Mixed Canadian is when you both tee off then choose the best ball and play that as in normal foursomes. ( thats how we play it anyway) It's probably my favourite

Ah...........Ricky Nelson sang it..I knew I'd get it!!!!!
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Thread Information